LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How many miles do YOU have on your LS430? (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-17, 10:38 AM
mbr439a
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Mileage on 2004 LS430

It just turned 100k a few days ago. I bought the car from a private party about 50 or 60k on the speedometer. Have had a few problems with it; 1) Right side mirror on passengers side was taken off by an old man trying o cut into my lane. cost to fix Casing for the mirror, $650, mirror itself is another $300. I couldn't believe it. $300 had to b a mistake but after checking around, I got pretty much the same price. 2) Contact switch for raising/lowering the sound (just under left side of the steering wheel) cost $300 to repair. 3). Display screen for radio, climate, GPS, etc. conked out. Another $1200. 4) Last major problem was the radio one day had no sound. Took it to my mechanic said it was the Amplifier. Bought from Lexus the unit costs $1200. On my own, I found a site that fixes amplifiers on high end cars. Sent it to them and got it back with a bill for $375.00 which includes a 1 year warranty. Whole process from finding them to sending my amplifier to them and returned back to me was one week.

If it were any other car I owned, I'd have it donated to some type of charity. But I love the ride and other amenities on this car. As long as there's an engine on the car, I'll be keeping it. You can expect problems on a car with so many electronics.but the car is still in great shape with no issues on the body except for the wheels. The paint is slowly coming off and I think I'll find some good used rims somewhere for a few hundred dollars.
Old 03-06-17, 09:49 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

LS wheels are hard to find. Looked for several weeks but finally found a set on Craig's. 500 for nice high polish 17's in good shape w good tires. Good luck w/ your search.
Old 03-07-17, 04:58 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I'm coming up on 88k, and when I started the car after work yesterday, triangle with ! . Immediately, I panicked, so what did I do? I opened the gas door and the hood. For real.

Why? Because I thought maybe I left the parking brake on, or sometimes the car thinks it's on, and I pull the release. But since I don't use the parking brake, I don't intrinsically know where the release is. So now I drive home, oh ****, what is it, ABS pump, wheel speed sensor, wth......when I get a chance, I shut the car off, and restart, and watch closely. I think it said maint reqd soon?

Turns out I'm like 350 away from a 5k oil change, feels like I just did it the other day. So I guess the reminder works. I cannot reset it from memory, will have to pull out the thread/instructions....
Old 03-07-17, 09:54 PM
clete63
Driver School Candidate

2001 Ultra, 56,000 miles that I picked up two weeks ago...just took it on a 500 mile shakedown cruise and haven't found a thing wrong with it, other than the windshield rock chip I picked up on the Pa. turnpike
Coming from a 1999 ES that my son was more than glad to take the reins of
Old 03-08-17, 05:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by clete63
2001 Ultra, 56,000 miles that I picked up two weeks ago...just took it on a 500 mile shakedown cruise and haven't found a thing wrong with it, other than the windshield rock chip I picked up on the Pa. turnpike
Coming from a 1999 ES that my son was more than glad to take the reins of
Where are you in PA......the turnpike is lousy....we usually use the stretch from 476 to Rt. 1, to go to north Jersey....and with that connector bridge being out, there was one day I went there on a weekday, bedlam....with so many accidents, I question why the speed limit was raised to 70 mph....

p.s. 56k is sweet!
Old 03-08-17, 05:50 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by clete63
2001 Ultra, 56,000 miles that I picked up two weeks ago..
Welcome aboard Clete. You'll have to add a few pictures when you can

Last edited by 2KHarrier; 03-08-17 at 05:55 AM.
Old 03-09-17, 03:17 AM
clete63
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Where are you in PA......the turnpike is lousy....we usually use the stretch from 476 to Rt. 1, to go to north Jersey....and with that connector bridge being out, there was one day I went there on a weekday, bedlam....with so many accidents, I question why the speed limit was raised to 70 mph....

p.s. 56k is sweet!
Hour south of Pburgh, we were heading to family wedding in West Chester.

Picked the car up from an estate in Ligonier. They used it mainly for transporting visitors to the estate and at their "winter home" in Ca. Came with winter treads on stock alloys and new summer tires on chrome. Deal was pretty good , so I settled for the Mystic Gold. Can't think of another ride where you get so much car for the price of a nice Civic. Very happy with the purchase

Really appreciating all the time and information you all have invested into this site
Old 03-09-17, 04:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Nice....West Chester is our neck of the woods, i.e. the 5 counties in Phila. It's interesting out here, the county seats are all nice, except (sorry if anyone lives there) for Montco., which is where Cosby's trial takes place. I've done jury duty probably 4X by now, once on a criminal trial. Always wanted to try me one of them Primanti Bros. sandwiches, but have never been in Pitt. proper.

Yes I digress.....I think my LS crossed 88k this AM. For me, 7k in 5 mos. seems to be a lot......but I think she can go the distance...
Old 03-09-17, 10:41 AM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Im close to passing my first 10,000 miles since owning the vehicle since August 2016. And the love hasn't stopped at all! Currently at 75,000 miles. Bought when it was at 66,000 miles.

Last week I went home to see the parents as a surprise, so i had to take the LS. Was a 600 mile / 10 hour journey one way. Floated along through the Appalachians of Tennessee and flatlands of Indiana like a dream. No fuss at all and I was serene comfort all along.

The only issue is the 5 hours i took washing and waxing the car two weeks ago was completely un-done haha. Ah well, like other members here say; these things are meant to be drivin'.

