LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lexus the best American luxury brand ever!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-06, 03:10 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Lexus the best American luxury brand ever!

I was thinking, with Lexus' dominance in the USA's luxury car segment, is it possible that we could be looking at the greatest luxury car company in the history of the USA's market. Im only talking about to make it fair, from the time Lexus came on the scene(1990-present) ,not pre-lexus, that wouldnt be fair to Lexus. I was thinking this because of all the awards the car has recieved and the Japanese attention to trying to make the perfect car. The Japanese perfectionism is special in there culture with the little I know about it from there products. From Sony to Lexus and the improving quality of Hyndai. I see Lexus being a company that takes pride in there winning in the USA and they wont want to give up top ranking once they grab it. This will be interesting to see if Lexus in the next 50 years becomes the greatest ever. No new car company in the last over 50 years has done what Lexus has been able to do in the USA. So the question is GREATEST EVER IN 50 YEARS TIME? Please give your opinion!!!!!!!!!! (GOD IS GOOD!)

Last edited by usermel; 04-26-06 at 11:53 PM. Reason: spelling and words missing.
Old 04-27-06, 01:56 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I would go as far as saying in the entire world.
Old 04-27-06, 01:27 PM
lnguyenh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't hate me (only opinion here ) but I think Lexus is far from being the greatest car in any country yet. Maybe it's just me but when driving it, I just don't "feel" it at all.
Old 04-27-06, 01:32 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I feel it in terms of quality and design, and now the style has improved a lot, all that's left (for some) is more performance in their sporty models.

The New LS is scary amazing, we'll see if it can be the best. It's been nearly 20 years now and Lexus is dominating.
Old 04-27-06, 02:22 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by lnguyenh
Don't hate me (only opinion here ) but I think Lexus is far from being the greatest car in any country yet. Maybe it's just me but when driving it, I just don't "feel" it at all.

I think what the original poster meant was that its now competing with 100+ year old car companies, which in its own, GREAT success for a company now 16 years old. Maybe not the best brand to ever roam the earth, but for the amount of time it has taken it to catch up, and almost arguable beat other brands is very astonishing.

Btw, some people (like my dad) love the LS so much because just that, you CANT feel anything of the road. So it works for the benfit of Lexus at times.
Old 04-27-06, 04:51 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Yes you have it right.

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
I think what the original poster meant was that its now competing with 100+ year old car companies, which in its own, GREAT success for a company now 16 years old. Maybe not the best brand to ever roam the earth, but for the amount of time it has taken it to catch up, and almost arguable beat other brands is very astonishing.

Btw, some people (like my dad) love the LS so much because just that, you CANT feel anything of the road. So it works for the benfit of Lexus at times.
Grand_LS 4 must have been in my brain like the movie "Being John Malkovich". That is why I was saying best ever for Lexus as a strong possiblity. With all the bad things Ive been threw in the past with dealers and a occasional problem here or there with my first five cars (LS430 has giving me the most trouble 6 problems). That is not the norm for Lexus, I am the rare customer with problems here or there. Compared to my 2 Mercedes, the Lexus by far is more reliable. If I broke it down to just luxury, Lexus wins hands down. Luxury is having less car trouble, great features and options and standard features to die for etc.. The big 2 (BMW,Benz) have for years been in the game.If Lexus was human, it would be a 16 year old girl now. Thats when I thought about it. In a more competitve market than when Benz and BMW and Jag came out, Lexus has been able to take some of the market in America from the Mcdonald's like Mercedes (this is a traditional comparison) and Burger King like BMW companies. I call Lexus Wendy's like in comparison. Like Wendy's Lexus did what others didnt, concentrating on the small things the others(Benz,BMW) didnt as much when they became household names. In 50 years,if Lexus keeps the same prices in comparison to were they are now(the gap is closing slowly and undetected by most) being less expensive than BMW,Benz and Jag, they will rule the luxury car segment in the USA. Europe is a whale size german supporting continent, so they could take years before they except a Toyota made car as Luxury. Its not me, its how most Europeans think when it comes to luxury. (GOD IS GOOD.)

Last edited by usermel; 04-27-06 at 04:59 PM. Reason: spelling.
Old 04-27-06, 05:14 PM
LexFather

The Japanese did what was impossible to everyone else. Lexus was laughed it. Even the Volvo CEO of the 80s "laughed" at the idea.

