LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Non-Nav 04 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-07, 09:03 PM
njmurvin
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Non-Nav 04 LS430

Here in SoCal, the prices seem to be higher than some of you are stating. That said, I notice that non-Nav models are WAY LESS than those with Nav - must be a softer market for those (we're talking ~$7k less). What else do I lose without Nav (besides the obvious camera and bluetooth)? Is the non-ML sound decent?

For those without factory Nav and ML, is there a preferred aftermarket model that works well with these cars?
Old 02-12-07, 05:10 PM
njmurvin
Driver

OK, no responses. How about this bump with a more specific question . . .

What size is the base model (non-Nav) radio unit? Din, double din, neither? Can I drop in a Pioneer AVIC (if so, which model)? I can't believe no one else has asked this - although I couldn't really find anything on my search.
Old 02-13-07, 09:56 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I live in Hawaii and Lexus has not mapped us for GPS. Therefore I have an 04 Ultra fully loaded sans NAV so I'd have to say if you want to be patient look for one like mine. The ML system sounds fantastic and quite frankly it's really costly to custom mount a new head unit and in my opinion not really clean unless you go all out and glass one in.
Old 02-13-07, 11:49 AM
njmurvin
Driver

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
I live in Hawaii and Lexus has not mapped us for GPS. Therefore I have an 04 Ultra fully loaded sans NAV so I'd have to say if you want to be patient look for one like mine. The ML system sounds fantastic and quite frankly it's really costly to custom mount a new head unit and in my opinion not really clean unless you go all out and glass one in.
Thanks for the response. That would be an interesting combo (UL sans NAV). Around here, all I seem to see are ML with NAV and base model with park assist. I have a feeling there were a lot corporate leases with base models and they're starting to trickle into the used car dealers (probably from auctions). There is a pretty huge swing in price between a base and the ML/NAV (several thousand). I could easily get by with the Garmin Nuvi for bluetooth and NAV. But, is there a way to upgrade the base (non-ML) audio without tearing out the head unit?
Old 02-13-07, 01:09 PM
donpasscal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by njmurvin
Here in SoCal, the prices seem to be higher than some of you are stating. That said, I notice that non-Nav models are WAY LESS than those with Nav - must be a softer market for those (we're talking ~$7k less). What else do I lose without Nav (besides the obvious camera and bluetooth)? Is the non-ML sound decent?

For those without factory Nav and ML, is there a preferred aftermarket model that works well with these cars?
I have an 01' non/ml/nav. Its a joy driving this car.

Nobody in this forum can tell you what options to get or not get, that has to be your decision. Test drive as many models as you can, you will find your car, trust me. If you are buying a used car look for one that you really like and is within your budget. You cannot go wrong with a LEXUS.

You can spend 1/2 of 7k to install an after market nav/audio system that will come with all the bell and whistles.

Generally looked for one that has been well maintained mechanically and structurally. Good luck hunting.

My two cents.
Old 02-13-07, 07:23 PM
craigtaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by njmurvin
Here in SoCal, the prices seem to be higher than some of you are stating.
Check the auto trader....Lexus dealers are WAY over-priced. I found an '04 UL in the trader at a used car lot in Westminster two weeks ago for $33.9. I couldn't get down there that day, and as luck would have it, it was sold the very next day.

I picked up an '04 Sport last that was listed in the trader by private party. I ended up getting it for $31.5. I'm disappointed in the firmness of the ride, so I wished I would have held out for another UL, but the price was right so I couldn't resist.

Hang in there and be patient, you'll find one. I found two in two weeks.
Old 02-14-07, 11:41 AM
njmurvin
Driver

Originally Posted by donpasscal
Test drive as many models as you can, you will find your car, trust me. If you are buying a used car look for one that you really like and is within your budget. You cannot go wrong with a LEXUS.

You can spend 1/2 of 7k to install an after market nav/audio system that will come with all the bell and whistles.

Generally looked for one that has been well maintained mechanically and structurally. Good luck hunting.
Good advice! Thanks.
Old 02-14-07, 11:44 AM
njmurvin
Driver

Originally Posted by craigtaz
Check the auto trader....Lexus dealers are WAY over-priced. I found an '04 UL in the trader at a used car lot in Westminster two weeks ago for $33.9. I couldn't get down there that day, and as luck would have it, it was sold the very next day.

I picked up an '04 Sport last that was listed in the trader by private party. I ended up getting it for $31.5. I'm disappointed in the firmness of the ride, so I wished I would have held out for another UL, but the price was right so I couldn't resist.

Hang in there and be patient, you'll find one. I found two in two weeks.
Although CPO would be nice, as you point out, the price is simply too high from the dealer. I have been focusing on cars.com, autotrader and craigslist. Cars in the price range you mention are either base models or have high miles. I'd like to find one that has at least a year left on the factory warranty. Do you know if the powertrain warranty (6yr/70k) is transferrable?