LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Air Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-06, 05:17 AM
Steph23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Suspension

I'm looking at buying a '02 430 Ultra and my only concern is the air suspension. Is it really worth all of the hype I'm reading and hearing about? I have yet to drive the vehicle, but I'm more worried about future repair cost on a vehicle that I plan on keeping for 200K. Is this system reliable? Please advise.
Old 04-13-06, 11:29 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

We cant predict the future for you, but so far, so good for the LS430's air suspension setup. But that maybe due how old they've gotten so far. Havent seen an ultra with over 100K yet.

But just as the LS400 held up for 10 years +, im sure the LS430 will do the same, if not more.
Old 04-13-06, 02:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yup i haven't heard of an air suspension going bad due to reliability issue

and personally i don't feel much diffrence between air and the normal springs/shocks. just me though
Old 04-14-06, 02:17 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Thumbs down My thoughts are....

Originally Posted by Steph23
I'm looking at buying a '02 430 Ultra and my only concern is the air suspension. Is it really worth all of the hype I'm reading and hearing about? I have yet to drive the vehicle, but I'm more worried about future repair cost on a vehicle that I plan on keeping for 200K. Is this system reliable? Please advise.
....that the Air Suspension is the MOST WORTHLESS option out there, and it is more likely than not that the system will start showing all kinds of elusive problems AS THE CAR AGES. As Grand_LS4 has mentioned there are not many LS430 Ultras yet that have well over 100K miles on them. Besides, I think, with the Air suspension it 's not just the mileage, but the ACTUAL AGE (how many years old) of the car as well, because of components that use RUBBER, and hydraulic fluid etc. that deteriorate with age, and the possibility of clogs and leaks in the various air lines etc.

Take this advise from someone (me) who has this feature, and very much regrets getting it. I am having tremendous problems with my Air suspension (very harsh ride intermittently), and the dealership simply cannot identify what's going on, as the system is so overly complex, it's beyond their mental capabilites The old front shocks were supposedly leaking according to the dealership (my car has about 60K miles on it). After they replaced them with 2 brand new ones, which cost a whopping $2000 for 2 of them!!! , the ride got totally screwed up....and it could be anything from the new struts being damaged ones to issues with the Suspension computer, solenoids, relays, actuators, air compressor, dryer etc. etc. etc. (You get my point)

.....and, besides, as rominl has pointed out, I don't think there is that much of a difference between the Coil Spring and Air equipped LSs. I am going to try some other suggestions given by a member of this board, and if nothing else works the only solution will be to convert to a coil spring setup (kits are available)

Bottom line, like I've said above, if you want my suggestion, STAY AWAY FROM THE AIR SUSPENSION!!!

Last edited by vicpai; 04-14-06 at 02:23 AM.
Old 04-14-06, 09:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

sorry to hear about that, seems like you are having a lot of problem with the air suspension, vic

maybe you should escalate the problem to lexus corp or at least try another dealership. it's basically not right that you have to pay so much money to get a bad ride
Old 04-14-06, 10:51 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yup i haven't heard of an air suspension going bad due to reliability issue

and personally i don't feel much diffrence between air and the normal springs/shocks. just me though

See, its not really in the ride comfort that you would notice much. If you really want to see the difference between springs, and air, cruise at 65Mph on the highway... its going to be nice and comfy... now FLOOR it, this is where the air suspension shines. It will firm up NICELY, and give you so much more firm control over the car, especially in sport mode.

Not to mention, it adjusts to load, and lowers itself at highway speed.

This is where springs show thier weak side, however, as our friend vicpai mentioned, when the Air suspension shows its ugly side, it really makes an impression.
Old 04-14-06, 11:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
See, its not really in the ride comfort that you would notice much. If you really want to see the difference between springs, and air, cruise at 65Mph on the highway... its going to be nice and comfy... now FLOOR it, this is where the air suspension shines. It will firm up NICELY, and give you so much more firm control over the car, especially in sport mode.

Not to mention, it adjusts to load, and lowers itself at highway speed.

This is where springs show thier weak side, however, as our friend vicpai mentioned, when the Air suspension shows its ugly side, it really makes an impression.
umm, that's true, probably i don't have enough experience yet

though since i lower all my cars with coilover, it's hard to be confident in any stock setups
Old 04-16-06, 02:32 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Arrow rominl, thanks for your concern....

Originally Posted by rominl
sorry to hear about that, seems like you are having a lot of problem with the air suspension, vic

maybe you should escalate the problem to lexus corp or at least try another dealership. it's basically not right that you have to pay so much money to get a bad ride
.....I have actually spoken to another dealership (South Bay Lexus) and luckily the service advisor there happened to own the exact same model (3rd gen LS 400) with Air suspension. He said that it definitely did not feel normal (as a matter of fact I was very lucky that the suspension "acted up" at the right moment). However, I had recently spoken to Lexus corporate and will be taking it back to Longo Lexus one last time for them to look at it again. Otherwise I will have to take to South Bay Lexus and see what they say. Will let you guys know if they do manage to get to the root of the problem!!
Old 04-16-06, 10:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by vicpai
.....I have actually spoken to another dealership (South Bay Lexus) and luckily the service advisor there happened to own the exact same model (3rd gen LS 400) with Air suspension. He said that it definitely did not feel normal (as a matter of fact I was very lucky that the suspension "acted up" at the right moment). However, I had recently spoken to Lexus corporate and will be taking it back to Longo Lexus one last time for them to look at it again. Otherwise I will have to take to South Bay Lexus and see what they say. Will let you guys know if they do manage to get to the root of the problem!!
sure things, best of luck and i hope you get it resolved soon! owning this car should be a pleasure not a nightmare