LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How many miles do YOU have on your LS430? (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-18, 04:39 AM
IowaVol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toddmorr
wow, i'm really surprised they gave you that much for it actually. Unless they inflated the price of car they sold you to cover it, which is pretty common tactic. If not, like i said I'm surprised. An LS430 with that many miles is going to have a very narrow market....we know they're solid cars but outside of a Lexus enthusiast not many do
I sold it outright to his dealer in a small town. This car was an anomaly on his lot. He put $4,995 on the window of the car on Friday and had a buyer for it on Wednesday. The funny thing is, he called me and put me on speaker and I sold the car for him! You are exactly right with the narrow market of buyers...that’s why I went this route.
Old 08-08-18, 06:41 PM
designdude
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

2005 LS430 ultra pkg, just had the 60K service. Service done by Elite Service Center, on Miramar Rd here in San Diego. (I highly recommend, BTW). Actual miles, 60, 671. or something like that.

Flint Mica, with beige interior. OEM mudflaps.

P.S. this is my 2nd LS430. I sold the first one after 100K miles. I'll probably keep this one longer than that.

another glorious day in paradise
Old 08-09-18, 03:35 PM
stuartacoh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 LS430 with 228K miles

I bought my LS430 in 2007. It had just come off lease and had 45k on it. Now has 228k with no major problems. Just put my 2nd timing belt on it last year. This is absolutely the best car I have owned. Now retired and only put 10k miles a year on it. I follow recommended maintenance schedules. I found a great Toyota dealer (Andy Mohr Toyota) that does all maintenance for past 10 years (with great pricing for all services).........This may be the last car I ever own. . .
I just hope I have not jinxed myself by posting this
The following users liked this post:
INLS430 (08-14-18)
Old 08-10-18, 08:06 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Nice find on that Ultra Designdude... very nice.
Wish I could find the same.

Welcome to the club Sturaracoh! Congrats on your purchase and the longevity of your ride. Sounds like you got a great car that has treated you well.
Old 08-13-18, 03:58 PM
JJLS430
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Update

Originally Posted by JJLS430
I have a 2006 LS430 Modern Luxury (Crystal White over Ivory) with 143,000 miles. It was purchased used about a month ago and is currently in service getting a fuel pressure damper replaced due to a strong fuel odor from inside the cabin and a reseal on the lower oil pan. Absolutely love the car; it is our second LS, the previous car was a 1991 LS400 which was sold a few years back with 255,000 miles, which were trouble free for the 125k+ miles that we owned it.
175,000 as of 8/13/2018...looking forward to the next 175,000 miles.

Jeff
Old 08-14-18, 06:01 AM
stevedra
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Finally hit 200K on the 2001 this morning.. Runs like it has 20K on it...
Pictures or it didn't happen!
Milestones on both your LS's, congrats!
I'm looking to pick up a 2nd LS myself to have as a "beater" (if there is such a thing with an LS)...but having emotional issues buying one that I'd "neglect" and not care for like my 1st born,(just turned 14 this month) hehe.
I looked at a 2004 with 188k on it this weekend...test drove it and was blown away at how smooth it was. They wanted too much and it had too many issues that made it a no-deal for me (spare missing was the kicker), but nice to see even a higher mileage LS that had been neglected still drove as nice as my pampered one.
Also in the market for a new home, and I'm thinking a 3-4 car garage is going to be a requirement. (can't fathom the thought of leaving any of my Lexi out in the elements)
Old 08-14-18, 06:29 AM
Brian05LS
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

143,453 miles to date! On my 05.
Old 08-14-18, 02:59 PM
Lexeffect
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2002 Lexus LS430 Platinum Blue with Ecru leather interior. She rests with 47,130 miles on the clock.
Old 08-15-18, 10:48 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

LOL... seems like she rests a lot there, Lexeffect!
Congrats on the low mileage keeper.
Old 08-16-18, 05:56 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by stevedra
Pictures or it didn't happen!
Milestones on both your LS's, congrats!
I'm looking to pick up a 2nd LS myself to have as a "beater" (if there is such a thing with an LS)...but having emotional issues buying one that I'd "neglect" and not care for like my 1st born,(just turned 14 this month) hehe.
I looked at a 2004 with 188k on it this weekend...test drove it and was blown away at how smooth it was. They wanted too much and it had too many issues that made it a no-deal for me (spare missing was the kicker), but nice to see even a higher mileage LS that had been neglected still drove as nice as my pampered one.
Also in the market for a new home, and I'm thinking a 3-4 car garage is going to be a requirement. (can't fathom the thought of leaving any of my Lexi out in the elements)
Yeah, you really can't go wrong with multiple LS's. My 2005 gets driven very seldom, so I don't see the mileage climbing too quickly on that car.

