Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LS430 or E500

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-05, 03:45 PM
xpeng
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS430 or E500

I have a GX470 and thinking to buy a sedan for my wife. Was thinking the LS, I went to the Taste of Lexus in LA, feel it's not as stable and powerful as MB E500. Anyone has the experience about these 2 cars?

Thanks.
Old 11-08-05, 03:50 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The two cannot be even compared. The interior of the LS is light years better. If you opt for the Ultra with the Air suspension, it will be much stabiler. Or if you dont want to spend that kind of money, you can go for the Euro suspension if handling is on the checklist.

My closest friends have both a 04 E500, and a 05LS430 ultra, and when we go out together, we all end up in the LS for some reason
Old 11-08-05, 04:40 PM
waldis
Driver School Candidate

i agree with that ^ said. in my opinion, the E class is a GS competitor, LS is a S-class competitor.

in that case, my vote goes for the LS. actually, even when compared to a S-class (new and current), my vote still goes for the LS.
Old 11-08-05, 06:07 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

the e500 isway smaller than the ls and i drove both at the taste of lexus. while i liked the ride of the 500 it doesnt even compare to the ls
Old 11-08-05, 09:28 PM
xpeng
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sha4000
the e500 isway smaller than the ls and i drove both at the taste of lexus. while i liked the ride of the 500 it doesnt even compare to the ls
So you think E500 is better or LS430?
Old 11-08-05, 10:14 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

depends on what you are looking for in a car.

a salesperson once said to me :
You feel like a guest if you are in the Lexus. Its a nice car to take your clients out with, because with the super quiet cabin, you can have a good talk.

But you feel more like part of the car in a german machine (bmw or merc in this case). Get the E500 if you want more driving experience.

If you want more power and want to feel the 'push' of the car from acceleration, get the E500.
Also get it for the more sporty handling.

If you want smoothness and day to day 'easy-driving', get the LS430.

I know its been mentioned that the LS is more to the S-class, but in this case, the prices of a well loaded E500 is similar to the LS, so from the price point, it is certainly a competitor.

Goodluck.
Old 11-09-05, 04:16 AM
ychachad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, but the LS is equivalent to the E-class. The S-class is really speaking the chariot of presidents and royalty, who would not be caught dead in either an LS or an E-class. The LS may be marketed as a common man's S-class.

Having said that, the E500 has more power, better handling. The E-class is smart and spartan. The LS is smoother, refined and insanely reliable.
Old 11-09-05, 05:22 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ychachad
Sorry, but the LS is equivalent to the E-class. The S-class is really speaking the *chariot of presidents and royalty*, who would not be caught dead in either an LS or an E-class.
LMMFAO!!! You actually BELIEVE that??? Where did you learn it -- on Entertainment Tonight?

I've owned a hand full of Mercedes Benzes over the past 19 years and and driven a bunch more. I can say without doubt that they are getting more and more common-feeling, and more and more unreliable with each new model. My wife LOVES MBs for some reason, so we drove the current E-500 and the S-500 before buying the LS430. The E reminded me very much of a Kia Amanti that I'd just recently rented for a week while traveling -- nice car, but nothing special, and very much like every other middle-of-the-road car nowadays. The S felt like what I'd expect from a top-of-the-line Oldsmobile (if they still made 'em). I was somewhat surprised to find that my wife reached the same conclusion independently of me, even tough she went into the test drives thrilled that we would be getting another MB if we like 'em.

The part about "chariot fo presidents and royalty" really is funny, though. Good one!
Old 11-09-05, 06:14 AM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

benz have the worst reliability and their interior are the worst. have too many friends that had benz's that turned to jap cars.
Old 11-09-05, 06:15 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry, but the LS is equivalent to the E-class. The S-class is really speaking the chariot of presidents and royalty, who would not be caught dead in either an LS or an E-class. The LS may be marketed as a common man's S-class.

Having said that, the E500 has more power, better handling. The E-class is smart and spartan. The LS is smoother, refined and insanely reliable.

