LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How many miles do YOU have on your LS430? (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-18, 09:52 AM
HeyItsN8
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just about to hit 195k on my '04. Bought it a few weeks ago and I love it. No problems except some of my wheels studs, but that's a cheap and easy fix . Gonna take off my 3 freaking cats... just to see how that 3uz sounds ahaha. 2004 engineering makes me laugh, love it though!
Old 06-04-18, 10:07 AM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyItsN8
I'm just about to hit 195k on my '04. Bought it a few weeks ago and I love it. No problems except some of my wheels studs, but that's a cheap and easy fix . Gonna take off my 3 freaking cats... just to see how that 3uz sounds ahaha. 2004 engineering makes me laugh, love it though!
Maybe I should buy one with over 200,000 miles,seems like these cars are really DURABLE and RELIABLE..
Old 06-04-18, 10:55 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by steelers6
Maybe I should buy one with over 200,000 miles,seems like these cars are really DURABLE and RELIABLE..
I do my part to promote the longevity of these cars. When my son's friends are looking for cars, I always bring up the venerable LS. Depending on the condition of the car, I would not hesitate to look at an LS with over 200K on the odometer.

Yes, it'll need a few things, but if someone is in need of wheels, and they can only spend 3-4,000 dollars on a car, it's hard to look past a high mileage LS430
Old 06-04-18, 11:06 AM
HeyItsN8
Driver School Candidate

If you are looking for a commuter then I'd look at a GS just because of gas prices. If you wanna build on the engine go with the LS400, the 1uz can handle more power. The LS430 is honestly the perfect mix of luxury and sport though. I say go for it though!
Old 06-04-18, 12:11 PM
NoahJ551
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

On my 3rd timing belt / water pump. (I've always done both at the same time) Perhaps, I've not needed the water pump, but better safe than sorry. Could be the difference between 375K and 220K miles. ALSO, The other thing I had to have done is have the starter replaced at 247K.

Everything else I've done myself.
On 2nd radiator (they just get old and crusty, plus with a 3rd water pump now operating at 100%, often the radiators just can't hang with it. - no biggie, you'll have that. (I have a crazy story about blowing a radiator, if anybody wants to hear- just ask me.
replace thermostats
Also, replaced the fan motor that turned the AC fan.
brakes/ rotors, obviously.
Every now and them the VSC will hit. I'll scan it and realize that the VVT-i Solenoid needs to be replaced, Bank 1 . Mine needs it now actually. Very easy.
Also, if the Check Engine pops, more than likely its the O2 Sensor. Pain to replace and my suggestion is NOT to pull the carpet/console inside, instead - get a new sensor and measure both the new and old and cut in the same spot, crimp new and old together, pull the old and replace with new. It's so much easier, and works the same.
I live in Louisville and actually work here at the Toyota Manufacturing Plant in Georgetown, KY were we make the Camry, Avalon and of course the Lexus ES. I'll knock out a daily 150 mile round trip at least 5-6 days / week. Cruise control @ 70/75mph and her V8 hardly labors.

I know this is terrible to say, but I've caught myself hoping something big breaks, so that I can get something newer. I know, I know.....I just messed up big time by typing that; but not to worry because it looks like Ellis (LS) is going to be with us for quite some time to come.
This car has flat out done everything I have ever asked of it AND without question has the most comfortable front seat I've ever sat in. The LS's Million-way seats are impossible to beat.

My wife has an LX 570 that has just now turned 100K. She's going to be really mad when that thing doesn't die until 500K Miles. She'll be in it for the next 30 years. haha

Last edited by NoahJ551; 06-05-18 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-04-18, 12:16 PM
NoahJ551
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HeyItsN8
Let me know what that sounds like and how you did it. (yourself or at the shop) ....I actually installed a cold air intake on my LS and it alone made a difference. Excited to hear what it sounds like!
Old 06-04-18, 12:18 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NoahJ551
On my 3rd timing belt / water pump. (I've always done both at the same time) Perhaps, I've not needed the water pump, but better safe than sorry. Could be the difference between 375K and 220K miles. ALSO, The other thing I had to have done is have the starter replaced at 247K.

