LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Late Model LS430 Seat discomfort?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-07, 06:54 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I think my seats are very comfortable, but I can detect the little bump in the seat that you guys mention in the upper quadracep area of the right leg if I pay close attention. I've noticed that if I retract the seat bottom inwards a couple inches (versus the all-the-way-out position that I'd normally employ), I can't feel it. So, for me, it seems that what needs to be done is to shave that bump down some or somehow soften it in order to get rid of the 'issue' altogether and allow me to keep the seat bottom fully extended yet not be able to feel the bump at all.

That being said, I think my driver's seat is extremely comfortable. I also had an MB with the super-duper multi-contour seating when I first bought the LS, and I thought the LS was more comfortable -- the MB was nice, but a bit too hard for ultimate comfort. I drove the LS on an 1800 mile round trip (stints of about 5 hours straight in the seat) right after I bought it and never felt anything negative in terms of the seating....
Old 03-31-07, 07:07 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would agree with the previous post. I had a Mercedes and the seats were extremely hard and uncomfortable. I find the LS430 seats to be infinitly more comfortable.
Old 03-31-07, 09:16 AM
drdarell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't use a wallett, and nothing in my back pockets, so that's not a problem. I think it's better with the seat bottom almost all the way out, but it's still not great. Still searching for the right position...
Old 03-31-07, 12:08 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vraa
Howdy friends, I'm a skinny fellow, about 130lb and 5'5. I'm relatively young as well, 19.

I drive my LS for about an hour a day (commute to school) and I find it very uncomfortable.
Your LS430? Age 19? Don't you mean your DAD's LS430?

I only say this because when I was 19 I drove MY OWN 1978 Olds Cutlass POS. I hope that when my son turns 19 and he drives on of my cars he doesn't tell people it's HIS car.
Old 03-31-07, 03:30 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 352 Likes on 206 Posts

Oops, sorry, I thought we were grown up enough to get over semantics and mechanics.

I guess for those of us who lease the car, we should refer to it as the banks car then? Anything else that needs to be clarified?

Get over yourself pal. My first car was my dads old LS400 and then I got my moms hand-me-down X5 (which I loved) and now I have my moms hand-me-down LS430. I'm making straight A's and am double majoring in engineering and economics and will probably add english to that as well. I've deserved the right say a plain-jane LS430 is mine
Old 03-31-07, 05:01 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

No, once you work and actually make the payments then you can call it your own. People who make lease payments are doing something you're not - paying payments for the privilege of driving an automobile. I too am finishing a degree with a 3.9 GPA, work full time and have a wife and son. I don't lease my car either. Once you get out in the real world and learn the value of a dollar you'll see how tough it is. "Hand me down" 2005 LS430 indeed.

So let me guess...you're 19, not even in your own apartment yet, and bragging to your friends about "YOUR" LS430. You're a freshman in college and bragging about double majors? Try knocking out those freshman level courses before you get too cocky. Have fun while you're in school - the real world is quite an eye-opener.

Last edited by sparky3; 03-31-07 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-31-07, 10:05 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 352 Likes on 206 Posts

sparky, I apoligize for my prevous post. Upon reflection I look like a serious *******. It was quite rude of me.

BTW, I have worked and I bought the LS400 and X5 from my dad. I pay for the insurance on the LS430 and I have a job. I'm not taking any freshman level courses but I am a freshman as I'm about to wrap up my second semseter ever in college.

No apartment for me yet I'm too valuable at work to live on the otherside of the city.

What are you getting your degree in?

Last edited by vraa; 03-31-07 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-31-07, 10:26 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky3
No, once you work and actually make the payments then you can call it your own. People who make lease payments are doing something you're not - paying payments for the privilege of driving an automobile. I too am finishing a degree with a 3.9 GPA, work full time and have a wife and son. I don't lease my car either. Once you get out in the real world and learn the value of a dollar you'll see how tough it is. "Hand me down" 2005 LS430 indeed.

So let me guess...you're 19, not even in your own apartment yet, and bragging to your friends about "YOUR" LS430. You're a freshman in college and bragging about double majors? Try knocking out those freshman level courses before you get too cocky. Have fun while you're in school - the real world is quite an eye-opener.
What degree?
Old 03-31-07, 10:48 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Information Technology. I'm an Enterprise Admin for a large gov't agency. I have two MCSE's, Novell Netware and Cisco Unified Voice Messaging Certs. I could be finished this fall, but with 6 classes left it's hard while holding down a career and having an 8 month old son (which is the best part of life by far).
Old 03-31-07, 11:14 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vraa
sparky, I apoligize for my prevous post. Upon reflection I look like a serious *******. It was quite rude of me.

