LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Blown Mark Levinson rear-sub, NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-07, 07:48 PM
JusLex01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Mark Levinson rear-sub, NEED HELP!

Hey,
My rear subwoofer sounds really bad in the rear, can't handle low bass and I think it's blown. Does anyone know what size and specs are? Is it Free Air? Does anyone know where I can get one ASAP?
2001 LS 430 UL

Last edited by JusLex01; 01-30-07 at 07:49 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02-01-07, 06:54 AM
jonrago
Driver School Candidate

THis is a very common problem from what I understand.

I just bought my 01 UL in December. My sub blew out, TWICE! The first one blew out during my test drive! The dealer swapped it out from another LS 430 Levinson System. That one blew out in 25 minutes! I am NOT a thumper, but I have a critical ear. The sound seperation is amazing but can not be based up too much. Most music was not meant to be bassed like Hip Hop anyway but it blew out to Earth Wind and Fire with the bas 2 lines above the midpoint!!!

When I got the car back to my home town, the local Lexus parts guy told me he sells 4 replacements subs per month! With the installation this is a $500 replacement!

When I freaked at the price, the service advisor told me to get it reconditioned. I think it is called "re-coned". The guy I went to said he does a lot of these for the local dealer. It cost me $175 and he says that it is better than new and has never had one returned to him blown out again. I am pleased with 1 month into the re-coned sub. It sounds the same to me, and although I have cranked it too much, I have played EWF's Greatest Hits and it did not blow out!

If you want to try to replace it vs repair, I know the following: It is an 8" Free Air Sub. I beleive it is 45 watts. This is a problem becuase a replacement has to be around that amount of power. I could not find a low powered sub like this. The only soultion was to add another amp and get a higher wattage sub. I am not sure what that would do the sound quality of the Levinson System nor did I want any aftermarket stuff on mine.

Best of Luck! Awesome ride! Awesome Sound!
Old 02-01-07, 08:36 PM
JusLex01
Driver School Candidate

Thanks you.
Old 02-02-07, 07:22 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Do some searchs on the ML SUB and you'll see that there is a JL Audio replacement. I put it in my car to replace the wimpy ML unit and it sounds just a good as the factory. I didn't notice a sound difference, which is good if you have a blown one. I bought the JL Audio sub to get a deeper bass sound. You'll need a bigger sub and amp mounted in the trunk to get a deeper sound.

The only problem I've noticed is the back dash rattles when the bass hits. You need to add some foam in a strategic spot to eliminate the vibration noise. I was successful doing this around one of the speaker grill covers.
Old 02-02-07, 07:48 AM
donpasscal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DDLexus
Do some searchs on the ML SUB and you'll see that there is a JL Audio replacement. I put it in my car to replace the wimpy ML unit and it sounds just a good as the factory. I didn't notice a sound difference, which is good if you have a blown one. I bought the JL Audio sub to get a deeper bass sound. You'll need a bigger sub and amp mounted in the trunk to get a deeper sound.

The only problem I've noticed is the back dash rattles when the bass hits. You need to add some foam in a strategic spot to eliminate the vibration noise. I was successful doing this around one of the speaker grill covers.
I did a search for 'ML SUB' with no hits on this site or on google.

thanks
Old 02-02-07, 08:25 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry...
ML Subwoofer on the LS430 forum here at ClubLexus

Check out this thread...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=ml+subwoofer

Last edited by DDLexus; 02-02-07 at 08:33 AM.