As long as the car has been maintained, even 188K isn't horrible for the right price..
Old 08-16-18, 06:15 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Everytime I come back to the thread my mileage is climbing...108k now. Probably time for plugs next spring, but I have seen how easy since I took the engine cover(s) off to wipe that grime...
Old 08-17-18, 09:13 PM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ebxgsxr
hey newbie here. my wife has been driving the car & it currently has just under 91k. we got it at the middle of october with around 88k.
wow, 88k when we got the car. well, now i got it as a "hand me down" since my wife got a GL450. just under 197,300 miles.
Old 08-20-18, 07:14 PM
Nphoops
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

UPDATE: my baby just flipped 245,000 over the weekend! It’s my daily driver and the reliability is phenomenal.

Purchased my 2003 base in 2014 with 119,000. Timing belt had just been done, everything was perfect. I had the timing belt replaced at 225,000, been through brakes, and a couple of sets of tires. Sadly, the Wisconsin winters have not been kind. Rust growing on driver’s side rear wheel well, and passenger rear door. Interior is still great. All power options are in working order.

I need to replace knock sensors, a new radiator is in the near future and I’ll need new tires before winter. My goal is 300,000 but the body will be rough by then. I’ve been searching for a reasonable replacement, although RWD is not optimal in the snow. LS430 is just an incredible machine.
Old 09-06-18, 07:19 AM
zapola6
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought 2012 123,000
4.22.16 220,000
11.9.16 230,000 Posted in thread
8.15.17 240,000 " "
9.06.18 250,000 " "
Ran 85 Octane in Colorado for the past 5 plus years, Now running 87 Octane in New York. Mobil 1 Oil Changes every 5,000 miles rather it needs it or not...

Hit 250,000 this morning, 2001 base, purchased in 2012 with 123,000. The commute has dropped from 85 miles per day down to 40 miles or so per day, also have moved from Colorado to New York in the past 10,000 miles. For the past 127,000 miles, the car has been incredibly trouble free.

The only things that I can think of that have failed since I have had the car are: serpentine belt idler, replaced with the timing belt at 190,000, 1 coil pack, OCV valve, lower control arm bushings, and wheel bearing hub. Valve covers started leaking about 50,000 miles ago, bolts had loosened up and were finger tight, torqued them back down and not a drop of oil since.

These 10,000 miles - Replaced: battery, spark plugs, brakes, 4-wheel bearings hubs, hood struts.

Replaced the spark plugs, there were a couple that I had doubts of getting out, sprayed WD-40 in the hole and let them soak, made a huge difference in getting out.

Replaced the brakes all the way around, I had 90,000 miles on Duralast, I won’t do that again. I installed the Powerstop Slotted Rotor Kit, good price, have not rusted and they stop great, my only complaint is that you can feel them,and they are a bit noisy. Knowing what I know now, probably won’t put slotted rotors on where I have higher expectations. I have them on my Excursion, there were no expectations for quite there. I didn’t go OEM, just could not see spending OEM money on a car pushing 250,000 miles, just me…

Replaced all 4-wheel bearings, I had a vibration at highway speeds, it was the right rear going bad after 240,000 miles. Figured if one hub was going bad and I was doing brakes I would just replace them all. The other 3-wheel bearing hubs were also showing signs of wear. I would have to say on a high mileage car, if you can, just replace them all when your first one goes bad. It
absolutely made the ride better than I think the 1-wheel bearing that I could feel where the vibration was coming from, if that makes sense. Wheel bearing hubs are a DYI job, front wheel bearing are simple, if you can do brakes you can do the front wheel bearings, rear were a little more entertaining to do. There are good write ups in here on doing them, follow the write ups and once again if you can do the brakes, it not that much more difficult to do the rear wheel bearings, you do need the free loaner puller from the parts store Hood

Hood Struts were $20 special off Amazon.

Still running Continental tires, I think I have 25,000 on them. New York does not have Discount Tires, so the balancing and rotating hasn’t happened in the past 10,000 miles, going to at least rotate them this weekend. I’m probably would buy them again, they are wearing better than the Michelins. I think a little bit nosier than the last 3 sets of Michelins. I do think the Continental’s are a great choice.

Body wise - The 2001 is starting if not past the point of looking dated for my preference, that’s nothing against the car that’s just me. It still looks great at a distance and people still can’t believe it’s a 2001. The front end looks like it has 250,000 miles on it, a lot of hi-way dings. Door rust on the passenger door above the molding is starting to get worse, paint has come off and a pin hole through the skin of the door, silver dollar pancake size rust showing. (" Yes Lexus, if you are watching: Rust Through!") Getting a little bit of clear coat peel on the trunk, silver dollar pancake size.

I’m on my 3rd replacement windshield, Colorado they should just give them to you cracked when you buy the car. Each replacement has been a PPG I think. It’s only been in for 30,000 miles since being installed, horribly pitted already. Anybody still have the original windshield with high mileage, just curious how the OEM holds up with as many windshield conversations that have been in here?

