LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Why would anyone buy a new 2006 LS right now?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-06, 09:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
With all do respect, you are kidding yourself if you think that the 06 and 07 ES have the same materials and an 06 will hold its value as good as an 07. If history is any indication the 06 will not and I don't know if you've seen the details of the 07 online and the car in person but it is lightyears ahead of the 06's. The features, design, quality have all been improved with mininal increase in cost. Lexus's profit margins must be much lower on the 07s because the base model ES has tons more standard features than the outgoing model for a trivial increase in base sticker price. Why? Because the market is becoming more competitive and expects more technology for almost the same price.
With that said, congratulations on your purchase. For you that was probably the right decision since you do not care about the latest bodystyle but I personally talked to Lexus dealers and since the ES is such an abundant model, $500 over invoice by year's end will not be unheard of for the 07 ES.
agree..... it's just like those who paid their money for the 05 gs300/430. they are crying now on their resale value, which is completely crushed by the 06 gs. that's always the case, that's why it's tough to get last yr model before re-design
Old 05-24-06, 10:44 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is a little off topic but still addressing older model years. Theres an Atlanta dealer whos been advertising brand new 05 G35 coupes for 31,500 down from a roughly $38,500 sticker. I could not believe this so called most beautiful car on the road is having trouble moving 05 models. This dealer has been advertising this for months now. I dont know what the deal is but I read Infiniti is in trouble. Q45 is obviously dead. QX has the worst reliability of any car on the road. G35 sales are down due to newly revamped competition. FX sales have fallen off a cliff. M seems to be carrying the brand right now, when that runs out of steam it will be up to the new G to carry it. There was a new dealer in the midwest or west that closed its doors becaus eit only sold something liek 20 cars one month.
Rominl I completely agree with the GS comment. I thought to myself who is going to buy all these 05s I was lookign at on the lot, but during the fire sale they had on them, they surprisingly didnt have too much trouble getting people to take them all excited about the unheard of notion of getting a new Lexus for invoice.
Old 05-24-06, 11:13 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile I agree!

Originally Posted by gstaples
I think the biggest reason to buy an 06 is that Lexus has had time to work most of the bugs out and Lexus has its share of bugs. Also, the longer you keep a car depreciation becomes less of a factor.

I agree, if you keep the car it really doesnt matter either. The only thing that matters with a new car in my opinion is your happy with it. I have a 2001 and can get the 2007 and will not. I love the new body, some dont. I will wait at least 2-3 years before trading up because there will be some bugs. All cars tend to have them. Maybe Ill wait for an 2009 to become a used model and pick one of those up.

Cars are not investments, well some can be but, for me they are just transportation devices that get us from point A to, point B. To each his own but, I think buying a 2006 model is a great business choice. If this guy payed $53,000 that is a steal. Imagine how much they might go for in 2 months if any are still around with Nav/Mark or just with Nav or better yet Ultra Luxury.

And a used LS will become a better bargin. I will lose some value in my 2001 but, Im not phased at all. They will continue to change the body styles every 6-7 years so this will always happen with the competition of all the car companies!

GOD IS GOOD!
Old 05-24-06, 11:21 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile I see.......

Thats a huge jump from 00 to 01. Goes to further my point that its worth waiting for the new when buying new older body styles on the verge of becoming outdated. One good thing though is what you mentioned, these vehicles are looking alot alike, the angle of the lights from the side look like the Sonata on the new LS. The 3rd gen was designed to mimick the S-Class at the time. From the overlay posted elsewhere on this site, the new LS has been designed very close to the 7-series layout.

...this point of view more clear and understand why people feel that waiting is better! If you buy the 2006 you have to keep it for at least 5 years. If you buy the 2007 you dont have to worry as much about the price falling. GOOD POINTS ABOUT 2007 LS!

GOD IS GOOD
Old 05-24-06, 08:15 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

