LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How many miles do YOU have on your LS430? (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-17, 10:46 AM
Twash26
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many miles do I have 2005 LS430

I have 323040 miles on my joy it's been everything that I thought it would be some problems here and there and it could be a little luck that I do some maintenance work myself brakes and such but getting rid of it I don't know if they ever made a better vehicle my wife told me that I would never get rid of it she might be right , it's been a very dependable car .
Originally Posted by mbr439a
It just turned 100k a few days ago. I bought the car from a private party about 50 or 60k on the speedometer. Have had a few problems with it; 1) Right side mirror on passengers side was taken off by an old man trying o cut into my lane. cost to fix Casing for the mirror, $650, mirror itself is another $300. I couldn't believe it. $300 had to b a mistake but after checking around, I got pretty much the same price. 2) Contact switch for raising/lowering the sound (just under left side of the steering wheel) cost $300 to repair. 3). Display screen for radio, climate, GPS, etc. conked out. Another $1200. 4) Last major problem was the radio one day had no sound. Took it to my mechanic said it was the Amplifier. Bought from Lexus the unit costs $1200. On my own, I found a site that fixes amplifiers on high end cars. Sent it to them and got it back with a bill for $375.00 which includes a 1 year warranty. Whole process from finding them to sending my amplifier to them and returned back to me was one week.

If it were any other car I owned, I'd have it donated to some type of charity. But I love the ride and other amenities on this car. As long as there's an engine on the car, I'll be keeping it. You can expect problems on a car with so many electronics.but the car is still in great shape with no issues on the body except for the wheels. The paint is slowly coming off and I think I'll find some good used rims somewhere for a few hundred dollars.
Old 03-15-17, 11:13 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Twash26
I have 323040 miles on my joy it's been everything that I thought it would be some problems here and there and it could be a little luck that I do some maintenance work myself brakes and such but getting rid of it I don't know if they ever made a better vehicle my wife told me that I would never get rid of it she might be right , it's been a very dependable car .
Congrats! 323k is certainly awesome and I have never seen one that high on cars.com. If it were me, I'd keep going......

I wonder, is a 2005 with 323k, or a 2005 with 40k, likely to end up with higher mileage when one day the car fails and is not worth repairing? Meaning, is it better for the car to be driven daily consistently, or to have low mileage and be driven sparingly....my bet is on the former....

ROLL ON 4EVER!
Old 03-16-17, 09:39 PM
Twash26
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Congrats! 323k is certainly awesome and I have never seen one that high on cars.com. If it were me, I'd keep going......

I wonder, is a 2005 with 323k, or a 2005 with 40k, likely to end up with higher mileage when one day the car fails and is not worth repairing? Meaning, is it better for the car to be driven daily consistently, or to have low mileage and be driven sparingly....my bet is on the former....

ROLL ON 4EVER!
Old 03-18-17, 01:42 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Lzam
I have 123,000 miles on my 2004 LS 430 just payed it off 2 weeks ago Ihave done all of the maintence myself except for timing belt service. Car has been great only thing left to do is find the location of the mysterious whine in the engine. I plan to get 300,000 thousand miles out of this baby.
Yeah the mysterious whine. My 01 was "sewing machine quiet" at idle (with hood up). My 04 is not. The whine is noticeable on cold start. Maybe the PS pump. Noisy when turned in either direction. Had it flushed and refilled. Am going to see what they used to refill. Played "stethoscope doctor". Neighbor's Tundra (2UZ-FE) PS pump sounded smooth. Mine sounds like a hammer pounding rapidly.
Old 03-19-17, 02:55 AM
alnader
Driver School Candidate

My LS430 is +300K mile just now i replaced the two side mirror & one spark plug coil & it's working good except one think which is when i accelerate i got bad smell only when he glass open i wonder how to solve that
Old 03-19-17, 04:41 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by alnader
My LS430 has +300K miles just now I replaced the two side mirrors & one spark plug coil & it's working good except one thing which is when I accelerate I get bad smell only when the glass is open I wonder how to solve that?
May be that the catalytic converter is failing? With that kind of mileage, I wouldn't be surprised..
Old 03-19-17, 04:49 AM
alnader
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
May be that the catalytic converter is failing? With that kind of mileage, I wouldn't be surprised..
because I'm travailing most of the time also I'm from meddle east so you know the distance here is to long
and what is this catalytic and how to replace it
Old 03-19-17, 05:07 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