PS: Dunno why people crap on the ML sound. For a 15 year old system i find it still very clear and non-fatiguing after 10 hours of straight listening. And even for a guy like me who likes to pump up the volume playing music-that-mainly-high-schoolers-listen-to, it's very very nice for a "stock" system.
Old 03-09-17, 10:15 PM
FloatRider
Driver School Candidate

Default 11 year LS 430 Owner - Just joined forum today - March 9, 2017

My Lexus is a 2006 LS430 Ultra, with black interior.exterior, with gold ornamental trim in the backend that was done by the dealer. I have now driven it 275,000 miles on mostly Houston freeway-tollways, about 70 miles roundtrip daily to work and back, adding 25,000 miles per year. The ride is very comfortable and being 6'3' tall and about 250 lbs, the large seats are great compared to my wife's 2013 LS460 Sport tight bucket seats, which I cannot stand. I find my height is cramped in all the LS460's, but I have plenty of head room in my LS430. Maintenance has all been at the dealer,with replacement of all 4 strut-shocks and a catalytic converter, being the major repairs. Love the floating suspension ride, which is helped by the 18" cushy Michelin tires, especially compared to my wife's tight suspension and 19" wheels Her Michelin tires last 20,000 miles at most, and mine last 45-50,000 miles every time. I float to work and back everyday,and love the climate control and entertainment system. Had bluetooth added to play music from my IPhone. I pay $ 150 every two years for a new destination disk, which is in some ways moreuseful than phone map apps. Friends love the reclining backseats with massagers and heat or a/c in them,aswell as window shades. Wish Lexus still made this big roomy floating ride car, because I'd buy it again just as it is. That's my story. All the best, FloatRider
Old 03-10-17, 09:23 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

I bought my 04 UL in 2007 with 21,000 miles on it and CPO. I have driven it for 10 years and added an additional 100,000 miles. My local Lexus dealer has done all of my maintenance and repair. The car still looks nearly new, inside and out. Everyone enjoys riding in it with all the many features, all of which work. If anything breaks, I have it fixed. My auto steering and folding mirrors are used constantly and have never failed. I have to fold the mirrors every time I go into or out of the garage. Maybe these things last longer if they are used regularly.

Bottom line, I love this car and don't have any desire to trade it for anything.
Old 03-11-17, 05:06 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I bought my 04 UL in 2007 with 21,000 miles on it and CPO. I have driven it for 10 years and added an additional 100,000 miles. My local Lexus dealer has done all of my maintenance and repair. The car still looks nearly new, inside and out. Everyone enjoys riding in it with all the many features, all of which work. If anything breaks, I have it fixed. My auto steering and folding mirrors are used constantly and have never failed. I have to fold the mirrors every time I go into or out of the garage. Maybe these things last longer if they are used regularly.

Bottom line, I love this car and don't have any desire to trade it for anything.
Jay I think you and I must be distant relations. I can say the exact same thing about my 06 LS430. Purchased as CPO 2006 LS430 with 13k miles on it in 2009 and have driven it for 8 years, now with 95k miles on it. Still runs and looks like new. And to date I see nothing better out there to trade for.
Old 03-11-17, 06:07 AM
Lzam
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 123,000 miles on my 2004 LS 430 just payed it off 2 weeks ago Ihave done all of the maintence myself except for timing belt service. Car has been great only thing left to do is find the location of the mysterious whine in the engine. I plan to get 300,000 thousand miles out of this baby.
Old 03-13-17, 07:58 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Lzam
I have 123,000 miles on my 2004 LS 430 just payed it off 2 weeks ago.
Very nice. There's no feeling like not having a car payment...
Old 03-13-17, 09:25 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mbr439a
It just turned 100k a few days ago. I bought the car from a private party about 50 or 60k on the speedometer. Have had a few problems with it; 1) Right side mirror on passengers side was taken off by an old man trying o cut into my lane. cost to fix Casing for the mirror, $650, mirror itself is another $300. I couldn't believe it. $300 had to b a mistake but after checking around, I got pretty much the same price. 2) Contact switch for raising/lowering the sound (just under left side of the steering wheel) cost $300 to repair. 3). Display screen for radio, climate, GPS, etc. conked out. Another $1200. 4) Last major problem was the radio one day had no sound. Took it to my mechanic said it was the Amplifier. Bought from Lexus the unit costs $1200. On my own, I found a site that fixes amplifiers on high end cars. Sent it to them and got it back with a bill for $375.00 which includes a 1 year warranty. Whole process from finding them to sending my amplifier to them and returned back to me was one week.

If it were any other car I owned, I'd have it donated to some type of charity. But I love the ride and other amenities on this car. As long as there's an engine on the car, I'll be keeping it. You can expect problems on a car with so many electronics.but the car is still in great shape with no issues on the body except for the wheels. The paint is slowly coming off and I think I'll find some good used rims somewhere for a few hundred dollars.
LOL about the charity donate comment. My 01 base had zero problems for 3.5 years. Sold and bought an 04 ML. Multiple issues (6 speed shifting, blown sub, dim NAV, etc). I was frustrated enough that I wrote a Craig's ad and took pictures. Didn't list but couldn't see driving more than a short day trip. Kept because they really are great cars and it's hard to find a nice one. This one's finally starting to feel more like a "can drive it across the country" car.

Quick Reply: How many miles do YOU have on your LS430? (The Mother thread)