Everything else I've done myself.
On 2nd radiator (they just get old and crusty, plus with a 3rd water pump now operating at 100%, often the radiators just can't hang with it. - no biggie, you'll have that. (I have a crazy story about blowing a radiator, if anybody wants to hear- just ask me.
replace thermostats
Also, replaced the fan motor that turned the AC fan.
brakes/ rotors, obviously.
Every now and them the VSC will hit. I'll scan it and realize that the VVT-i Solenoid needs to be replaced, Bank 1 . Mine needs it now actually. Very easy.
Also, if the Check Engine pops, more than likely its the O2 Sensor. Pain to replace and my suggestion is NOT to pull the carpet/console inside, instead - get a new sensor and measure both the new and old and cut in the same spot, crimp new and old together, pull the old and replace with new. It's so much easier, and works the same.
I live in Louisville and actually work here at the Toyota Manufacturing Plant in Georgetown, KY were we make the Camry, Avalon and of course the Lexus ES. I'll knock out a daily 150 mile round trip at least 5-6 days / week. Cruise control @ 70/75mph and her V8 hardly labors.

I know this is terrible to say, but I've caught myself hoping something big breaks, so that I can get something newer. I know, I know.....I just messed up big time by typing that; but not to worry because it looks like Ellis (LS) is going to be with us for quite some time to come.
This car has flat out done everything I have ever asked of it AND without question has the most comfortable front seat I've ever sat in. The LS's Million-way seats are impossible to beat.

My wife has an LX 570 that has just now turned 100K. She's going to be really mad when that thing doesn't die until 500K Miles. She'll be in it for the next 30 years. haha
Great information but which LS 98-2000 or LS430???
Old 06-04-18, 12:33 PM
NoahJ551
Driver School Candidate

Great information but which LS 98-2000 or LS430???
Sorry man, I never really clarified.
That's me in the 2001 LS430 with 375,000 miles.
Old 06-04-18, 01:42 PM
JJLS430
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

(I have a crazy story about blowing a radiator, if anybody wants to hear- just ask me.
I'll bite...what happened to the radiator? I visited the Georgetown plant and went on a tour in 1996...I still talk about how impressive of a facility that was to this day.

Jeff
Old 06-04-18, 02:05 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Sorry man, I never really clarified.
That's me in the 2001 LS430 with 375,000 miles.
Ok cool,what made you decide on the 01 instead of an 04,I appreciate all of this information,just trying to gather all I can...
Old 06-04-18, 03:38 PM
aufenscuht
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What brand CAI did you use, AEM?
Old 06-04-18, 05:22 PM
djs123
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How many miles on LS430

2006.....116,000 miles, pre-owned certified purchased in 2010.
Have done all the regular maintenance. Replace oil every 5,000 miles.
Had to replace the alternator in 2014, that was it!

Love the car. Expect it to go to 200,000 miles
Old 06-05-18, 08:52 AM
HeyItsN8
Driver School Candidate

Let me know what that sounds like and how you did it. (yourself or at the shop) ....I actually installed a cold air intake on my LS and it alone made a difference. Excited to hear what it sounds like!
Definitely, as of right now there are 2 resonators and 3 cats, no mufflers. It sounds really good. Back fire is audible too haha. I checked under my LS to see how hard itd be to remove the cats and saw a ton of power steering fluid on my oil and atf pan. Itll be cheap to fix though. I did notice that taking off the big cat, where both exhausts meet, would be fairly simple. Rust is the hardest part.. With the mufflers my buddy got tow straps around the mufflers and pulled it with his S4 lmao that was a good laugh.
The following users liked this post:
NoahJ551 (06-05-18)
Old 06-05-18, 09:35 AM
NoahJ551
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JJLS430
I'll bite...what happened to the radiator? I visited the Georgetown plant and went on a tour in 1996...I still talk about how impressive of a facility that was to this day.

Jeff
Okay, Spring Break 2015 heading back to Louisville from Destin, FL., and I’ve got the family loaded up and we are rolling north. For some reason, I think it’s a clever idea and decide to give the land-speed record from Destin to Louisville a shot. I-65 northbound rolling 85mph, car fully loaded with way more than we took, the cabin suddenly got hot. There goes the AC. Immediately, I glance up at the temp gauge- alright, we’re still good for now. 90 seconds later, the smell. My heart skipped a beat as the unmissable smell of antifreeze penetrated the car. Check gauge; “it’s rising,” I thought to myself. Stay calm, don’t alarm everyone just yet. It’s funny, the deals a person will make with the Lord when they are about to be in trouble. This is where I am right now; making a deal with God. His answer; well, it shot all over the windshield in form of hot liquid and white steam. No hiding it now. So, 2.5 hours into the trip, somewhere near Hope Hull, AL. on a Saturday afternoon, the radiator explodes.

