LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I just installed a Viastech SLI and an Ultimate Lockpick..

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-07, 03:19 PM
Mandingo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sparky3

Let me guess, 5th gen "video" Ipod? You know what I've found for the workaround for this? I switch it over to another source before I get out of the car (AM/FM, etc). Then, even 3-4 days later I start the car back up, and toggle over to the "MD" input and it resumes right where I left off. Obviously this isn't a perfect solution, but better than nothing.

Shawn
Yes, 5th gen. Thanks Sparky, I'll give that a try tonight.

Where did you put the VAIS unit in your installation? Did you get it into the glovebox or leave it behind the heater control panel?
Old 04-21-07, 03:03 PM
daperlman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 04 LS430 owner

I just bought a CPO 2004 LS430 with Levinson and navigation. Thanks to this community for some really great info. I am excited to pimp my ride.

Question is: Can I use Ultimate Lockpick1 with the Vaistech SLX kit (XM Radio)?

thoerhetically I think I would end up with XM Sat interface (controlled through NAV, all the lockpick functionality - including a spare audio and video input (that I could hook aftermarket DVD to)
Old 04-28-07, 04:27 PM
daperlman
Driver School Candidate

Default It works!

So everything is hooked up and it works great. A word of warning if someone is planning on doing what I did.

The order form for the Ultimate Lockpick1 suggested using AUX AUDIO ISOLATOR WHERE ACCESSORY XM IS PRESENT - so for $9 I did. The audio out lines are very short in front of this thing (once you bury behind the dash) - so you'll want to extend with RCA male to female cables. When you do this, you'll have a hard time using that little pull out drawer. I am going to get extended and figure out another place for them (unless I find good retractable solution).

DVD/ Aux sound is good, not great... much softer than Vaistech XM sound. Picture is what I expected.... but A/C charger (lighter plug in for DVD) interferes with it. I am going to try electrostatic sheild to see it that makes a difference.

Will include video when completed

Last edited by daperlman; 04-28-07 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-12-07, 06:43 PM
rduncan265
Driver School Candidate

will this work on a 2002 ls430?
Old 05-12-07, 07:52 PM
rduncan265
Driver School Candidate

can you install this in a 2002 LS 430?
Old 05-20-07, 08:30 PM
alanhuth
Driver School Candidate

Default Vaistech and Lockpick in 04 LS430

Well, I bought both items (Ultimate Lockpick 1 and SoundLinq2) and had them installed this weekend at Best Buy, as I'm not confident in my own ability do this without causing permanent damage. As far as I can tell, everything was installed properly as the Ipod works, and so does the navigation. However, all is not well. This is either a warning or a request for help if my situation can be improved.

Oh, my LS does not have the DVD player, so the Ultimate LockPick came with the 3 RCA jacks to input audio/video. This does not work at all. I am supposed to get a DVD screen on the Nav and be able to play audio or video from these 3 RCA plugs, but I don't get a DVD screen. Everything else works fine.

I'd like to have that ability to input audio/video from an external player, so if anybody knows what I need to do differently, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, beware if you install both of these items.

Any feedback appreciated.
Old 05-21-07, 12:54 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hit your voice recognition button and say "DVD".
Old 05-25-07, 01:41 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone have a screen shot of the quality of a DVD movie on the nav screen? Is it watchable without "ghosting" or is the pixel fast enough for fast action scenes?

Thanks, Dave.
Old 09-03-07, 06:20 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Does it play whatever the iPod plays or does it use it as a mass storage device and decode on it's own?

I want to know if it's also compatible with Rockbox (because of lossless).
Old 11-24-07, 07:23 AM
mtaalib3
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by alanhuth
Well, I bought both items (Ultimate Lockpick 1 and SoundLinq2) and had them installed this weekend at Best Buy, as I'm not confident in my own ability do this without causing permanent damage. As far as I can tell, everything was installed properly as the Ipod works, and so does the navigation. However, all is not well. This is either a warning or a request for help if my situation can be improved.

Oh, my LS does not have the DVD player, so the Ultimate LockPick came with the 3 RCA jacks to input audio/video. This does not work at all. I am supposed to get a DVD screen on the Nav and be able to play audio or video from these 3 RCA plugs, but I don't get a DVD screen. Everything else works fine.

I'd like to have that ability to input audio/video from an external player, so if anybody knows what I need to do differently, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, beware if you install both of these items.

Any feedback appreciated.
hi. i'm not sure if you resolved your problem but i had the same issue. last night i tried what "sparky3" suggested and used voice command to get the dvd screen to come up with no success. however, what i discovered is that you need to use the dvd voice command on a specific screen. here is how you can do it:

assuming you are just getting into your car and starting it up, wait for the "i agree" to be disabled. press the "audio" button on the right side of the nav screen. you should see your cd player options or fm stations or whatever audio source has currently been selected on the screen (this assumes the power for the radio/cd player/tape player has not been shut off. if it has, turn it on). on this "audio" screen use the voice command to call for "dvd". if your external source (dvd player) is powered up the picture should be showing on the screen and the audio should be playing through the speakers. if you don't see a picture, try hitting the "picture" button on the nav screen to allow the dvd picture to come through. once you shut your car off all you have to do when you get back in is hit the "audio" button and then the "picture" button again after the "i agree" button is cleared by the lockpick. the external dvd selection won't change unless you select another signal source such as your cd player or radio.

