SmartAccess and the green "Key" light

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-06, 09:21 PM
psw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SmartAccess and the green "Key" light

Folks,

I've got a 2004 LS430 with the SmartAccess RF key system.

I just got the car back from the body shop after repair of some significant collision damage, and I'm pleased to say that the car looks great and drives just like it did before.

I have noticed something odd, though, and I don't know whether it's normal behavior or if something has changed. There are two lights on the dashboard associated with the security system: a red light that blinks when the car is turned off, and a green light labeled with the word "key". When the car is off, the red light blinks slowly and the green light next to it blinks too (a little more rapidly). This happens regardless of whether or not a key is anywhere near the car. Is this normal?

Everything about the SmartAccess system seems to be working. The car won't start if the key isn't in the car. The side lights come on and the car locks/unlocks correctly when the key is near the car. It won't unlock if the key isn't nearby, and it won't lock if a key is inside the car. The instruction manual is vague about the meaning of the light.

It's quite possible that the indicator lights have always worked like that and I simply never noticed it before. I'm definitely in the mode where I'm scrutinizing absolutely everything I notice about the car to see if it's connected with the damage and subsequent repair. Can anyone else tell me whether what I'm seeing is normal--and if not, what the blinking of the green "key" light means when the car is shut down?

As an aside, I'll say that the LS430 performs stunningly well in a collision. I turned left on a green arrow and got clobbered by a guy who ran the red light in the other direction. The car got hit right at the rear passenger door (photos at http://www.wherry.com/photos/2005-12-29-car/) with enough force to spin the car nearly 180 degrees. Fortunately, nobody involved in the accident was hurt (due to the way the car spun, I wasn't even sort afterward). The side airbags deployed, but there was otherwise no damage whatsoever in the passenger compartment. Even more impressive: I got a look at the car while the repair work was being done. While the side panel was badly damaged, as were many suspension components, the unibody underneath was unscathed. To me, this says a lot about the structural integrity of these cars and their ability to protect their passengers!

Thanks for any info you might be able to provide about the green "key" light!

Phil
Old 03-27-06, 10:37 AM
daddykay24
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

you are ok its normal. Thats the cars way of recognizing the smart key in your pocket.
Old 03-27-06, 10:51 AM
psw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daddykay24
you are ok its normal. Thats the cars way of recognizing the smart key in your pocket.
Actually, this occurs even when the key isn't anywhere near the car.

But after doing some more research, I do think it's normal behavior; it looks like the blinking green light also means that the car is unlocked (this detail comes from a description of the Smart Key system on the Toyota/Lexus service information site). I'll confirm this later today, but I'm pretty sure that explains it.

Phil