LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Headlight Aiming Process

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-06, 09:02 AM
AggieLS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Headlight Aiming Process

I posted this in the Lighting section but haven't gotten any response yet so thought I would also do it here in the LS430 section to see if that would help.

I've got an '04 LS430 that needs an slight vertical adjustment in aiming the headlights and I can't seem to find the two "wheels" shown in the manual to make the adjustments with. I've pulled off the black cover next to the lights, held by the three snaps, but still don't find the wheels shown in the image that the owners manual shows.

The dealer replaced the ALS module a month ago and the headlights were adjusted too low for my liking which I didn't notice when leaving in the daylight of course. I live 60 miles from the dealer so hate to make the hour trip just to make this simple adjustment.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks.
Old 12-15-06, 05:12 PM
Kbach
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't at this time, but it on my list of things for tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find. I think my left side is aimed a little low.
Old 12-15-06, 10:59 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I think they are adjusted via screws. (if they havent changed anything yet.) Should also mention this in your manual. Only problem is, its actually a hassle to remove the battery, and airbox (on my 98) AND find a white background, AND plug in the battery to run the lights, and adjust to your liking.
Old 12-16-06, 10:59 AM
Kbach
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took a look...not pretty. The battery is against the firewall on the right side, so no issues there. On the right side, remove the black plastic engine compartment covering, 3 pop connector and 1 screw cap. Looking at the back of the lights, you'll need to remove another smaller grey cover (3 screws if I remember right) to get to the adjuster pots.

The left side is another story. I removed the black plastic engine cover, the plastic cover beside the light housing itself, and 4 bolts holding in a 2 piece part that clips together in the middle. I'll not sure of it's function as it seems tied to the air filter housing, but this part has electrical connectors down the side that I could not remove in order to get to the adjusters. Again, I can see the grey plastic cover that would need to be removed, but didn't want to risk damage to try getting to them.

I think I'll just tell the Lexus Service manager that I think the lights are not aimed good and see if they'll adjust them.
Old 12-16-06, 01:11 PM
AggieLS
Pole Position

Wow, what a detailed effort just to make a minor adjustment. Guess I will just have to make a side trip next time I get into town to get it handled.

Thanks for the investigation and feedback.
Old 12-16-06, 04:22 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

I wish someone would make a module that would let us control the height via Auto leveling motors. I heard one was made for the IS300 guys... but I am not sure.
Old 12-16-06, 04:33 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I recently had my car serviced and asked the same question. I also think my drivers side is a bit too low, at about 15ft. it looks like a stair step up to the right side. The dealer hooked up the car and said it was normal and could not be adjusted, also that the ALS with not recognize the adjustment from the screws, I didn't think so but that was their response. The tech said the screws are for accident related issues and the ALS will override any adjustment. Sounded wierd but that's how it came back to me. He also said it would be low on the drivers side because I was in the seat. Let me know if your tech says otherwise, the manual gives us the adjustment for a reason I assume.
Old 12-16-06, 04:34 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

P.S. I have a 2004 LS430.
Old 12-17-06, 12:42 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

The drivers side is just a tick lower to prevent glare from the oncoming side.

It should look something like this:

Old 12-17-06, 07:25 PM
AggieLS
Pole Position

The tech here did adjust mine and svc mgr said it was easy to adjust if I needed it further adjusted. I had the ALS rear module replaced in mid-Oct and afterwards the lights were aimed lower than I could stand. It was just dangerous driving on interstate at speed in the dark. Had an oil change a week ago and they moved the air to high now; I get flashed all the time by folks thinking my brights are on. I don't even see a cut off on the road like I used to before the module was changed out.

So I think the lights can get adjusted somehow. I'm going to try and get to the city this week for a swing through adjustment while finishing some Christmas shopping. Will let you know what develops.
Old 12-18-06, 10:55 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

I asked my service man and he said it's normal.
I've gotten used to the lower but wider output.
Old 12-19-06, 09:06 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
The drivers side is just a tick lower to prevent glare from the oncoming side.

It should look something like this:

Thanks Grand, that's exactly what mine looks like, it was driving me nuts, now I know. Wish it could be even since my AR & OCD kicks in every now and then.
Old 12-22-06, 01:39 PM
AggieLS
Pole Position

Smile

To quote something I heard recently - "that was easy!" Visited the dealer this a.m. and the Master Technician took less than 5 minutes to adjust them. Most of that time was getting into the car and moving it in front of their doors at the right distance where they had marked the proper aim points. The tech owns an '03 Ultra himself and just enjoys the heck out of his car.

There are nickel-sized rubber plugs on the metal bracing going behind the lights just where the rubber insulation comes off the edge of the fender. My digital camera is dead, got to recharge batteries and then I will add a photo. The fitting closest to the fender is the one for vertical adjustment; you pop it off and then look into it at an angle back towards the cabin with a flashlight and you can see the wheel in there. Easy to reach with a large Phillips screwdriver and then just turn left or right to raise or lower the aim.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-22-06, 03:30 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by AggieLS
To quote something I heard recently - "that was easy!" Visited the dealer this a.m. and the Master Technician took less than 5 minutes to adjust them. Most of that time was getting into the car and moving it in front of their doors at the right distance where they had marked the proper aim points. The tech owns an '03 Ultra himself and just enjoys the heck out of his car.

There are nickel-sized rubber plugs on the metal bracing going behind the lights just where the rubber insulation comes off the edge of the fender. My digital camera is dead, got to recharge batteries and then I will add a photo. The fitting closest to the fender is the one for vertical adjustment; you pop it off and then look into it at an angle back towards the cabin with a flashlight and you can see the wheel in there. Easy to reach with a large Phillips screwdriver and then just turn left or right to raise or lower the aim.

Hope this helps.
That'll do both right and left?
I tried it with the included screwdriver in the Lexus kit that came with the car, I'll give it a shot with a longer, bigger Phillips.
Old 12-22-06, 04:09 PM
AggieLS
Pole Position

Yep, both sides. Almost too easy like it was years ago with sealed beam headlights.

Quick Reply: Headlight Aiming Process