BTW, I have worked and I bought the LS400 and X5 from my dad. I pay for the insurance on the LS430 and I have a job. I'm not taking any freshman level courses but I am a freshman as I'm about to wrap up my second semseter ever in college.

No apartment for me yet I'm too valuable at work to live on the otherside of the city.

What are you getting your degree in?

vraa, I was harsh on you too, but you seem to have the magic formula to rub me the wrong way. I clicked on your "cure for cancer" link and found that linking that way (Stating that it's the cure for cancer) extremely offensive. There is no cure, and while I'm all for finding the cure, you having that in your sig just rubs me the wrong way. I helplessly watched my mother over an agonizing 4 year battle with bladder cancer and she passed away in 2003 when I was 29.
While your heart is in the right place with using cpu cycles to try to split cells or whatever that links to, it's in NO way a cure for cancer at this moment and makes light of those of us either going through cancer itself or watching a loved one die from it. I personally would word it "Help out a possible cure for cancer" or "We're doing what we can find an answer" but to simply state "Cure for Cancer" with a link that is all theory at best (no actual results or proof) irks the living ***** out of me.

Plus you get to drive a car everyday that costs about $70k two years ago and only have to pay the insurance for, at age 19. Most adults cannot afford that car. I make double what my father does and I feel embarrassed sometimes driving such a fancy-pants car to his house, and here he's lost his wife of 36 years. There's just a certain unjustified air of entitlement in your posts - we should all be so lucky to have had wealthy parents at age 19.

All I'm saying is this - enjoy this time in your life, and be extremely grateful that your parents were able to provide you with what they have. You'll wake up one day in the near future, at age 25, and wonder why you don't have the 500k house yet. It's tough out there, and there's no guarantee you'll ever achieve the level of success on your own that you enjoy now. Imagine the kid your age that drives a beater car but has the pride and freedom of his own apartment. He might be working a full time job, going to school AND worrying if his car will start on the way to doing volunteer work in his off time.

I am logging off, kissing my son on the forehead and going to bed.
Old 04-01-07, 12:56 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Sparky, I am very sorry to hear about your mother.
But even IF vraa got a hand me down LS430, that does not make him any less of a member (or even no LS at all for that matter).

"MY LS430" doesn’t necessarily mean I paid for it from my pocket, but do you remember what you referred to the house you lived in when talking to your friends? "My house" but you didn’t pay for it, but its still your house, and not X persons house. That’s one thing.

It also may be truly his car, regardless who paid for it, and regardless if its truly his mothers. As far as we are concerned, it’s his. Regardless if its his daily driver or not why should it present a problem to any of us here?

Vraa - Im speaking hypothetically, not doubting you at all.

However, we need to stay on topic. You guys can continue this via PM if you wish, but we're all friends here. Thanks.
Old 04-01-07, 10:18 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

When did I say or even hint that it made him less of a member? Never did that.

We did say "my house" growing up talking about our parent's house, but we always said things like "I took Dad's truck to school" or "Mom's van". At least where I grew up, we all knew the difference between what we could afford and what our parents let us drive.

I'm glad vraa posts on here - sometimes people just need a dose of reality. I feel I gave him one without name calling or making him feel unwelcome.

Now, back to the topic - my 04 LS430 seats are MORE uncomfortable when I fully extend the bottom part of the seat. If I bring it back in somewhat, it's just about perfect.

Shawn
Old 04-01-07, 11:50 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I too find the seat uncomfortable. While they are more comfortable when I first sit, compared to my GS seats. However, on long trips, I feel so much pain in my legs... its unbearable at some points. I still have some pain in my thighs from my last trip to Miami. So now, I stop more often during long trips, I really dont know what else to do.
Old 04-01-07, 12:11 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I dont know what kind of group Lexus was aiming the LS430 towards, but it sure doesn't look like they're aiming for potential buyers.

The LS430 seats feels more comfortable for the first few minutes. Afterwards, they feel just like my GS. Unbalanced support and too soft of padding. Too soft in the long run will hurt your bum. Pushing the seat back further helps with your body's weight distribution so all your weight doesn't get pushed down onto your butt.

But I'm fairly dissappointed at Lexus. You would think a $70k car would deserve better seats.

However, the rear seat is very comfortable .
Old 04-01-07, 01:14 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Do you guys think it's just a lack of padding on the bottom of the seats? I too think my GS 300 seats were much more comfortable for a long trip.

Quick Reply: Late Model LS430 Seat discomfort?