LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 with Tein CS and 19" Volks

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-06, 07:23 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default LS430 with Tein CS and 19" Volks

It's a different look, but just what I wanted since I tried to to take a different path from the usual VIP look. I'm thinking of adding a couple of turbos in the future and seeing if I can take the car into a bit more sporting direction while still maintaining most of the ride quality. As it sits, the car handles pretty decently (still rolls a good bit in hard cornering, but some bars would take care of that), steering feel is significantly better, and very little of the ride quality has been sacraficed. The 19" wheels and tires are lighter than the 17" stockers, BTW.
Attached Thumbnails LS430 with Tein CS and 19" Volks-ls430_0194_small-file.jpg  

Last edited by I6turbo; 05-17-06 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-17-06, 07:25 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Another view
Attached Thumbnails LS430 with Tein CS and 19" Volks-ls430_0183_small-file.jpg  
Old 05-17-06, 07:39 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

About the max tire height and minimum wheel offset that will fit without rubbing. I removed the black trim rings from the wheel openings and made a minor change to the way the lower wheel opening fairing on the rear was attached, but otherwise no rolling or grinding of the lips. If I have 2 people in the rear and go over a big dip there is ever so slight amount of rubbing, but I could get rid of that in a few minutes if I wanted to.
Attached Thumbnails LS430 with Tein CS and 19" Volks-img_0214_small-file.jpg  
Old 05-17-06, 07:42 AM
jdmdaddy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doesn't always have to be VIP!

Looks nice. I think that those wheels are a little sporty for the LS but that's just my stupid opinion
I think you should drop it a little more in the front! Keep up the good work, and I would definately love to see some turbos on this thang

-craig
Old 05-17-06, 08:13 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gatewaycraig
Looks nice. I think that those wheels are a little sporty for the LS but that's just my stupid opinion
I think you should drop it a little more in the front! Keep up the good work, and I would definately love to see some turbos on this thang

-craig
LOL I knew I was pushing it a little bit on the wheels, but I refused to have anything chrome or chrome-looking. At least I resisted going with the Bronze TE37s that I really wanted. I admire the Volks for their light weight and quality and the way the car feels uncompromised with 19s as a result of the light weight and proper offset. So when I see 'em, I guess that appreciation clouds my thinking.... Frankly, I think they look more fitting in person somehow than in photos. I've had a number of comments from people at local gatherings (though these are gatherings of performance car people where I usually take my 900HP Supra, so they may be more inclined to think screwy than others ) But, all that's beside the point -- I chose the wheels because I like 'em and I thought they offered the least likelihood of being a "downgrade" in terms of ride and performance.

Regarding the front ride height, I originally had it about 3/8" lower, but it looked too low in person. It doesn't really sit as high as it looks in these photos -- it was a function of where the car was sitting at the time -- the first photo the right rear is in a slight low spot close to the storm drain, and in the other two photos it's sitting on a steeply sloped driveway -- consequently the driver's front was sitting a little higher than normal in both places.

I am debating whether to do the further mods (turbos, etc.) to this car, or buy a 2005 with the updated headlights and 6-speed tranny (and get a black or silver one). I originally bought this light-colored one because I expected to use it as a daily driver here in hot Florida. However, I think the black or silver color would be more fitting for mods that tend to take the car in the performance direction vs. luxury/VIP direction. And, I need to find out if either tranny (my 5-speed or the newer 6-speed) can withstand 450-500 lb. ft. of torque, or if they can be built to withstand it. That's my main worry -- that I'll turn the power up to 450-ish whp and the tranny won't tolerate it.

The LS is an awesome platform though, and I think it'd make a good BMW M-fighter with a little further suspension work and about 500 whp.
Old 05-17-06, 08:54 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Now I've seen everything.

What are we doing to the Lexus Flagship sedan here folks?

You could've at least paid a bit more for some nice works.