Sorry, but I have to disagree there. The E-class is not equivalent to the LS. I have driven them BACK to back on many occasions; the interior/exterior is very different. I would compare the E-class with the new GS. It’s true that the E-class was redesigned BEFORE the GS, so keep in mind that you cannot cross generations when comparing.

The E class is no way nearly as sophisticated as the LS, in build quality, reliability, or craftsmanship. I think its even an honor for the E-class to be compared to the '06 GS(which btw has tons more to offer). And still beats the E-class in almost every category, especially exterior, and interior styling (has anyone even seen that E-class steering wheel?)

Why does everyone try to compare the newer generation E class with the older generation GS? is beyond me.

I wouldn’t be anything short of delighted to discuss cars bolt by bolt, since I know these cars all too well. Drove the E500 from Tampa to Boston, and the LS on countless road trips.

I also have to mention, while the E500 has a bit more horses, I’ve beaten my friends E500 w/7speed tranny numerous times in my LS, but I have to be fair and mention that he had aftermarket 19 rims.

However, to say someone wouldn’t be caught dead in an LS, or an E-class is purely due to the implication of the LS being LESS of car because its manufactured and built in Japan (which actually draws me to Lexus even more) Somehow a few manage to suggest that it makes it less of a car then a German, and who ever said S-classes are for the higher upper class? You don’t think a guy who has enough money to fork out $75K for a Ultra has money to buy a similar year S500??

I think you have the S-class mistaken for a Bentley, or RR, or even a Maybech. Or, you're (I’m generally speaking) one of those who considers the S and 7 series in a class of their own because of their V12 offering in their S600, and 760Li models. Nevertheless, Lexus will soon close that door of excuses with the new long wheel based LS600h.
Old 11-09-05, 06:32 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Talking Mercedes S class taxi :

Here's your chariots of presidents & royalties :

Old 11-09-05, 07:11 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

i was not that impressed with the e500 once i sat in the ls430. i dont know anyone who would giveup a ls to drive the e500 unles they just wanted to say i have a MB.The e500 handled very well but likeeveryone says its more in the class of the gs not the ls
Old 11-09-05, 08:07 AM
timoc42
Lead Lap

Well, the term of 'Chariots for Presidents and Royalty" is actually true if you believe it or not.

If there is ever some kind of research done on what car does most presidents (of countries and of companies) drive, I think that honor would go for the S-class.

Btw, Grand LS4, may I ask how much is the margin of difference when you beat your friend's E500?
As hard as I can, I can never beat my friend's CLS 500 with the 7-auto ... I would always lose by at least 1 whole car length. I believe both cars have the same engine, same transmission right? And the CLS is even heavier than the E.
Old 11-09-05, 08:12 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by timoc42
Well, the term of 'Chariots for Presidents and Royalty" is actually true if you believe it or not.

If there is ever some kind of research done on what car does most presidents (of countries and of companies) drive, I think that honor would go for the S-class.

Btw, Grand LS4, may I ask how much is the margin of difference when you beat your friend's E500?
As hard as I can, I can never beat my friend's CLS 500 with the 7-auto ... I would always lose by at least 1 whole car length. I believe both cars have the same engine, same transmission right? And the CLS is even heavier than the E.
nah the cls is a different beast, i had an encounter with one and i dont think you could take it without lots of mods.
Old 11-09-05, 10:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ls with the e class? that's not even close man.... sorry but i have to disagree... the ls is bigger, larger, much more luxurious, and more advanced. even if you have to compare it, i mean the ls will win hands down.

if they are really in the same "league", why would you see all the comparisons being done between the gs and e class, and then ls with the s class?

if anything, the ls is just lacking a long wheel base version, which the s class is ONLY available here in the US. other than that the ls430 and s430/500 class ARE in the same league.

remember how the LS400 took down the crown from the s class way back in the 90s and made mb so worried about their business? i didn't recall anything about putting the LS up against any e class

Quick Reply: LS430 or E500