So, I am looking for my 13 or 14 LS460 (maybe 15 if I can talk the wife into it) I had one in my sites this past weekend, passed on it for a couple of reasons. One reason for passing, this car is still riding and running just as good as the day I bought it 127,000 miles ago. It’s going to be hard to see it go, thinking about giving to my 18-year-old niece just to keep it in the family, it would be a great car for her.
I could very easily see this car on the road for another 100,000 miles.

I will either be back in another 10,000 miles or saying good bye because I found my 460, we will see,

Steve

Last edited by zapola6; 09-06-18 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-06-18, 07:52 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by zapola6

Bought 2012 123,000
4.22.16 220,000
11.9.16 230,000 Posted in thread
8.15.17 240,000 " "
9.06.18 250,000 " "

Hit 250,000 this morning, 2001 base, purchased in 2012 with 123,000. The commute has dropped from 85 miles per day down to 40 miles or so per day, also have moved from Colorado to New York in the past 10,000 miles. For the past 127,000 miles, the car has been incredible trouble free.

The only things that I can think of that have failed since I have had the car are: serpentine belt idler, replaced with the timing belt at 190,000, 1 coil pack, OCV valve, lower control bushings, and wheel bearing hub.

These 10,000 miles - Replaced: battery, spark plugs, brakes, 4-wheel bearings hubs, hood struts.

Replaced the spark plus, there were a couple that I had doubts of getting out, sprayed WD-40 in the hole and let them soak, made a huge difference in getting out.

Replaced the brakes all the way around, I had 90,000 miles on Duralast, I won’t do that again. I installed the Powerstop Slotted Rotor Kit, good price, have not rusted and they stop great, my only complaint is that you can feel them, and they are a bit noisy. Knowing what I know now, probably won’t put slotted rotors on where I have higher expectations. I have them on my Excursion, there were no expectations for quite there. I didn’t go OEM, just could not see spending OEM money on a car pushing 250,000 miles, just me…

Replaced all 4-wheel bearings, I had a vibration at highway speeds, it was the right rear going bad after 240,000 miles. Figured if one hub was going bad and I was doing brakes I would just replace them all. The other 3-wheel bearing hubs were also showing signs of wear. I would have to say on a high mileage car, if you can, just replace them all when your first one goes bad. It
absolutely made the ride better than I think the 1-wheel bearing that I could feel where the vibration was coming from, if that makes sense. Wheel bearing hubs are a DYI job, front wheel bearing are simple, if you can do brakes you can do the front wheel bearings, rear were a little more entertaining to do. There are good write up in here on doing them, follow the write ups and once again if you can do the brakes, it not that much more difficult to do the rear wheel bearings, you do need the free loaner puller from the parts store Hood

Hood Struts were $20 special off Amazon.

Still running Continental tires, I think I have 25,000 on them. New York does not have Discount Tires, so the balancing and rotating hasn’t happened in the past 10,000 miles, going to at least rotate them this weekend. I’m probably would buy them again, they are wearing better than the Michelins. I think a little bit nosier than the last 3 sets of Michelins. I do think the Continental’s are a great choice.

Body wise - The 2001 is starting if not past the point of looking dated for my preference, that’s nothing against the car that’s just me. It still looks great at a distance and people still can’t believe it’s a 2001. The front end looks like it has 250,000 miles on it, a lot of hi-way dings. Door rust on the passenger door above the molding is starting to get worse, paint has come off and a pin hole through the skin of the door, silver dollar pancake size rust showing. Getting a little bit of clear coat peel on the truck, silver dollar pancake size.

I’m on my 3rd replacement windshield, Colorado they should just give them to you cracked when you buy the car. Each replacement has been a PPG I think. It’s only been in for 30,000 miles since being installed, horribly pitted already. Anybody still have the original windshield with high mileage, just curious how the OEM holds up with as many windshield conversations that have been in here?

So, I am looking from my 13 or 14 LS460, had one in my sites this past weekend, I passed, for a couple of reasons. One of the reasons for passing, this car is still riding and running just as good as the day I bought it 127,000 miles ago. It’s going to be hard to see it go, thinking about giving to my 18-year-old niece just to keep in in the family, it would be a great car for her. We will see.

I will either be back in another 10,000 miles or saying good bye because I found my 460, we will see.
Great write up, Zapola.
FWIW, I'm at 204K and on the original windshield. It has it's share of road rash, but it's still in decent shape. For the last 3 years, I've been doing a 150+ mile commute each day and the front end is starting to show it. Yes, definitely a lot of Hi-Way dings on the nose as well. No rust really to speak of. Some on the suspension, but the body still looks decent.
I just did both front wheel hubs last week as I had noise coming from the right side.

Quick Reply: How many miles do YOU have on your LS430? (The Mother thread)