No other luxury car company has done in their first 16+ years what Lexus has done.
Mercedes almost bought BMW at one time, that is how bad the brand was doing.

Do ya'll know what pushed BMW and Benz? it wasn't the GErman market. It was the AMERICAN market, starting in the early 70s.

Just how Lexus focuses on the American market.

Who wants a history lesson?
Old 04-27-06, 05:14 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Like your dad I also.....

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4

Love the fact a Lexus is smooth and dont like the loud engines most people like in cars.Thats another thing Lexus must remember, Lexus buyers are different. We are the type of people who think outside the box unlike most Benz and BMW buyers around the USA. We all can probably get Benzes or BMW's but dont because we dont want what were told is the best. We want what is truly the best in our own opinions. Most Benz,BMW and Jag buyers are trained since being kids to get those cars so when they acheive success they get those cars as validation. Take me for instance, I grew up lower middle class and always wanted a Honda Accord because that was the car we aimed for in our neighborhood. So I got rich as a young adult(23) and drove right by BMW,Jag and Benz dealerships and got a Honda. By chance my friends little brother got a GS300 and I liked it. My friend's Bentley broke down in a rainstorm in Virginia Beach. It was a 1998 GS300(friends little brother) that had to pick us up(till this day wow!) and I couldnt belive how plush it was. That got me to the Lexus dealer because before then I didnt know were it was. The rest is history. This is how I got to Lexus, a Bentley broke down and I got picked up by a 1998 GS300(Wow!) Tell me I wasnt meant to be a member of clublexus!!!! (GOD IS GOOD)

Last edited by usermel; 04-27-06 at 07:44 PM. Reason: spelling.
Old 04-27-06, 05:18 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile That quote is crazy!!!

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Japanese did what was impossible to everyone else. Lexus was laughed it. Even the Volvo CEO of the 80s "laughed" at the idea.

No other luxury car company has done in their first 16+ years what Lexus has done.
Mercedes almost bought BMW at one time, that is how bad the brand was doing.

Do ya'll know what pushed BMW and Benz? it wasn't the GErman market. It was the AMERICAN market, starting in the early 70s.

Just how Lexus focuses on the American market.

Who wants a history lesson?
That quote dude is amazing!!!!!!!!! (GOD IS GOOD)
Old 04-27-06, 05:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by usermel
Love the fact a Lexus is smooth and dont like the loud engines most people like in cars.Thats another thing Lexus must remember, Lexus buyers are different. We are the type of people who think outside the box unlike most Benz and BMW buyers around the USA. We all can probably get Benzes or BMW's but dont because we dont want what were told is the best. We want what is truly the best in our own opinions. Most Benz,BMW and Jag buyers are trained since being kids to get those cars so when they acheive success they get those cars asvalidation. Take me for instance, I grew up lower middle class and always wanted a Honda Accord because that was the car we aimed for in our neighborhood. So I got rich and went by BMW,Jag and Benz and got a Honda. By chance my friends little brother got a GS300 and I liked it, when by chance my friends older brothers Bentley broke down in a rainstorm in Virginia Beach. It was a 1998 GS300(friends little brother) that had to pick us up(till this day wow!) and I couldnt belive how plush it was. That got me to the Lexus dealer because before then I didnt know were it was. The rest is history. This is how I got to Lexus, a Bentley broke down and I got picked up by a 1998 GS300(Wow!) Tell me I wasnt meant to be a member of clublexus!!!! (GOD IS GOOD)
Lexus did totally change luxury pereceptions. Before Lexus, your luxury car was EXPECTED to break down. THen you went to the dealer and they treated you like they were doing you a favor.

Lexus changed the whole experience of buying a luxury car
Old 04-27-06, 07:58 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile True SickLex!

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus did totally change luxury pereceptions. Before Lexus, your luxury car was EXPECTED to break down. THen you went to the dealer and they treated you like they were doing you a favor.

