LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

oem integrated NAVI system not so good

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06, 11:30 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oem integrated NAVI system not so good

my dad just picked up a 01 LS430 and the car is just sweet.

super solid ride thru and thru.

however this is a first time in a navi equipped car and I must say I'd rather opt to NOT have the navi system and instead have a aftermarket NAVI system.

I don't like how the audio controls and climate controls are integrated into the NAVI screen, I don't like it at all. Scrolling thru the different menu's on the screen just makes it redudent.

my future plans for a LS400 - LS430 will now definitely be WITHOUT a NAVI system. I'd rather have a aftermarket NAVI system instead.

anyone else feel the same way ?
Old 08-02-06, 11:40 AM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikemareen
my dad just picked up a 01 LS430 and the car is just sweet.

super solid ride thru and thru.

however this is a first time in a navi equipped car and I must say I'd rather opt to NOT have the navi system and instead have a aftermarket NAVI system.

I don't like how the audio controls and climate controls are integrated into the NAVI screen, I don't like it at all. Scrolling thru the different menu's on the screen just makes it redudent.

my future plans for a LS400 - LS430 will now definitely be WITHOUT a NAVI system. I'd rather have a aftermarket NAVI system instead.

anyone else feel the same way ?
I don't mind the NAVI at all...By the way, to be able to ByPass the OEM system, a LOT of work will need to be done PLUS the aesthetics will be runied up front..just a thought!

Mike
Old 08-02-06, 12:40 PM
lexusthai
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garmin C330

You don't like it? Really?

I don't know about the '01 LS430's system, but in my '02 LS430, the navigation is way more advance and accurate than the Garmin C330 navigator that I thought was great. The signal on the OEM nav system is simply excellent, thru tunnels, under raised rail tracks (Queens, NY), cloudy days, rainy days, NO PROBLEM, there's always a signal. In these mentioned conditions, C330 would have no, or almost no signals, ruining the trip.. especially when commuting thru the streets of New York surrounded by very tall buildings.

And the navigation itself is great, I can always count on getting to places I've never been before.

Maybe other aftermarket navi systems are better, I've tried only the C330, and I'd say that the Lexus Nav wins, hands down.

My only wish is that I wish I could watch DVDs on the same screen.

I didn't like it during the first few days of ownership, now I love it. I can actually talk to it.

But then again I've only owned the car for 2.5 weeks.. we'll see what happens..
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-06, 12:45 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you can:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=227692
Old 08-02-06, 01:52 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexusthai
You don't like it? Really?

I don't know about the '01 LS430's system, but in my '02 LS430, the navigation is way more advance and accurate than the Garmin C330 navigator that I thought was great. The signal on the OEM nav system is simply excellent, thru tunnels, under raised rail tracks (Queens, NY), cloudy days, rainy days, NO PROBLEM, there's always a signal. In these mentioned conditions, C330 would have no, or almost no signals, ruining the trip.. especially when commuting thru the streets of New York surrounded by very tall buildings.

And the navigation itself is great, I can always count on getting to places I've never been before.

Maybe other aftermarket navi systems are better, I've tried only the C330, and I'd say that the Lexus Nav wins, hands down.

I didn't like it during the first few days of ownership, now I love it. I can actually talk to it.

But then again I've only owned the car for 2.5 weeks.. we'll see what happens..
It's NOT the NAVIGATION functions that I don't like.

I don't like how the audio-climate controls are all integrated into the navigation screen.

the screen should only be for navigation use, audio and climate controls should be completely seperated via tradional ***** and buttons.
Old 08-03-06, 10:26 AM
Shinjiro
Driver School Candidate

I can see why that would be a bit o a nuisance though It really hasn't bothered me at all.
Old 08-03-06, 11:42 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Well if you go aftermarket, you only get a 1 yr mfr warranty - the OEM is good for 4yrs/50k and you can get an extended warranty. Also, OEM is voice activated, don't know of any aftermarket with this. I'd go with Lexus OEM every time - the only better OEM is Acura . . .
Old 08-04-06, 03:36 PM
bigDlexus
Driver

Wihtout the navi buttons for audio and climate, the console looks dull and cluttered.

Once you learn how to take advantage of the Auto climate control, you won't even need that screen. Just hit the "Auto" button to the left of the screen.

Then the audio buttons can pretty much all be done from the audio portion of the console (with the added navi benefit of seeing my station numbers on the program numbers), scan through programmed channels, volume, source, etc.. So once again you don't need that screen.

So you use it for Navigation, which you said you like, so what's the problem? Don't like the 4k up-tick on the sticker?
Old 08-14-06, 12:28 PM
bkw
Driver School Candidate

I'm quite displeased with the navigation system in our 06 LS430. We were expecting something much more robust and intuitive, and perhaps even better than that of my wife's 05 RL, but I was sadly mistaken. Case in point - searching for destinations w/o addresses. When using the voice commands to locate a POI, the Lexus navigation just displays icons on the screen. In the RL, it'll list out destinations and allow you to choose from a number of available options. Second annoying trait of the navigation system - Like the navi in our 01 Landcruiser (and all other toyota navi's), changes cannot be made on the fly. I hated it when it did that in the Landcruiser, and I really hate it in our LS.

I've done some research and have discovered that the LS comes with what they call the Gen IV system. The IS has the improved Gen V, and so shall the 07 LS.

Thank goodness we got a spectacular deal on a short term lease on the 06 to tide us over until the next generation arrives!
Old 08-14-06, 01:30 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

There's a Navi 'hack' that you can perform to allow you to make changes to the Navi while moving. It's not a permanent hack, as you will need to do it everytime you start the ignition (shutting off the ignition resets to default factory mode). Do a search on Navi hack and you can follow the directions. I agree that the Acura Navi is more intuitive and user-friendly, but the Lexus is the next best OEM system available, but I wouldn't buy an Acura just to get the Navi and have to settle on the rest of the car or the ownership experience . . .
Old 08-14-06, 10:43 PM
350g
Driver

I'm in the same boat . . . I've always done some sort of aftermarket upgrade on all my vehicles and this one (01) has been the biggest pain in the @ss. Integrating all the controls not only dissuades an aftermarket stereo, but also handcuffs you to the monitor.

Currently, I am opting for an aftermarket system to replace the ML (it's quite nice though). If all goes well, I will have a custom double din (w/ monitor) below the cluster of headache. Unfortunately, the stock radio cosmetics will still be present . . .

G
Old 01-21-07, 11:32 AM
vhousad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bkw
I'm quite displeased with the navigation system in our 06 LS430. We were expecting something much more robust and intuitive, and perhaps even better than that of my wife's 05 RL, but I was sadly mistaken. Case in point - searching for destinations w/o addresses. When using the voice commands to locate a POI, the Lexus navigation just displays icons on the screen. In the RL, it'll list out destinations and allow you to choose from a number of available options.
I couldn't agree more with this statement. Just traded in my BMW 540 for a CPO LS430 yesterday and while I love the car, I have a difficult time accepting what seems to be a significant limitation with POI guidance. Is in indeed the case that I cannot just enter, say, 'Restaurants' and see a list of names sorted by distance from my current location? I would expect this to be the case as I have seen this on just about every other Nav system out there.

Granted, I'm very much the noobie with this car and perhaps am missing something obvious, but for now I'm left scratching my head. Say it ain't so!