LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Late Model LS430 Seat discomfort?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-06, 07:13 AM
PHX ATC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear a temp solution (until a new car arrives) has been found.
Old 03-11-06, 11:04 PM
alabaster
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the same experienced with a 2002 LS430. Glad I get rid of it for a 2006 CLS500. That LS seats was the worst seats ever. Since day 1 I had lots of back and waist problems but I said to myself that all I need are just few adjustments in the next couple of days so my back and butt will get used to this new seats. Well, I was wrong. I tried hundreds of combinations of seat adjustments and it just feels so uncomfortable especially the bone between my butt and my entire back.
Months passed by and no improvement. I called Lexus dealership regarding the problem and they said thats the way the seats were designed and made. Since I have no choice, I asked a seat repair shop to remove the leather seat cover and reinstall it. At least now I know how to remove and put it back. I didnt ask the seat repair shop to put any foam since I know it will take several trial and error for me to get the final comfortable setup. Every night I play around my many types of foams, diff thickness, density etc, install, remove, drive, remove, modify, install seats again and so forth. I am very disappointed and asking myself why am I sufferring with all the money I paid on this car.
The culprit on the bottom is that the middle foam that supports the hips is way too soft while the thigh bolsters that extend through the back are very hard. They are of different types of foam. Since the middle support is narrow, the outer hips were rested on the hard foam and the center resting the the soft foam.This creates a bowl effect allowing "just" the middle bones of the hips unsupported.

Now the back support. I found out that theres are many channels inside the foam for seat ventillations. These channels create voids along the back foam support expecially the upper curve between the upper and lower support, which has about half inch wide channel. Throw in the very soft foam into this equation and there goes your back support. The dual lumbar support didnt do any good as they create concentrated pressures on the back, again due to very soft foams and voids. Glad I git rid of this car..

Just my 2 cents.....
Old 02-09-07, 11:57 AM
drdarell
Driver School Candidate

I've got a 2002, I have the same problem and it drives me nuts because I love everything else about the car. However, I did get the seat in a perfect position once. I went on a 4 hour drive and I felt great! Like an idiot I didn't save the setting as soon as I arrived at my destination... My wife got in and it was lost forever. I've been searching for it for the last 2 years, I guess I'll try and add some foam.
Old 02-10-07, 01:58 PM
Kbach
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm the same size and have the same problem with the seat. The GX seats are much better as they're flat and firm. I'm working on losing a few pounds to see if that helps.
Old 03-02-07, 09:32 PM
alextv
Instructor

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

I am glad to see others are having similar problems with the seat as I am. I have the 01 UL LS430 and my right leg and butt bother me also. On trips I put cruise on and move all around on the seat to make it not hurt as much. Last month when my cpo waranty was to expire and I carried it in and complained about the seats and since they were exactly like the other LS 430 nothing would be done. This is my wife's car and she has no problem with the seat but it sure does bother me. The next trip I think I will experiment with some memory foam on top to see if that helps. You would think Lexus would have made a better seat that is comfortable.
Old 03-03-07, 07:24 AM
ultra63
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

That is why a long test drive is so important. Some cars just "fit" you better than others.
Old 03-03-07, 08:03 AM
Kbach
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had to drive 550 miles yesterday to get home since I-80 was closed. Took me 8.5 hours and I only stopped 2 times. Had to squirm around a couple times to find the sweet spot on the seat, but made it with no major discomfort.
Old 03-03-07, 08:10 AM
Nelson
Driver School Candidate

I just purchased a 2004 LS 430 a few weeks ago after driving a 98 LS 400 for the last four years. I noticed immediately that the seat was not as comfortable in the 04. I'm a big guy and perhaps that leads to some of the discomfort, but that was not the case with the 98 LS which was perfect for me.

In my case this is only a slight problem, no pain.

There is no question that I find less pleasure in the 04 LS seat.
Old 03-07-07, 09:44 AM
!SPEED
Driver

Default BigDlexus your not alone!

I have a 04 Ultra and thought it was just my car seat that was uncomfortable. I'm 6' and 184 lbs with not much padding on my butt and man does it get sore! My 99 Vet is 10 times more comfortable.
My solution was to buy a gel seat but since I don't use my car here in the Winter, I haven't had a chance to see how it is on an extended trip.
Old 03-07-07, 12:07 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the seats in my 04 are VERY comfortable. I've driven it 500 miles one way with no problems. And I'm a big dude.
Old 03-07-07, 03:44 PM
!SPEED
Driver

Originally Posted by sparky3
I think the seats in my 04 are VERY comfortable. I've driven it 500 miles one way with no problems. And I'm a big dude.
You can count yourself really lucky then. Maybe you got a little more padding than me.
Old 03-08-07, 09:44 AM
lexusthai
Driver

I weigh 230 lb. I do have the same problem with the driver's seat in the 02 LS430. The back of my leg hurts when I drive over 2 hours.. At first I thought that the seats are badly designed, but it turned out that I poorly adjusted the seat. I tied extending the bottom part of the seat, and it worked... much less discomfort.. I am still trying to figure out the best seating position though...
Old 03-28-07, 01:49 PM
mikerf
Driver School Candidate

So many out there ... I feel like it's a club - do we get to have anonymous meetings?

2001 LS430, 6'0" 200lbs fit, and I too don't like the seat. The two level lumbar sucks, I want one right like right in the middle of the two, the one is too high, the other in my butt...

The bottom seat bugs me, my right thigh gets a pressure point/line on it right where the seam is, it sticks up a bit, whereas the left doesn't seem to do this. It's also a very flat feeling seat, not firm, but not soft either, just kind of ... uncomfortable...

*** It sounds like it might be possible for me to remove the cover and play with it myself - alabaster or someone else who knows how care to explain the steps (pictures would be even better!) please? - much thanks ***

Otherwise I'm left trying to find a removable cushion (they all seem too small, or too thick, or have their own seams or bumps) plus like everyone said - why should you need to on such a car... or else taking it to an auto interior shop and having them do something - I'd much rather do it myself. Though I don't know if any foam would help, if it is really the seam that is bothering me... but I'd like to try.
Old 03-31-07, 12:09 AM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Have those of you having those right leg problems tried removing your wallets from your back pockets? I had a similar problem a while back in a brand new 95 Impala SS; I took my wallet out of my back pocket and the pain was gone.
Old 03-31-07, 12:36 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 352 Likes on 206 Posts

Howdy friends, I'm a skinny fellow, about 130lb and 5'5. I'm relatively young as well, 19.

I drive my LS for about an hour a day (commute to school) and I find it very uncomfortable. I used to have an X5 and when I would switch from that to the LS, the LS was far superior in comfort, but it was only for the first few minutes

I've just resorted to basically sitting very low and having to move my seat very back. I have relatively long legs compared to my body and the steering wheel reach makes me feel like I look foolish. Oh well, as long as it's not making me uncomfortable.

I have a very thin wallet and I usually drive with my phone and wallet in the center cupholder so that's not the issue.

Best solution -- has anyone swapped out the seats and replaced them with Rearco's or Sparcos?

Quick Reply: Late Model LS430 Seat discomfort?