LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Roof Antenna Use? (now updated with DIY replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-06, 03:56 PM
Kbach
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roof Antenna Use? (now updated with DIY replacement)

What's the little plastic antenna on the rear of the roof for? Phone, XM radio,????
Old 12-12-06, 04:51 PM
justfixit
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lexus Link if equipped with it. All LS430 had antenna even if Lexus Link was not. Let me guess... broken off ?
Old 12-12-06, 08:21 PM
Laclu007
Driver School Candidate

Can the antennae be left out if you don't have Lexus link? If not, is there a plug you can put in, instead of the antennae? Also, does anybody take the antennae out if going through an automatic car wash?
Old 12-13-06, 05:01 PM
!SPEED
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the antenna was for the navigation??
Old 12-13-06, 05:49 PM
Still_Single
Driver School Candidate

justfixit called it correctly - It's the analog cellular antenna for the older Lexus Link system. Even the newer 430s without Lexus Link have the antenna - the cable is just not connected to anything. I've never seen a plug to replace the antenna - but that doesn't mean someone out there hasn't done it. If there is a demand - someone will build it.
Old 12-13-06, 06:22 PM
Laclu007
Driver School Candidate

Interesting. My LS is a 2001 and I live in Canada. This means that 1) There was no navigation available for this car (not available in 2001 in Canada), and 2) Lexus Link has never been, and is still not, available in Canada. Nevertheless, I have the antennae on the roof! (Which lead me to wonder if there was a "plug" available, and why they wouldn't have just plugged it in the first place).
Old 12-13-06, 08:07 PM
Kbach
Pole Position

My antenna isn't broke. We just got the car a couple weeks ago and I was wondering if this was for the optional XM radio. Since it isn't, were does that one get mounted?
Old 12-14-06, 05:52 PM
Still_Single
Driver School Candidate

The XM antenna is commonly mounted on the top lip of the trunk. The Sirius antenna is supposed to be mounted on the front windshield - just to the right of the rear view mirror. Most, including myself, do not like the Sirius antenna idea - it blocks the windshield. Many do not like having the small antenna on the trunk either - but it's really not that bad.
Old 01-12-07, 07:12 PM
Bob_fromLA
Driver School Candidate

I found out my 2006 antenna doesn't go to anything and then noted that lots of the dealer sites advertised replacements for around $100. Thinking that must mean they are easy to steal (and they really are), I simple removed mine as it unscrews by hand and screwed in a small stainless cap screw. No problem with anything else in the car.
Old 01-14-07, 11:10 AM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile

Interesting to consider: how many useless $100+ replacement antennas have been sold to owners who had theirs stolen, or broken off in the carwash !
I was almost one of their victims; thanks ClubLexus for showing me the antenna has no function.
My newly purchased '04 had the broken off stub still in the base; it was easy to remove (it's brass) by drilling and twisting out with an "Easy-Out" bit. Hardest part was getting enough reach to work on it up there in the roof center. My best method was a short ladder leaning against the car; car protected by a thick mover's blanket.
FYI, the thread is 4mm x 0.7mm pitch; a readily available size at the home center. I've kludged together a little stainless screw/plastic plug to cover the base hole; not too pretty (or I'd attach a photo). But looks a lot better than a broken-off thread that your eye naturally notices every time you walk up to the car.
Maybe a more talented member will make up a good looking plug we can all enjoy; it will look better than the old antenna anyway, and give us a few more MPG due to reduced air resistance!
Old 01-14-07, 09:02 PM
DrummerK
Driver School Candidate

Default Drummer K.'s Homemade, "Quick-&-Dirty" Antenna Mod

Originally Posted by nc356
...FYI, the thread is 4mm x 0.7mm pitch; a readily available size at the home center. I've kludged together a little stainless screw/plastic plug to cover the base hole; not too pretty (or I'd attach a photo). But looks a lot better than a broken-off thread that your eye naturally notices every time you walk up to the car. ...Maybe a more talented member will make up a good looking plug we can all enjoy; it will look better than the old antenna anyway, and give us a few more MPG due to reduced air resistance!
Well, everyone, as a newbie Lexus owner & Club Lexus "convert," I've probably taken (asked questions and solicited information) more than given (contributing helpful hints, etc.) in the last few days, so here's my humble contribution as I've been inspired by this thread to try a "quick-&-dirty" antenna mod. Honestly, I simply looked around my house for just a few minutes to see what odds-&-ends parts I had around, and finished the mod in literally less than thirty minutes (and most of that was paint-drying time).

