LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Install questions for VAISTECH in LS430?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-07, 06:35 PM
ddickhut
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install questions for VAISTECH in LS430?

I have an 05 LS430 with NAV and Mark Levinson, and need some help to install a VAISTECH ipod adapter. I have looked through the service manual on Toyota's tech web site but it isn't very clear.

How does one get access to the head unit/connectors? Which trim pieces come off to get access to the screws? And where have people mounted the VAISTECH box under the dash?

There's a great set of pictures and install instructions for the VAISTECH in the RX330 forum. Anything similar for the LS430 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any replies !
Old 01-24-07, 07:51 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all, the NAV doesn't need to come out. Just the following:

The bottom panel that has the seat A/C and heating controls. It has two clips on either side, and it's held in by gravity. Take a short flat screwdriver and put black electrical tape or something on the tip so it doesn't scratch the panel itself. You should be able to pop this out without much force.

There are now two exposed phillips head screws on each side now, if memory serves. Remove these. Above these are two 10mm bolts that need removed on each side. The panel with the slide-out tray and flip down CD Changer access should slide out.

Next, there should be 2 more screws at the bottom that hold in the changer / radio. It's possible as well that these too are 10mm bolts. This is all from doing this 2 weeks ago. All I remember is that I had 2 10mm bolts and 4 phillips head screws sitting on the passenger's seat with the radio and changer removed. Once you have this, you should be able to pull out the factory radio and CD Changer (all one unit basically).

The Vaistech is "daisy chained" into the larger plug on the back of the radio. I personally ran the ipod cable to the glove compartment for easy access. To do this, you'll probably need to pull out the Navigation unit as there's not much room to run the wire unless you end up mounting it under the armrest.

If you decide to remove the NAV, be careful. Both Temperature controls will need to come out (which is easy, just use the sharp "padded" tool once again to pop them out). They too are simply held in place by gravity so to speak. Once out, take your trouble light and look in there. There's about a 4 inch space between the dash and the 2 phillips head / 10 mm screws holding in the radio on each side. Word of advise - get a socket with enough extension to first loosen the 2 screws on each side, then make sure you use a magnetized phillips head to remove them. If you drop a bolt like I did, it's a pain to fish out of the bottom part of the console. Just have a steady hand and some patience. The NAV should pop out without too much hassle after the four bolts have been removed. There will be 2 wiring harnesses plugged in at the top holding it in; once removed the Nav is relatively flat and can be set aside. Then you'll have an easier time routing the IPOD Vaistech adapter to the glove compartment. See my other thread that's stickied atop this forum for where I placed the Ipod itself.

Good luck - it's much easier than it sounds. My car is an 04 with Nav/ML so it should be identical.
Shawn
Old 01-24-07, 09:46 PM
ddickhut
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, sparky3, for the information.

I also checked out your stickied thread and that info is also great, including where to mount the VAISTECH box.

Great install info and pix!
Old 01-24-07, 10:29 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just don't lose those screws at the top!