LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 Trunk Lid Tubes out of Gas!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-06, 06:23 PM
eapprill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS430 Trunk Lid Tubes out of Gas!

Our pheomatic tubes do not hold up the truck lid! What a DANGEROUS SITUATION! The lid fell down on my wife's shoulder and it is requiring surgery... Lexus in very negligent to supply such a POOR DESIGN AND PRODUCT..... Where can we buy new ones without paying the $375 price quoted by the Lexus Dealer? After market stores say Lexus has failed to release any specs so Lexus in making it difficult. Thanks, Earl
Old 01-07-07, 05:41 PM
jeffyjeffy
Driver School Candidate

Mine, too. Did anyone respond with aftermarket truck shocks? Please reply to jeffyjeffy@aol.com. Thanks.
Old 01-07-07, 05:44 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by eapprill
Our pheomatic tubes do not hold up the truck lid! What a DANGEROUS SITUATION! The lid fell down on my wife's shoulder and it is requiring surgery... Lexus in very negligent to supply such a POOR DESIGN AND PRODUCT..... Where can we buy new ones without paying the $375 price quoted by the Lexus Dealer? After market stores say Lexus has failed to release any specs so Lexus in making it difficult. Thanks, Earl
its not really poor product design as it is the fact that the LS430 is starting to age, so stuff that normally wears out over time, is wearing out. hood/trunk shocks go bad in every car no matter who makes it, its just a matter of time. im sorry that your wife had that happen but u cant really blame Lexus for using nitrogen shocks to lift the trunk and hood as it is an industry standard and there is no way that you can keep the shocks from going bad.
Old 01-07-07, 10:57 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by eapprill
If I were you, I would call Lexus' 1800 number, and at the prompt that asks "if your calling to tell us about the experiance your having with your Lexus, or Lexus dealer" then tell them about the situation. Surely, they will take care of you. Especially if it caused your wife serious injury. I would go as far as having them pay for the surgery if she's going to have one. Or have your lawyer send them a letter.
Old 01-08-07, 01:13 AM
jflynn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
its not really poor product design as it is the fact that the LS430 is starting to age, so stuff that normally wears out over time, is wearing out. ... u cant really blame Lexus for using nitrogen shocks to lift the trunk and hood as it is an industry standard and there is no way that you can keep the shocks from going bad.
Bull. You obviously don't have an LS430 with more than 40K miles, because I do and I've had a lot of other cars with similar miles and my LS430's trunk lid fell on my head once and it hurt like heck. No other car ever had this problem. It's one of the very few design flaws in the car, but it's a huge problem. It's not so much the design of the struts, but ratjer the design of the trunk lid linkage.

You don't know what you're talking about. Other cars' trunk lids don't do this even after 100K miles.
Old 01-08-07, 01:17 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jflynn
Bull. You obviously don't have an LS430 with more than 40K miles, because I do and I've had a lot of other cars with similar miles and my LS430's trunk lid fell on my head once and it hurt like heck. No other car ever had this problem. It's one of the very few design flaws in the car, but it's a huge problem. It's not so much the design of the struts, but ratjer the design of the trunk lid linkage.

You don't know what you're talking about. Other cars' trunk lids don't do this even after 100K miles.
no personal experience with trunk lids but i have had the hoods of 3 LS400s fall on my head :'(
Old 01-08-07, 08:27 AM
Frank T
Rookie

Lexus changed mine two days before the warranty period ended.
Old 01-08-07, 11:00 AM
lnguyenh
Pole Position

The trunk lid drops on my head at least 3 times too. I am trying to sell this car before I get killed!
Old 01-20-07, 07:52 PM
Frank T
Rookie

Gas struts are gas struts, no matter who makes them. They are all a A Pain In The A$$ and every one of them gets weaker from day one on.

They are the ONLY real problem that I have had with my LS in 4 years, and Lexus replaced they under warranty (no problem). If I have to change them again in another 4 years, I can live with that.

Frank
Old 01-24-07, 04:48 PM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had bad gas struts on two Ford Mustangs before they reached 40K on the meter,, so others do have the same issues,, just that I could buy them at Autozone for about $30 a car,,
Old 09-23-09, 02:18 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Still no aftermarket source for Trunk Support Cylinders or Hood Support Cylinders? AKA "Struts".
Old 09-23-09, 07:31 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

How about these? Some guys on the landcruiser forum have used them on the rear hatch of their LX470s. For $30.60 each, it's hard to go wrong (need to replace them in pairs).

http://www.autopartsbylou.com/lift-s...005&type=Trunk

Otherwise, OEM ones are $110 EACH.

http://lexuspartsonline.com/index2.h...&siteid=214281

--Jim

Last edited by V8_Fan; 09-23-09 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-24-09, 05:57 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many people have bought the trunk struts on ebay.
Old 09-24-09, 12:17 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Are the trunk and hood struts the same part? Interchangeable?
Old 09-24-09, 09:07 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DDLexus
Are the trunk and hood struts the same part? Interchangeable?
No. The hood weighs a lot more than the trunk, so how could they be the same?
The hood cylinders are $77 ea while the trunk ones are $110. Yes, the trunk ones cost MORE despite having to hold up less weight!

Last edited by V8_Fan; 09-24-09 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply: LS430 Trunk Lid Tubes out of Gas!