LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

looking into ls430

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-06, 10:16 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default looking into ls430

im thinking about getting an 02+ ls 430. i see there is a base line and an ultra luxury. can anyone tell me what features are standards and which features are added with ultra luxury? i searched but i did not get any answers. thanks
Old 10-05-06, 08:18 AM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ILOVEGIRLS
im thinking about getting an 02+ ls 430. i see there is a base line and an ultra luxury. can anyone tell me what features are standards and which features are added with ultra luxury? i searched but i did not get any answers. thanks

Here you go

Factory Option Packages

Ultra Luxury Selection (requires Interior Upgrade Package) - $11,320 [2]

- Mark Levinson® [3] 11-speaker 240-watt [4] Premium Audio System
- Lexus voice-activated DVD Navigation System [5] with backup camera [6] and Bluetooth® technology [7]
- Perforated leather seating surfaces
- Dynamic Laser Cruise Control [8]
- Adaptive Variable Air Suspension
- Laminated side glass
- Manual rear-door window sunshades
- Intuitive Parking Assist
- Front and rear climate-control seats with heat/cool ****
- Headlamp washers
- Power door closers
- SmartAccess
- Rear-Seat Luxury Group:
Seat power slide adjuster with power headrest, memory and massager
Air conditioner controls with air purifier
Cool box
Audio controls
Swivel-type reading lamps

Ultra Luxury Selection with Pre-Collision System (PCS) [9] (requires Interior Upgrade Package) - $13,570 [2]

- Mark Levinson [3] 11-speaker 240-watt [4] Premium Audio System
- Lexus voice-activated DVD Navigation System [5] with backup camera [6] and Bluetooth® technology [7]
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control [8]
- Pre-Collision System (PCS) [9]
- Laminated side glass
- Headlamp washers
- Power door closers
- SmartAccess
Cool box
Audio controls

Custom Luxury Selection (requires Interior Upgrade Package) - $5,935 [2]

- Dynamic Laser Cruise Control [8]
- Laminated side glass
- Front climate-control seats with heat/cool ****
- Headlamp washers
- Power door closers
- Rear-seat heaters

Custom Luxury Selection with Pre-Collision System (PCS) [9] (requires Interior Upgrade Package) - $8,185 [2]

- Laminated side glass
- Headlamp washers
- Power door closers
- Rear-seat heaters

Premium Package - $1,390 [2]

- Rear-seat heaters

Modern Luxury Package - $4,980 [2]

- Rear-seat heaters

Sport Package with Polished-Finish Alloy Wheels - $800 [2] [10]

- Euro-tuned Sport Suspension
- 18-in polished-finish alloy wheels with P245/45R18 tires [11]

Sport Package with Chrome Wheels - $2,500 [2] [10]

- Euro-tuned Sport Suspension
- 18-in Lexus Chrome Wheels with P245/45R18 tires [11]
Individual Factory Options

- Interior Upgrade Package with perforated leather trim (requires Ultra Luxury or Custom Luxury Selection) - $2,100
- Interior Upgrade Package with perforated luxury leather trim (requires Ultra Luxury or Custom Luxury Selection) - $1,460
- 17-in all-season tires with Lexus Chrome Wheels [11] - $1,700
- 18-in all-season tires with polished-finish alloy wheels [11] - $800
- 18-in all-season tires with Lexus Chrome Wheels [11] - $2,500
- SmartAccess - $1,000
Dealer Accessories [12]
- Ashtray kit
- Car cover
- Cargo net
- Satellite Radio [13]
- Trunk mat
- Wheel locks

Mike
Old 10-05-06, 08:27 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 351 Likes on 205 Posts

UL IMO is the only way to go on an LS.
- Laminated side glass
- Headlamp washers
- Power door closers
- SmartAccess
Cool box
Audio controls
Let's break that down one by one.

1) Mark Levinson Sound System. Possibly the best sounding sound system for an extremely wide variety of music. I listen to lots of music from Daft Punk (french house), Jay-Z (rap), Pantera (Thrash Metal), Strunz and Farah (Spanish guitar), Bach (classical), and much more. The Mark Levinson system is the only system I've used where I can quickly and easily tune it to adjust the speakers output to accurately match the type of music I'm listening to. The bass hits hard if I need it to, the speakers don't distort at low ranges nor at high ranges, and the volume is clear even at high levels.
2) Navigation System. Um.. okay, Lexus navigation system sucks. Forget this existed
3) Perforated leather seating surfaces? I guess this includes the heated and cooled front and rear seats? This. Is. So. Cool. I drive in the early mornings where it's still cold outside. I turn up the seat heaters and keep the A/C to around 76F and it feels so great!
4) Dynamic Cruise Control. It's a godsend. I commute 60mi a day to school and it's nice to just follow traffic (I've got four tickets, so it's also a great way to prevent me from getting that fifth!).
5) PCS. Okay, there is a UL package that doesn't come with PCS. I did get it. I like it, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Seriously what is 2000$ compared to the long run?
6) Adaptive air suspension. The clincher! This makes the LS430 almost 2 cars in one. Sport mode stiffens up the suspension a great deal relatively. It's a nice change when you feel like getting a little rough.
7) I'm too lazy to address the rest but the smartaccess setup is nice and the rear seating package is wicked cool. Works great when I want to 'chauffer (sp?)' my parents and when.. ahem.. I need to 'chauffer' some girls.