fyi, i have a 2006 custom luxury ls430 with the ml navi system. i removed my cd changer and installed an alpine iva-d900 dvd/cd/mp3 player in the same location the factory changer came in. this unit also has a 7inch lcd screen with over a million pixels. i can either use it's video screen or the factory navi screen to watch movies while the vehicle is in motion (i don't recommend this if you are driving). i purchased an "ultimate lockpick" from coastaltech but i did not use the audio rca inputs to interface with my factory ml system. i only used the video rca input. i also installed an alpine mp3 cd changer in the glove box, aftermarket amps in the trunk (us amps), and replaced all the factory speakers including the ones in the dash which were a royal pain (had to pull the dash to get to the tweeters). i also had to make new runs of upgraded speaker wires to all of these new speakers. if you have any questions about the install or just questions in general, please feel free to pm me. good luck.

Last edited by mtaalib3; 11-24-07 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-24-07, 07:30 AM
mtaalib3
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by airtime
Does anyone have a screen shot of the quality of a DVD movie on the nav screen? Is it watchable without "ghosting" or is the pixel fast enough for fast action scenes?

Thanks, Dave.
i just installed my alpine iva-d900 last night. i looked at both screens and noticed that the navi screen was a little darker than the alpine. obviously this could be fixed using the brightness option. i haven't had a chance to watch any movies yet. i only had the menu screen from one movie playing so far. there is some motion from various points in the movie but no "action" scenes. i haven't noticed any ghosting but then again i only had one movie playing. the resolution seems to be good. i'll let u guys know if i have any issues with the navi screen playing movies.

btw, unless i'm mistaken the screen's refresh rate determines whether there will be ghosting. the screen's pixel count (total number of pixels) will determine picture quality. generally speaking, the higher number for the refresh rate and pixels, the better.

Last edited by mtaalib3; 11-24-07 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-16-07, 07:03 AM
spender
Driver

I just replaced the plastic bezel on my navigation screen in my 04 LS430 last night, and I had three little tips I wanted to share with the Lexus community that I think will make your lives easier, if you ever need to get into the center bezel for any reason, whether to install a Lockpick, a Vaistech, or just like me, to replace a scratched bezel.

Here they are:

1. To remove the driver/passenger temperature buttons, it's easiest to use a hook tool, like the one that is second from the right below.

Just dip the point in slightly behind the top of each button, make sure you're on the "lip" (see pictures below), and give it a pull. These now come out in seconds rather than the longer time some posters have mentioned.

2. When taking out the screws behind the temperature switches, to remove them I used a magnetic probe right under my socket screwdriver to ensure that when they were out, they would get caught immediately by the magnetic. Also, to reattach, I used that blue poster putty stuff (buy it at Staples or any office store) inside the socket head to give a secure hold on the bolts.

3. Use microfibre towels to cover everything, and stuff them in various holes to prevent anything from falling too far if you drop it! Good for peace of mind.

Finally, it took me a little under an hour to get everything disassembled and reassembled. For those of you on the fence, although it feels a little scary to be taking your expensive precision toy apart, it's not as hard as it looks (assuming you have tinkered with cars before), and just do it!

Last edited by spender; 12-16-07 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-21-07, 08:26 PM
scottmcc
Rookie

Default Ultimate lockpick project

Hello all

I purchased the ultimate lockpick 1 and installed a DVD\MP3 Player in my glove box.

I am really satisfied with the video and sound quality of the DVD. Ultimate lockpick worked as it said it would.

Total installation cost was $200 in Labor.. $200 for lock pick and $100 for DVD player..

There are some audio problems that we had to work out and I am not so sure that it is not the DVD player that is causing them and I plan to do some testing over the Holidays. I have noticed that when the DVD RCA audio cables are plugged into the Lexus sound system there is a drop in volume for all other inputs, SAT, CD, FM, etc. If the DVD player power is turned off then all audio is cancelled and will not come back on unless the power to the DVD player is turned on. Again I thing this is a problem with the DVD player as i have not seen anyone else with this issue. My resolve right now is to keep the DVD power on and or unplug the RCA output cables from the DVD player until I get this issue resolved..

Here are some pix..

The cable picture is what you get from coastal for $200.. The other two are the custom installation of the DVD player installed on the removable shelf in the glove box..DVD player has a remote eye and is controlled via remote so the glove box can remained closed for operation.
Attached Thumbnails I just installed a Viastech SLI and an Ultimate Lockpick..-dsc00963.jpg  
Old 12-21-07, 08:27 PM
scottmcc
Rookie

Default more pix

here is a picture of the front view
Attached Thumbnails I just installed a Viastech SLI and an Ultimate Lockpick..-dsc00964.jpg  
Old 12-21-07, 08:30 PM
scottmcc
Rookie

Default picture 3

here is what you get from coastal tech...
Attached Thumbnails I just installed a Viastech SLI and an Ultimate Lockpick..-dsc00957.jpg  

Quick Reply: I just installed a Viastech SLI and an Ultimate Lockpick..