LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Unbiased opinion needed -- keep GS4 or upgrade to LS430?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-07, 07:03 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for all the helpful replies guys. I read all of them, and really appreciate the input. I'll try to respond to a few of them in particular.

Originally Posted by sparky3
What do you mean by kind of funny?
Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
I see your point 100%. Not everyone enjoys the extra stares associated with a newer car, and im one of them. But at the same time, you dont want to buy something and second guess your decison everytime you drive it, or drive by a newer one. These are both very tough issues, and deciding isnt always easy.
Sparky -- Grand_LS4 hit the nail on the head. There's an extra "something" associated with driving a "newer" used car, particularly an expensive one. I can't quite explain it in words, but here it goes. Basically, I'd feel funny about it because even though I bought the car used for less money than many people spend on a new car, there would be an assumption by most people (right or wrong) that you bought the car new, and an 04-06 LS costs around $65,000 new. I feel that people would look at me and wonder how I could afford a $65,000 car. In my company, I perceive that as a problem (even though it really might not be a problem). For some reason, I feel that the same reasoning would not apply with an 01 or 02. The truth is that most normal people probably couldn't tell the difference, but I could, and I guess that's all that matters.

Originally Posted by rominl
lol eric, didn't we talk about this LONG time ago? i agree with chris, if you were to change, get the 04+. i wouldn't get myself into 01-03, maybe just me but i would rather keep the gs400 now
Hey Henry. Long time no talk. Here's the million dollar question. Does the 04+ LS430 come in alpine silver? If not, I may find myself scouring the country for a low-mile 98 or 99 LS400. I'm sure you can you guess what color I won't be going with.

Originally Posted by usermel
I agree with Rominl, I say keep the GS4. I think if you are conerned with price now,wait about another year. The 2004 you want will be a bit cheaper by then. Also if you do the 90,000 mile service you can drive the GS4 for another year and not feel like it was a waste of your money.
This is exactly my thinking. The 90k will cost around $1,500, and when you think of it, that's a small amount of money to spend to drive the car for basically as long as I want to. With most new cars (and high-end used ones), my monthly payment would be well over $500 a month, so the 90k service is basically 3 car payments. That's a small price to pay to drive the car for several more years. It will also buy me all the time I need to think through my options and make the right decision when the time comes.

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
As an owner of both, I'd say keep the GS for now and wait until the 04+ drops within your price range.
Thanks Dave. That's the direction I'm leaning. I recently spent a nice chunk of change on new shocks and new tires for the 17s, so I'd like to get some bang for those bucks. Also, once I do the 90k, I'll want to get my money's worth there too. Realistically, I guess I would make the move 2 years from now (at the most), which would be January of 2009. At that time, the 04s will be 5 years old and the oldest year capable of still being certified.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

e
Old 01-23-07, 09:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

lol, i knew you going to ask me. the 04+ i think they have the Mercury Metallic, which doesn't have the golden flake like the millennium silver anymore. i actually kind of like that silver (if i remember correctly)
Old 01-23-07, 09:55 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lol, i knew you going to ask me. the 04+ i think they have the Mercury Metallic, which doesn't have the golden flake like the millennium silver anymore. i actually kind of like that silver (if i remember correctly)
Actually, I knew that already. I remember very well when the 04 LS came out in the new silver. I didn't know the name of the paint at the time, but it was clearly different from millennium and much more similar to alpine. Color definitely won't be a problem for me this time around. Phew.
Old 01-23-07, 09:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Actually, I knew that already. I remember very well when the 04 LS came out in the new silver. I didn't know the name of the paint at the time, but it was clearly different from millennium and much more similar to alpine. Color definitely won't be a problem for me this time around. Phew.
lol, good, don't make it a problem. we all remember how painful it was i am sure
Old 01-23-07, 10:32 PM
HELLAFLUSH
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can afford the LS, get it!
Old 02-02-07, 08:10 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Keep this in mind... your GS will depreciate a lot more when you hit the 100k mark on the odometer. At 90k miles you're not percieved as a "high milage" car. I'd say ditch the GS, save the $1500 maintenance and got an LS. If you want the '04 look, you'll compromise on the options due to your budget contraints. You could get a fully loaded Ultra with lower miles. This would keep you from spending too much.

Keep in mind, you can modify an '01-'03 LS to make it look more like the '04+. Here are a few tips...
1. Add some $30 exhaust tips
2. Buy some aftermarket tail lamps ($300)
3. Buy some eye brows for the headlamps that give the lights a more angled look.
4. possibly add some different wheels (5 spoke)

Other than thatm you'll be set for $5k-$10 less money. Right?

Good luck. I moved from a 1998 Pearl White GS400 to my 2001 LS430 few years ago. I drove the GS until it hit 86k miles and then sold for $18k. I plan to sell my LS this year (approaching 80k miles) and I'll probably get a Porsche. Lexus has been a great car to own with few problems.