For what it's worth. I hope I've helped!
Old 10-05-06, 09:37 AM
Luckydog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking also

I have been looking for the past month and can tell you that it can be a bit confusing all the options. IMO the Levinson is a must have so I have been looking for units that at least have that. I am looking for ones that have the Custom Luxury package as I am a bit concerned about the air controllers on the Ultra for the ride. I probably shouldn't be but others have had troubles.
The Ultra has some very nice toys that I would probably not use but the last post makes some excellent points.
Old 10-05-06, 10:28 AM
Mako88
Driver School Candidate

Everyone here will rave about the UL being "mandatory", but after testing/driving both, I didn't agree.

You spend all your time in the front seat, so the back seat toys go wasted unless you've got kids to use them. So cross all those goodies off, you'll never touch 'em. The power door close and headlight washers, no real purpose. Mark Levinson? Great, Navigation? Toyota nav sucks, but I still like nav in all my cars, so it stays. The air suspension? Stay away from that failure-prone system with all your strength. The regular shocks/springs rides as smoothly, if not more so amazingly, and doesn't surprise its owners one morning with a $4k repair bill. The air-conditioned seats would be nice, that's one perk that's pretty slick, and the perforated leather that goes with that option looks better than the smooth leather of the base LS in my opinion. More modern. Smartaccess is nice, it's very slick. The cruise control and PCS systems have no value to me, never use CC. Also don't need parking assist, thanks.

So for me it comes down to the Mark Levinson audio and Navi system being the "must have" options, and you can get them on non-UL cars thankfully. Everything else I don't have much use for, though I would have liked SmartAccess and possibly the ventilated seats. But the deal-breaker however is the air suspension, go search the forum on that beast and learn why you should avoid it.
Old 10-05-06, 10:59 AM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i guess it all boils down to what the OP wants to have in his car....

I personally LOVE everything about the UL including the AIR SUSPENSION..my favorite so far is the Auto Door Closers..you don't have to SLAM ANYTHING on this car. The back-up camera helps out and the CC is to DIE for..I really miss it since I lost it after putting in the LIP KIT.

Don't forget the SUEDE Interior if you go to the UL..

As far as the ML, it is an OK system..it is better than most stock system TONALITY wise and STAGING/IMAGING wise, but it still lacks the bottom end response and lower mid-bass kick.

Mike

Last edited by FLIPPU; 10-05-06 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-05-06, 05:25 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

I have a custom lux package, and I didnt think it was necessary to get the air suspension.
I drive through the pot holes of NYC without hardness yet I still manage to take some corners with this car. Obviously, do not compare this to a 750i sport ...because even with the 'Sport' mode, the LS430 is still not as 'tight' as the bmw.

Regarding the suede, or rather alancrata (sp?) interior, my car has it too, so its not only limited to the UL. My car too, has the soft-closing door and dynamic cruise control.

I believe ML is almost always found in most of the cars anyway, especially those with Navi.

In conclusion, unless you really need the rear seat package and the air suspension, I believe a Custom Lux package will do you just fine.
Old 10-05-06, 05:48 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for everyones' responses. im trying to feel if the LS is the car for me when it comes down to suspension. i have a 2nd gen gs with all of toms braces and coilovers...etc, and im pretty satisfied with the results. of course im going to go with toms braces with the LS. i guess im looking to see the LS can handle like my GS. ML is nice but i plan on putting in a system anyway..and NAV, im going to have to get it even if it sucks.

do they make the LS baseline with NAV? everything else i can deal with. thanks
Old 10-06-06, 01:57 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

That was my thinking too after evaluating both. I got the '03 because I didn't want air suspension, but I wanted the A/C seats here in hot Florida. If I had it to do again, I'd do the same, but I might spring for a '04-up now that they've gotten cheaper than when I bought mine over a year ago.

Originally Posted by Mako88
Everyone here will rave about the UL being "mandatory", but after testing/driving both, I didn't agree.

You spend all your time in the front seat, so the back seat toys go wasted unless you've got kids to use them. So cross all those goodies off, you'll never touch 'em. The power door close and headlight washers, no real purpose. Mark Levinson? Great, Navigation? Toyota nav sucks, but I still like nav in all my cars, so it stays. The air suspension? Stay away from that failure-prone system with all your strength. The regular shocks/springs rides as smoothly, if not more so amazingly, and doesn't surprise its owners one morning with a $4k repair bill. The air-conditioned seats would be nice, that's one perk that's pretty slick, and the perforated leather that goes with that option looks better than the smooth leather of the base LS in my opinion. More modern. Smartaccess is nice, it's very slick. The cruise control and PCS systems have no value to me, never use CC. Also don't need parking assist, thanks.

So for me it comes down to the Mark Levinson audio and Navi system being the "must have" options, and you can get them on non-UL cars thankfully. Everything else I don't have much use for, though I would have liked SmartAccess and possibly the ventilated seats. But the deal-breaker however is the air suspension, go search the forum on that beast and learn why you should avoid it.
Old 10-06-06, 04:19 PM
bkw
Driver School Candidate

06 with modern luxury + 18" wheels here. Only thing I wish I had were the manual rear door sunshades like that of our 05 RL which is included in the UL. If you have or are planning to have children, this is a must if you plan on carrying a newborn in the rear.
Old 10-08-06, 12:21 PM
Shenroq5
Rookie

If you're looking for an 02 LS430 and DONT mind the air suspension for whatever reason, you should look into getting an Ultra luxury package for sure. Why? Because if you are patient, you can often times find a better deal on the UL model than the base model!!!! We're talking used market here folks. If he was asking about a brand new car, that would be a different story.