If I bought the '06 now, I'd be buying it because the option package I want is available without the wait or extended search. On a base Otherwise, my feeling is that if I were going to buy the flagship, I would wait for the '07. ) When the '07 is available, come Nov-Dec, I'd think the sales guys would be pretty motivated to move the UCF 31's out. That would be a good time to buy...some don't have that wait option.
Old 05-24-06, 08:31 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah I found it a bit hilarious that his vehicle doesnt have Bluetooth. I was like "whattt" in disbelief. I mean my $35K 05 TL was a ****box but it had bluetooth standard. G35's, and even lower priced models have bluetooth. For his LS to be so base that it didnt have it made me think so what did his 53K buy anyway?
Old 05-24-06, 11:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Yeah I found it a bit hilarious that his vehicle doesnt have Bluetooth. I was like "whattt" in disbelief. I mean my $35K 05 TL was a ****box but it had bluetooth standard. G35's, and even lower priced models have bluetooth. For his LS to be so base that it didnt have it made me think so what did his 53K buy anyway?
dunno, it does sound very expensive to me from teh beginning, considernig that you can pretty much get a UL for 63k, just 10k more
Old 06-01-06, 07:52 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '01. My next project.. if i dont get a bimmer 5 or 7.. is an 04 LS AFTER the release of the new body style.. I like the body style of the 04+ LS. I like my 01 also.. I probably will not be getting a 460 till they come down in price.
Old 06-01-06, 08:29 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm thinking of doing the same thing (getting the '04+ LS). I'm considering selling my '03 just before the 460 comes out, then buying an '05 a few months after the 460 arrives....
Originally Posted by babyGS3
I have an '01. My next project.. if i dont get a bimmer 5 or 7.. is an 04 LS AFTER the release of the new body style.. I like the body style of the 04+ LS. I like my 01 also.. I probably will not be getting a 460 till they come down in price.
Old 06-02-06, 11:28 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
agree..... it's just like those who paid their money for the 05 gs300/430. they are crying now on their resale value, which is completely crushed by the 06 gs. that's always the case, that's why it's tough to get last yr model before re-design
Don't agree, can't compare a GS to the LS. The LS is universally hailed as a top pick or best in class, against the likes of the BMW 7 series or MB S class. It's been CR top pick for years. The '06 LS will not suffer the same fate as the 05 GS. That said, I'm looking to trade my '99 LS for a '06 Lux pkg for the 'right' price. If I can get invoice for the '06 and KBB 'good' trade in value on the '99, I'll test the theory that the '06 will still hold it's value over time . . .
Old 06-02-06, 11:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by socalJD
Don't agree, can't compare a GS to the LS. The LS is universally hailed as a top pick or best in class, against the likes of the BMW 7 series or MB S class. It's been CR top pick for years. The '06 LS will not suffer the same fate as the 05 GS. That said, I'm looking to trade my '99 LS for a '06 Lux pkg for the 'right' price. If I can get invoice for the '06 and KBB 'good' trade in value on the '99, I'll test the theory that the '06 will still hold it's value over time . . .
well the way i see it, yes the LS is top of the line lexus and such, but i don't see it anything that special like nsx or so, where it will really keep values. it could be the highest priced valud lexus out there, but you still see tons of them around too (say in cali). we will see how its prices go on as time goes by i guess
Old 08-10-06, 07:57 AM
inthemix
Driver School Candidate

I just purchased a 2006 LS430 modern luxury and smart key option in Flint Mica.

List price was $63.4k. I paid $3k under invoice and received a very good trade-in price for my 2001 RX300. This allows the dealer to increase their allocation on the 2007 models and provided me with an excellent deal on a vehicle that I have always wanted.

My purchase decision was based on:
- I have always wanted a LS430. They had the features and color that I wanted in stock
- Great discount and trade-in offered
- Although I like the look of the 2007 model, I did not want to get on the waiting list and pay list price.
- I do not like buying 1st-year models
- I keep my cars on average 5 - 6 years. I will most likely keep this vehicle for 10 years.

What is interesting is that I went to the dealership to show my wife the new service area and to pick up touch-up paint for my RX-300.
Old 08-10-06, 08:34 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by inthemix
I just purchased a 2006 LS430 modern luxury and smart key option in Flint Mica.
What is interesting is that I went to the dealership to show my wife the new service area and to pick up touch-up paint for my RX-300.
Can you say, "IMPULSE" ?

But I must admit, if I got a deal similar to yours, I might become a little impulsive myself !

Congrats!
Old 08-10-06, 09:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

3k under invoice is a great price, can't really go wrong with that! congrats again!
Old 08-10-06, 10:01 AM
inthemix
Driver School Candidate

I am really proud and pleased with this deal. It was an impulse buy, which is something I just do not do. But I had my laptop with me and was able to research the price of my trade in and the invoice price of the vehicle I was going to purchase. The dealership had also been advertising $10K off of list on select 2006 LS vehicles so I knew that I would not accept anything less that a $10K discount and a fair trade in price.

I do need to clarify one thing. The $3K under invoice (actually $2.7K) was negotiated, not offered. The $10K discount was offered on a vehicle without options. I simply determined the percentage off list for this vehicle and stood firm that I wanted the same percentage off of the loaded vehicle that I selected. After I reached an agreement on the percentage discount, I then started working on a fair trade-in price.

Their original offer was a $2.5K discount off of list and $3K less for my trade-in that what I actually received. Dealer felt that the loaded vehicle would be easier to sell so they did not want to offer the same discount percentage. I simply ignored that logic and stood firm.

Glad that I knew the value of my trade-in and that the dealer was very motivated to get rid of the 2006 LS inventory.

Uninformed consumers can really be taken advantage of if they only concentrate on a dollar discount and a sales pitch instead of market trend and true value.

Quick Reply: Why would anyone buy a new 2006 LS right now?