LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Daylight Savings time?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-05, 04:34 PM
Robert Kon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Daylight Savings Time Adjustment

If the Daylight Saving time feature doesn't do self adjustment then what is it and the "Time Zone" feature for on the NAV screens? The day after Daylight Savings began my LS430 clock was off by an hour although the "Auto Adjust" was set to "on" and the "Daylight Saving Time" was set to "on". The "Adjust Clock" screen also has a Time Zone choice feature (mine of course was set to "Eastern". My opinion is that the the adjustment should have been automatic. Something failed or isn't working correctly.Other clocks I have ever seen with this feature, my computer running Windows X/P for example, auto adjusts. I'll post again when I talk to the dealer about this.
Old 11-05-05, 07:09 PM
joegolf68
Rookie

Originally Posted by BMcD430
DD - I noticed the same thing - and I had mine set to observe daylight savings time. I went in and set the daylight savings time to NO and it instantly changed back to the correct time. I too was under the impression the GPS could "recognize" this change. Small inconvenience.

Bruce
Dittos. Wtf it didnt' work! Error, error, error Mr. Lexus!
Old 11-05-05, 08:35 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE
Senior Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Exclamation

I’m going to call the corporate office, and have a word with Toyota himself, this is not acceptable. I mean its enough I have to move the steering wheel, press on the gas (when I’m not using my radar cruise control) And move the shifter every now and then, (I do the rest by voice commands) but for them to ask me to change the clock MANUALLY twice a year is unheard of.
Old 11-06-05, 07:11 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bad assumption.....

Originally Posted by Robert Kon
If the Daylight Saving time feature doesn't do self adjustment then what is it and the "Time Zone" feature for on the NAV screens? The day after Daylight Savings began my LS430 clock was off by an hour although the "Auto Adjust" was set to "on" and the "Daylight Saving Time" was set to "on". The "Adjust Clock" screen also has a Time Zone choice feature (mine of course was set to "Eastern". My opinion is that the the adjustment should have been automatic. Something failed or isn't working correctly.Other clocks I have ever seen with this feature, my computer running Windows X/P for example, auto adjusts. I'll post again when I talk to the dealer about this.
Save yourself some time and aggravation. Your Lexus has nothing to do with your desktop other that your Club Lexus posts You have to merely turn your DST switch on/off when appropriate. There are abnormalities regarding timezones whenever you are located near the edge of one. For this reason some localities will gerrymander the zone so people on one side of the zone can agree on the time with the other side close by. Then you have the Latitude issue where in the North it gets very dark very early. Maybe you could hire someone twice a year to do this unpleasant task for you so you could have more time to read these threads and learn a lot more about your LS Then there's always the owner's manual.......

Rock
Old 11-06-05, 10:00 AM
Robert Kon
Driver School Candidate

Angry Bad Assumption?

What's with this guy ROCK? Geez! It;s only a car! I thought the purpose of this club is to exchange ideas and help each other. Not to hurl implied insults when asking valid questions. If the reply isn't constructive don't bother answering.
It's not a question of manually setting the time as I would be willing to do and DID because the feature didn't work! If Rock doesn't care if it works or not on his car and wants to ignore it that's ok but it's not his car it's MINE and I wrote about MY experience replying to someone with the same apparent problem. I did read the manual, carefully, ROCK, and I say it should adjust automatically. His explanation about some time zones being on the edge is blowing smoke and doesn't wash in this case. I live in NJ not Indiana.
II'm sure Lexus has an answer and they'll stand behind the product but to ignore the problem in a car 4 months old under warranty isn't in my personality as it seems to be in his. If I'm interpreting something incorrectly (the manual) and I get the reason from Lexus I'll let everyone know, including Rock . I'm man enough to say I made a mistake.
Old 11-10-05, 07:33 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sorry at my weak attempt at humour...

I don't mean to offend. Upon rereading my post I concur that it is over the top. The GPS will set the time automatically if you have it on Auto. The Daylight Savings Time has its own switch which needs to be toggled on/off when needed seasonally. The manual time function is there for those that like to have their own setting such as my wife who likes it to be exactly 7 minutes fast ...... Again sorry about any attitude in my reply. There is nothing wrong with your car is what I meant to say.

Rock
Old 11-10-05, 08:01 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default I think I might know..

OK. Try this out.

When you live in areas that support Daylight Savings, the summer months are 1 hour ahead. Not all states recognize this change. Therefore, you can manually, put the clock into daylight savings (DS)mode. We are currently not in DS, therefore states that recognize the DS are using the same hour, hence the "OFF" button.

Yes, there should be an 'auto' button for the car to switch automatically to daylight savings, but if the dates change every year, this is not too easy to program (my simple guess).