LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

buying 02/03 have suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-06, 10:46 AM
jacsil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying 02/03 have suspension questions

After looking at '03 /'04 MB E320s and some bmw 530s I test drove two LS 430s. They were both 03 model years. One had the ultra lux package and the other had the the comfort luxury package with the regualar suspension. Both cars I drove had the 17" wheels. I know ride is a personal preferance and I am comming form an 850R volvo which has firm even harsh suspension.

I personally liked the ultra lux set on sport better than the lexus with the normal suspension and the regular setting on the ultra lux. The normal suspension was so far from what I'm used to driving that my thinking was perhaps this is not the car for me. I thought the normal suspension was similiar in ride to the e320 while the air suspension set on sport was more along the lines of the bmw. It looks as if there are more ultra lux packages out there than ls430s with sport suspension. I have not found a model with the sport suspension package and I wonder how this might compare?

I am interested in your opinions on this suspension questions. Also I want nav and mark levinsion and it appears they are mostly packaged with the with the customer luxury package and was told the sport suspension wasn't an available with this option. Is this true?

One option might be to get a car with the regular suspension and modify it for a firmer ride any thoughts on this? Your responces are appreciated as my oldest trashed my 850 and I am driving a rental.

Some other thoughts I sat in the backseat of the e320 and found the seatback in the middle position to be extremely uncomfortable. I do like the looks of the car but If I am going to keep it long term reliablity is a big issue. I liked the ride and handling of the bmw and the 2002 model year is pretty reliable at least the 6cyl model. However the back seat, trunk space, and luxury of the ls also i live in the SF bay area and the bmws are all over the place.

Thank you.
Old 03-28-06, 11:58 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a 2003 LS with standard suspension. On the factory Bridgestone 17s, I can't imaging any car riding smoother or quieter. Amazing, IMO. My comparison is M-B E and S, BMW 7, Volvo 850 (not remotely in the same universe), Lexus GS, and other rentals, friends, family cars. That being said, I wanted something a little more sporting looking and feeling. I went with 19" wheels and tires (not too low-profile tires) and the result is something more in the direction of a BMW 7 ride. I have a set of Tein CS coilovers that I'm preparing to install and 'tune' in the next couple weeks or so. I hope it doesn't get any harsher as the current setup is just about right for me FOR THIS VEHICLE in terms of striking a balance between comfort and sport.

I drove the Sport Suspension version and liked it quite a bit, but I knew that I'd be lowering the car a little with the Tein CS kit and would be ditching the stock springs anyway, so I didn't look/wait around for a Sport Suspension car. Sounds like you might like the Sport Suspension better, though.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by jacsil
After looking at '03 /'04 MB E320s and some bmw 530s I test drove two LS 430s. They were both 03 model years. One had the ultra lux package and the other had the the comfort luxury package with the regualar suspension. Both cars I drove had the 17" wheels. I know ride is a personal preferance and I am comming form an 850R volvo which has firm even harsh suspension.

I personally liked the ultra lux set on sport better than the lexus with the normal suspension and the regular setting on the ultra lux. The normal suspension was so far from what I'm used to driving that my thinking was perhaps this is not the car for me. I thought the normal suspension was similiar in ride to the e320 while the air suspension set on sport was more along the lines of the bmw. It looks as if there are more ultra lux packages out there than ls430s with sport suspension. I have not found a model with the sport suspension package and I wonder how this might compare?

I am interested in your opinions on this suspension questions. Also I want nav and mark levinsion and it appears they are mostly packaged with the with the customer luxury package and was told the sport suspension wasn't an available with this option. Is this true?

One option might be to get a car with the regular suspension and modify it for a firmer ride any thoughts on this? Your responces are appreciated as my oldest trashed my 850 and I am driving a rental.

Some other thoughts I sat in the backseat of the e320 and found the seatback in the middle position to be extremely uncomfortable. I do like the looks of the car but If I am going to keep it long term reliablity is a big issue. I liked the ride and handling of the bmw and the 2002 model year is pretty reliable at least the 6cyl model. However the back seat, trunk space, and luxury of the ls also i live in the SF bay area and the bmws are all over the place.

Thank you.

Last edited by I6turbo; 03-28-06 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-28-06, 03:01 PM
BMcD430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jacsil - I went from an 03 E500 to the 04 LS430. Your concerns about long term reliability on the E320 are well-founded. While you can always find someone with one of those that has not had any issues, they are the exception. While the driving dynamics of the E500 were much better than the LS430, eight unscheduled visits to the shop in 23 months was not my idea of luxury. I have the UL package and when set on sport it simulates the E500 pretty well. I had the dealer swap out the std UL wheels for the five spoke 18" wheels off the 05 models that were already on the lot. Not only look better but the Dunlop SP5000's are a decent combo of comfort and grip. There seem to be a lot of 04's out there already - you get the 6 speed, backup camera, and few other styling changes by going up to the 04. Just a thought. I can spend other people's money like a sailor!!

Bruce