Lexus changed the whole experience of buying a luxury car
I tried to tell another of my Benz for life friends this, but he insisted that he get a Benz because when he was younger that was the car everybody wanted,so now that he has paper he wants that car. I dont knock it all all because I had a Benz, 2 as a matter of fact, but the cars were just to break prone. Also whatwas weird about my 2 Benzes I had was, they only had electical problems, nothing mechanical. My friend had so suspension problems among other things. He is still sure the 3 point star is the tops. I cant call it, I know the old Mercedes Benz cars are rolling over in there graves though with all the recent problems and the Lebron James of cars (Lexus) with nothing but upside. The only thing that can stop Lexus now is greed, jus tlike Benz and BMW's problems know. They want our money , but dont put in the work it takes for a reliable car that is worth $86,000. You would think when you spend $86,000 for a Benz or Jag it wont break down more than a Hyndai, Go figure. (GOD IS GOOD!
Old 04-28-06, 05:24 AM
lnguyenh
Pole Position

I don't think it's fair to say BMW and Benz are old and Lexus is 16 year old girl. Though Lexus is 16, it came from Toyota and toyota has been there for a while too.

Just the one time Bentley broke down (got picked up by Lexus) and you are saying Lexus is better?

I think you guys are a bit too extreme here. So are people at Benz forums! I hate it when they call "Jap" cars there.

I've had numbers of problems at Benz dealers but it's not perfect at Lexus' either. About a month or so ago, I called the Lexus dealer (local) to ask if a specific part of my Lexus were still under factory waranty and the guy who answered the phone said "if you didn't buy your Lexus from our dealer, why would you call us?"

Currently driving both cars, and HONESTLY comparing them (my opinion) Lexus is about 70% compare to Benz (at the same class/level).

I like Lexus. I am just not too crazy about it.
Old 04-28-06, 09:11 AM
dewalt
Driver School Candidate

I've had numbers of problems at Benz dealers but it's not perfect at Lexus' either. About a month or so ago, I called the Lexus dealer (local) to ask if a specific part of my Lexus were still under factory waranty and the guy who answered the phone said "if you didn't buy your Lexus from our dealer, why would you call us?"

I

I think that part of it depends on where the dealership is located. I got mine from a Lex dealership where it doesnt look like the median income is past 50K, in the immediate area at least. They tend to care less.

Also, management is partially to blame for such behavior. A lof the dealers in affluent areas dont tolerate that. I refuse to buy anything from a dealer who treats me like a no one.

Then again, you buy it from the dirty south (I partially live in birmingham), and they treat you like a king. Gotta love that southern hospitality!
Old 04-28-06, 11:46 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile I Feel you Inguyenh!

I don't think it's fair to say BMW and Benz are old and Lexus is 16 year old girl. Though Lexus is 16, it came from Toyota and toyota has been there for a while too.

Just the one time Bentley broke down (got picked up by Lexus) and you are saying Lexus is better?

I think you guys are a bit too extreme here. So are people at Benz forums! I hate it when they call "Jap" cars there.

Currently driving both cars, and HONESTLY comparing them (my opinion) Lexus is about 70% compare to Benz (at the same class/level).

I like Lexus. I am just not too crazy about it.
Thank you for going against the grain bro, everytime I do people attack me for not being pro Lexus on any topic no matter if Lexus is wrong or right. You have my support in that regard Inguyenh, I had the same thing happen to me in Va Beach, Va, about 5 years ago when the first LS came out. It was actually 2000 in September at a invite only car preview. They told me that if I didnt buy my car from there dealership (Charles Barker Lexus) that they wouldnt feel comfortable doing my service. All this after being loyal to there dealership and not buying from another dealer, I decided after advice from an older friend of mine to shop around. After 4 cars already purchased from that dealer (Charles Barker Lexus) the General Manager makes that threat to me. So I'm with you, Im not talking perfection here because I in my earlier post said how my experiences werent perfect for me with Lexus. And Im also one of the few on this site to mention how most Lexus buyers are blinded by Lexus and unwilling to be critcal of Lexus when they slip up. So from me to you Inguyenh, you have my support going against the grain because I think being a business man myself. The only way to keep a company honest is to be critical when they do wrong, just as much as you praise them when they do right. Also others should take note of how I respect an opposite opinion of my post and did not attack a fellow member for disagreeing with me. He is our club member and likes Lexus enough to be a member so I and all of us should respect him, object if we want, but not attack people for disagreeing! (GOD IS GOOD)
Old 05-01-06, 03:08 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Well, you have to be fair here. The Benz crowd always criticize Lexus for not being around long enough to know what Luxury is, or call it brand without a heritage. Moreover, not many Mercedes owners will give Toyota's years of engineering experience to Lexus' credit. So Its either one way or another, either no heritage, or lots of experience, and great track record of the Toyota family be given, cant pick and choose.

Quick Reply: Lexus the best American luxury brand ever!