If you do a search on the internet about Catalytic Converters, you'll learn more than you care to know about them. Basically part of the exhaust system. You may not even be required to have one on the car in Oman, and without scanning the car's computer for any stored codes, you may not know what the problem is. First thing I would do is get the car's computer scanned. at least you'll know what the car may be telling you.
Old 03-19-17, 05:12 AM
alnader
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
If you do a search on the internet about Catalytic Converters, you'll learn more than you care to know about them. Basically part of the exhaust system. You may not even be required to have one on the car in Oman, and without scanning the car's computer for any stored codes, you may not know what the problem is. First thing I would do is get the car's computer scanned. at least you'll know what the car may be telling you.
Thanks my friend but my car is import from US so it may have that one
Old 05-11-17, 03:06 PM
reozone
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Let's see if this thread has any more life in it. I posted here a year or two ago. My 01 now has 275k miles on it and I regret to say we are looking to upgrade to an LS460 AWD, 5 or so years old. The 01 still runs well, but is starting to have some issues. Nothing major ever went wrong and I always did my own maintenance. It's been a remarkable car, so much so that my wife refuses to consider any other make. For the benefit of other readers of this post, here are the current issues:
1) Rust on front doors along trim line (fixed the driver side years ago, but now the passenger side is going.
2) Other rust areas around rear wheel well, hood by grille, top of windshield, and wheels.
3) T&T steering wheel on the blink (could be motors)
4) Drivers side mirror control acting up.
5) starting to use a little oil (about 1QT every 3k miles)(still looks like
6) Transmission shift solenoid error code (tranny goes into limp mode)
7) vinyl on driver door pull starting to crack
8) passenger cup holder broken

I guess if it wasn't for the rust, tranny issue, and lack of AWD, we'd be setting our sights on the 300k mark. I figure it's worth about $3k on a good day.
Old 05-11-17, 03:30 PM
L8RSk8R
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by reozone
Let's see if this thread has any more life in it. I posted here a year or two ago. My 01 now has 275k miles on it and I regret to say we are looking to upgrade to an LS460 AWD, 5 or so years old. The 01 still runs well, but is starting to have some issues. Nothing major ever went wrong and I always did my own maintenance. It's been a remarkable car, so much so that my wife refuses to consider any other make. For the benefit of other readers of this post, here are the current issues:
1) Rust on front doors along trim line (fixed the driver side years ago, but now the passenger side is going.
2) Other rust areas around rear wheel well, hood by grille, top of windshield, and wheels.

I guess if it wasn't for the rust, tranny issue, and lack of AWD, we'd be setting our sights on the 300k mark. I figure it's worth about $3k on a good day.

I accepted $5,500 for my 2006 Ultra on trade in, for a 2014 Equus. It had 365K miles.
I probably could have gotten a bit more had I sold it myself, but didn't want to hassle.
Old 05-11-17, 03:54 PM
L8RSk8R
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by reozone

I accepted $5,500 for my 2006 Ultra on trade in, for a 2014 Equus. It had 365K miles.
I probably could have gotten a bit more had I sold it myself, but didn't want the hassle.
Old 05-11-17, 09:50 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Mobius1
Im close to passing my first 10,000 miles since owning the vehicle since August 2016. And the love hasn't stopped at all! Currently at 75,000 miles. Bought when it was at 66,000 miles.

Last week I went home to see the parents as a surprise, so i had to take the LS. Was a 600 mile / 10 hour journey one way. Floated along through the Appalachians of Tennessee and flatlands of Indiana like a dream. No fuss at all and I was serene comfort all along.

The only issue is the 5 hours i took washing and waxing the car two weeks ago was completely un-done haha. Ah well, like other members here say; these things are meant to be drivin'.

PS: Dunno why people crap on the ML sound. For a 15 year old system i find it still very clear and non-fatiguing after 10 hours of straight listening. And even for a guy like me who likes to pump up the volume playing music-that-mainly-high-schoolers-listen-to, it's very very nice for a "stock" system.
Wasn't impressed w/ ML when I bought the car. Rebuilt subwoofer helped. Adjusting setting helped. The clarity is impressive. It really is pretty nice system for an older stock system.
Old 05-12-17, 05:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by L8RSk8R
I probably could have gotten a bit more had I sold it myself, but didn't want the hassle.
That is amazing to be able to get over 5 grand on a car with 365k (but that's a trade?), I woulda guessed $500 lol (my former friend traded in a 2007 Passat 4Motion (6 cyl that's probably why) for $900 and the car had 120k)

At this pace I'm doing over 18k per year, what a joke, part of me says I need to look at my commute. Already did over 9k since Oct, and now I'm over 90k....
Old 05-12-17, 08:45 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
That is amazing to be able to get over 5 grand on a car with 365k (but that's a trade?), I woulda guessed $500 lol (my former friend traded in a 2007 Passat 4Motion (6 cyl that's probably why) for $900 and the car had 120k).
exactly, its a trade. I'd bet the price on the Equus is inflated to cover the "high" take out value on the LS430. There's no free lunch. Put it another way, does anyone believe the dealer is going to sell that LS430 with 365k miles at $5500 plus profit?

Quick Reply: How many miles do YOU have on your LS430? (The Mother thread)