LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

flooded ls430

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-06, 03:39 PM
vcolmar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy flooded ls430

My lexus ls430 2001 has been flooded in Napa last week. In the last 2 weeks, I let the car dry out by:
-taking the spark plugs out
-leaving all windows,doors, engine covers,... opened

This morning I bought a new battery, put 5 gallons of fuel in the tank and tried to start the car again:
-all the electronic (GPS,radio,seats,...) works! (The car even call the Lexus link call center everytime I hook/unhook the battery!)
-when I turn the ignition, the engine turns but does not start. If I spray a "startup engine" can in the air intake,the car starts but stalls after 5 seconds.
-nothing happens when I push on the accelerator...

I took the ECM (engine control module) out and checked: it went below water. I dried it but it did not help!

Can anyone help?
Thanks.
Viny
Old 01-16-06, 03:42 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll probably need an expert diagnosis, however the ECM is likley fried, especially if it was way below water. Sometimes just letting it dry out doesn't help as the damage is already done.
Old 01-16-06, 03:58 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Viny,

Based on some discussions with Lexus Master Techs about flooded cars, I would strongly advise you to work with your insurance company to get your car totalled and buy another.

There are electrical items that will work sporadically or that may take several months for rust and water damage to show up. If the car was badly submerged, run away now.

Welcome to the forum, sorry this has to be your first post. Good luck
Old 01-16-06, 04:28 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 340 Likes on 292 Posts

how did your car get flooded?with all the electronics thats probably a done deal
Old 01-17-06, 02:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Viny,

Based on some discussions with Lexus Master Techs about flooded cars, I would strongly advise you to work with your insurance company to get your car totalled and buy another.

There are electrical items that will work sporadically or that may take several months for rust and water damage to show up. If the car was badly submerged, run away now.

Welcome to the forum, sorry this has to be your first post. Good luck
i totally agree, just get the car totalled and get a new one!
Old 01-17-06, 09:30 AM
IDOUOOOO
Driver School Candidate

if the ECU was under water then ur gona have many problems later....was it fresh water or salt ?? i have restored many flood cars and i can tell you that unless u know where to find used parts (electrical ) you can spend more money fixing it then the car is worth...the LS has computers everywhere and they will start going out one by one on u.
Old 01-18-06, 06:52 AM
vcolmar
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to everyone on your replies!

The car got flooded by the Napa river flooding 2 weeks ago. Fresh water and yes water up to the roof! I could not move it away from the water: the flood went fast (like always) and hit during the night. I live on the other side of a bridge and could not move the car away from the water. All I could do was to move it to the highest point in my garden!
I only had liability on the car thus no insurance will help! It looks like After your feedbacks, I think I will stop working on it and total it.

Thanks.

Viny
Old 01-18-06, 06:57 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 340 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by vcolmar
Thanks to everyone on your replies!

The car got flooded by the Napa river flooding 2 weeks ago. Fresh water and yes water up to the roof! I could not move it away from the water: the flood went fast (like always) and hit during the night. I live on the other side of a bridge and could not move the car away from the water. All I could do was to move it to the highest point in my garden!
I only had liability on the car thus no insurance will help! It looks like After your feedbacks, I think I will stop working on it and total it.

Thanks.

Viny
since you only have liabilty you have no choice but to restore on your own.might as well buy you another less expensive car to get around in until you get it sorted out. i would remove all the seats and panels and let it dry out and then clean everything up.you might as well start looking for inexspensive computers on the net. im sorry for your loss
Old 01-18-06, 09:51 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Wow man I really feel for you. Especially only having liability insurance. I hope something positive comes out of this. Perhaps you mamy find some computers from a salvage yard or online or something. I wish you good luck and I hope you're rolling soon.
Old 01-18-06, 10:25 AM
jmblimo
Pole Position

You probably should have let it sit for a couple of months before trying to do anything electrical, like trying to start it, so it could dry out. The damage is done for sure now. You might look for a wrecked parts car for most everything electrical is going to have to be swapped out. You could also part it out to recover some of your investment. Is it paid for? I assume it is since you didn't have it fully insured, but if not, you've got an even bigger problem.
Old 01-18-06, 12:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jmblimo
You probably should have let it sit for a couple of months before trying to do anything electrical, like trying to start it, so it could dry out. The damage is done for sure now. You might look for a wrecked parts car for most everything electrical is going to have to be swapped out. You could also part it out to recover some of your investment. Is it paid for? I assume it is since you didn't have it fully insured, but if not, you've got an even bigger problem.
waiting for months probably won't help, as things would be more likely rusted

i am sorry to hear your loss, that's a big hit
Old 01-22-06, 12:59 PM
Russ G
Driver

Just wondering...... How much did you save per year by only having the liability insurance?
Old 01-24-06, 07:08 AM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think I would take out every computer I could get my hands on & remove the cover & let them dry in a controlled environment.

I'm not sure this will help but anything has to beat "waiting on rust". Does anyone make a product that he can spray on the circuit boards that could help?

Caig comes first to mind:
http://www.caig.com/

Good luck w this. What a horrific pain in the ***.
Old 02-18-06, 12:50 PM
ra430
Driver School Candidate

If it starts and only runs untill the starting fluid runs out could be a good sign. It sounds like it is not getting any fuel in the system, so with that check the fuse, relay, and fuel pump. There may even be a couple of fuel pumps there as this is common with the newer and more complex fuel injection system. Once you located the fuel pump have someone turn the ignition on and you should hear a buzzing sound (it usually buzz on and turn off and on again as it needs to feed fuel.) Good luck.
Old 03-15-06, 09:49 PM
J R
Driver

how much are you selling it for?? pm me