Referring to the series of photos below:

Photo 1. - You know those bumpers to keep closet doors from banging against the wall? Well, after glancing up and seeing this one, I took a look in my toolbox and found an extra rubber cap (like the one circled in blue).

Photo 2. - Closeup of the rubber cap and a short, 4mm x 0.7mm-pitch, round-top machine screw I also found in my toolbox. The only other item I needed for this impromptu experiment was a can of FLAT black spray paint.

Photos 3. & 4. - Closeups of the finished product! IMHO, it's better-looking than that longer, non-functional and clumsily-designed original antenna. I'm quite happy the way the flat black paint matches exactly and blends with the tone and texture of the antenna base -- as if original equipment! The only concern I have is that eventually (with washings and normal weathering), the household spray paint I used for the purposes of my experiment will quickly chip and/or fade. Any suggestions for better paint (I have touch-up paint that my Lexus dealer gave me, but it's not spray on) or a protective, non-gloss coating to put over the paint?

Photos 5. ~ 8. - Various angle-shots of the finished antenna mod (sorry for the reflective glare of garage lights in some of the shots, but it's stormin' outside tonight!) to give you an idea of contour and overall effect.

Let me know what you think, and again, I welcome any suggestions for the paint issue mentioned above (Photos 3. & 4.).

'Hope this helps! "Your mileage may vary!"

Attached Thumbnails Roof Antenna Use?  (now updated with DIY replacement)-antennamod_parts_views.jpg  
Old 02-15-08, 12:19 AM
DRWChicago
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DrummerK
Well, everyone, as a newbie Lexus owner & Club Lexus "convert," I've probably taken (asked questions and solicited information) more than given (contributing helpful hints, etc.) in the last few days, so here's my humble contribution as I've been inspired by this thread to try a "quick-&-dirty" antenna mod. Honestly, I simply looked around my house for just a few minutes to see what odds-&-ends parts I had around, and finished the mod in literally less than thirty minutes (and most of that was paint-drying time).
Man, if I could count the time I've spent thinking about how I could make a plug for this thing that matched the dimensions of the base with the same plastic...this is a nice cheap alternative to looking at the brass bung. I'm going to give it a whirl and post up when I get back home next month.

Nice work!

-rob
Old 02-07-11, 09:44 AM
ColoLexu4
Driver School Candidate

I bought a used LS 430 and the antenna was ruined. I went to PepBoys, and found a “Universal replacement” but it didn’t fit. I took that back, and went on eBay. I found an ad that had a set of drop down boxes asking for the specific car. I entered all the info, and bought that antenna. It arrived, and seemed very similar to the one that I had just taken back to PepBoys. It’s not worth my time to take it to the Post Office to return it, so I just kept it. When I had time, I looked at the new antenna and wanted to see if I could make it work.
I unscrewed the old antenna, and it seemed that the screw might fit inside the new antenna. I used small vice grips, and carefully pulled the screw, a bolt, and a bit of other stuff out of the old antenna. I carefully inserted the old screw and bolt (and other stuff) into the new antenna inner opening. There is a bolt at the base of the old antenna, so it wont fit in all the way up. The antenna I got came with two washers (spacers?). The larger diameter washer fit over the old antenna bolt. I put some Gorilla tape around the bolt to make the fit tighter.
Unless the aficionados really look close, they wont see the small gap between the antenna and the mounting base.
It’s not 100%, but it looks a lot better then a torn up antenna, and for about $18 including postage.
Hope this helps someone!