If you wanted volks so badly, autotrader has a bunch of 240's for sale, they match up perfectly.
Old 05-17-06, 09:01 AM
jdmdaddy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Xotic sC

If you wanted volks so badly, autotrader has a bunch of 240's for sale, they match up perfectly.
Not to sound like an as$, but aren't people entitled to their own flava and style, as well, you are entitled to your own opinion. whatevahs.

-craig
Old 05-17-06, 09:52 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Dang! I should have asked for your blessing before modifying my car. I was so hoping that you of all people wouldn't disapprove.

Old 05-17-06, 11:17 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

glad we're at an understanding here.

Well it is your car, that was just my opinion...
Old 05-17-06, 01:58 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

glad we're at an understanding here.

Well it is your car, that was just my opinion...
LOL I'm stongly opinionated on wheels too, so I'll just have to take it as a dose of my own medicine. I do think you REALLY wouldn't have liked the Bronze TE37s that I tried to talk myself into, though. I decided those were too risky even though a couple of my trusted Supra friends tried to get me to go that route. I guess the TE37s would have demanded a barn-door wing to go along with 'em.
Old 05-17-06, 03:34 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Nice mods
The wheels are nice, it's just how the whole setup doesn't really flow with the car.
Maybe with thinner tires & another inch or two-inch drop (since u have the TEIN CS,) the car will look totally different.....plus the turbo
Old 05-18-06, 05:49 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

After 35 years of modifying and racing cars, trucks, and bikes I guess I've come to see wheels and tires and other mods differently than some. When I see a car slammed on thin sidewall tires I know that the car rides like crap (compared to what it originally did) and and due to other mods necessary to slam it, probably doesn't handle very well either (contrary to popular uninformed belief). And it's a safe assumption that the thin sidewall tires are pretty noisy. Overall, a bunch of downgrades in order to achieve a look. Same as when I see 2 or 3-inch oversize, much-heavier-than-stock chrome or 3-piece wheels -- I only see performance downgrades in the name of following an appearance fad. They might as well be 4 chrome boat anchors to my eyes because I know that the acceleration performance is significantly deterioriated, steering feel is probably deterioriated, ride quality is deterioriated, road noise is probably increased, and handling is deterioriated. All in the name of looking cool to those willing to sacrafice a little bit of everything for that look.

But, that's why they make so many different mods for cars -- because everyone has a different opinion and background to cause them to do what they do to their car.

Originally Posted by ATSOU
Nice mods
The wheels are nice, it's just how the whole setup doesn't really flow with the car.
Maybe with thinner tires & another inch or two-inch drop (since u have the TEIN CS,) the car will look totally different.....plus the turbo
Old 05-18-06, 06:11 AM
timoc42
Lead Lap

the drop of the car is nice, but I think the side wall of the tires are just a little too much. Are they 35-45? They look 55 in the pictures to me.
Maybe you need to get a different brand of tires, to make it look a little less agressive or just reduce it a little.

And as you said it yourself, you need to update yourself to the 2005 model... which I happen to have one, and its for sale ... . check it out in the classifieds.
Old 05-18-06, 06:31 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by timoc42
the drop of the car is nice, but I think the side wall of the tires are just a little too much. Are they 35-45? They look 55 in the pictures to me.
Maybe you need to get a different brand of tires, to make it look a little less agressive or just reduce it a little.

And as you said it yourself, you need to update yourself to the 2005 model... which I happen to have one, and its for sale ... . check it out in the classifieds.
245/45 fronts, 275/40 rears. They seem to look taller in the photos than in person somehow. But I definitely agree -- they are as tall as could possibly be tolerated, which I did for ride quality purposes, and so that I wouldn't have to drop it too much to close the fender gap (trying to preserve alignment and handling).

What are you getting to replace the 2005?
Old 05-18-06, 06:42 AM
timoc42
Lead Lap

I am going back to Indonesia for summer .... so, I need to sell it.

As for a replacement ... I dont know yet. Car prices back home is crazy ... a LS430 there will cost me about $150k to import in.

Btw, this is the link to the classifieds.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216625

Quick Reply: LS430 with Tein CS and 19" Volks