The next few minutes went buy quick. I’ve done this drill before in about every German car I have ever owned. 1)Turn off AC. 2)Turn temp in car up to HOT 3)Turn fan on full blast – The car is overheating and this allows all the hot air trapped in the engine cabin to get out, allowing cooler air to get in. This will not help very long, but if all you need is 2 or 3 extra miles…. then it could be the difference between making it and a blowing a head gasket. – We make the exit, hit the gas station, pop the hood and evaluate. 2” crack on the top of the radiator. 471 miles from the house. What to do? Hotel room and wait till Monday just to talk to a shop about ordering a radiator? U-Haul- rent a truck and car dolly for a one way trip, load it up and head home? AAA won’t tow this far, without a hefty fee and what about the rest of the family; where would they sit in a tow truck? I bought two gallons of water, and poured into radiator tank to see what happens. It was holding, but I knew it wouldn’t be for long. The gas station attendant told me there was a Flying J truck stop a few miles away just south of Hyundai Motor Alabama. We decide to go for it and surprising just made it as the temp went up and steam starts to roll.

Pulling in, I parked on the side and popped the hood. There was some sort of charity event going on which included several police officers, including the county sheriff. I walked up and he asked if everything was okay. I told him about the radiator. His suggestion blew me away. PEPPER. Put some pepper in it. Together, we walked in, past the regular gas station part back to the truck station part. The sheriff stopped and asked this older black man, “what would you do it your radiator's cracked?” Without hesitation the old black man said, “Put some Peppa in it.” I about lost it. Quickly google (pepper+radiator) lo and behold, all kinds of articles.

I grabbed some pepper, along with some Castrol radiator stop leak, and a JB Weld rolled tube putty for the outside. My concoction of the previously mentioned seemed to hold steady for several minutes at the station. We decide to go for it. Shaking both the older black man’s hand and the sheriff, one of the deputies gave my two-year old daughter a stuffed animal they wished us luck, I thanked them all and we hit the road. (Shout Out to the Hope Hull Sheriffs Dept.) Clanton, AL.: Travelling at 55mph we made it about 30/35 miles down the road, pulled over and because of the slow leak we refilled the radiator tank with the two gallons water bottles purchased earlier. Cullman, AL.: We repeated the process. Columbia, TN., just south of Nashville, once again repeated the process, we waited much longer this time, grabbed food and I kneaded up more JB Weld putty and reapplied. At 9pm we hit the road again.

Watching the temp gauge, I hope to make it just past Nashville before it goes up and we are forced to pull over. The gauge is steady. Nashville, TN. Gauge is steady. Bowling Green, KY- Steady. Elizabethtown, KY Steady! We are making it. – still at 55mph, but progress nonetheless. Finally, Louisville, KY!! We made 470+ miles with a busted radiator and pepper!

In the next few days, I pulled and replaced the system, making sure to flush thoroughly to get out all the pepper. That radiator was the only thing damaged. Head gasket was fine.
This car has gone above and beyond everything I have asked from her. Truly the best car I have ever owned. Having spent time at Ford Motors Chicago Assembly, LAP, and KTP, I left there to drive from Louisville to Georgetown (a 150 miles round trip) 6-7 days a week.

Toyota makes a truly superior product to all manufactures when it comes to producing a long lasting vehicle. Bottom Line.
The following 3 users liked this post by NoahJ551:
BCT (06-18-18), JJLS430 (06-05-18), potaijee (02-22-19)
Old 06-05-18, 09:38 AM
NoahJ551
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aufenscuht
What brand CAI did you use, AEM?
I purchased an Injen ... Short Ram reasonably priced.
Google Image it. I don't have a pic handy. --- It'll get dirty- pop it off, toss in the dishwasher when the wife is gone. No issues at all. Sounds pretty cool too, when your stepping into it as well.

Quick Reply: How many miles do YOU have on your LS430? (The Mother thread)