LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Rear Break Job at dealer 800 bucks

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-07, 12:01 PM
jeostang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Break Job at dealer 800 bucks

There is a bit of rust on the rotors, they want to change the caliper pins and the pads have 15% left. I don't most of my own brake jobs, is it any different on a lexus? Should I use OEM parts?

Thanks
Old 02-16-07, 12:57 PM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pad replacements are easy.... buy the parts and DIY..will save you close to 600.00 if you do it yourself.
Old 02-16-07, 01:00 PM
BOOSTBOY93
Rookie

-1 for STEALERSHIPS

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 02-18-07 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-16-07, 01:05 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by jeostang
There is a bit of rust on the rotors, they want to change the caliper pins and the pads have 15% left. I don't most of my own brake jobs, is it any different on a lexus? Should I use OEM parts?

Thanks
I would hope they throw in a brake fluid flush and a machining of the rotors, but even then 800 bucks is throwing money out the window.
Old 02-18-07, 10:43 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I did both front and rears for six bills @ the dealer.
Old 02-19-07, 08:57 AM
Moogy
Pole Position

The experienced members here should band together and create a website that outlines the DIY cost/time, Dealther cost/time and what the dealer CHARGES cost/time chart for all of the "little things" that the dealerships screw us over on... May bring things into perspective...

I have to admit, I've never heard of so many excessive charges in my life until I got my Lexus.

I NEVER had problems like this with my Z06 or C6 at the local Chevy dealer - granted it's a GM (yes, I know the quality doesn't compare) but they didn't charge me $120/hr for labor (it was ~$70/hr if I recall) plus I'd trust the guy who always worked on my Z06 more than any Lexus tech I've met... They would also give me the hard details on what was necessary, the core costs of parts, etc.

My dealership wanted~$900 to change out the front and rear pads when they were ~ 4mm (vs 10mm max).

The other sad part is I can't seem to get any viable facts out of the Lexus guys. They say "oh you're at 4mm you need to replace your brake pads!" and I ask "what's the starting mm?" and they tell me "10". So I'm at 40%... why on earth do I need to change them out now? they say "oh because it's already worn down to the sensors."

Uhh, that makes no sense to me - can somebody explain when the pads of a 2004 LS430 should be changed? 2mm?

Last edited by Moogy; 02-19-07 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-19-07, 10:56 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jeostang

Thanks
sounds like u need new rotors from what it sounds like

if u get aftermarket...90% chance of ur car squeeking
Old 03-01-07, 02:57 AM
Frank T
Rookie

I paid about $70 a set for OEM Lexus pads form one of the sponsers here. (Thy are on my spares shelf) If you are just changing pads thats really all you need. If you are turning rotors you also need to change the caliper bolts, and they are something like $5 a piece.

I'd ask for a breakdown on the costs. I recently had my "stealer" call and try to sell me a brake job. Later on a test drive with the tech who was working on my LS we got to talking about pad life. He admitted he thought Lexus was changing a lot of pads WAY to early. He said if it were his car he'd pull the brake sensors out of the pads, tape them up out of the way and if I did that I could probably get another 20,000 miles out of the pads. I'm doing just that.

New pads are 10mm thick and are tapered over the first 50% of thickness. The pad size continues to increase till you get to about 5mm, then is constant. 5mm btw is about where the "stealers" start trying to sell us a brake job. You will start to wear into the brake sensers at about 3mm and they will come on and be junk at about 2mm. There are two sensers (about $80 each) and they are both on the right side of the car.

I always measure my pads when I change from summer to winter tires and back and can easly track pad wear. At 43,000 miles I still have 4mm of my original pads left, and all 4 are just about exactly the same. My brake sensers are now out of the pads and taped up out of the way. I'll probably run the pads down to 2mm and then change them.

Frank
Old 03-01-07, 08:57 AM
Moogy
Pole Position

I have 47K on my car and probably 3-4mm left. People keep talking about the "sensors" but I have yet to see any messages in the car - what are the sensors for and when do they "go off"?

It's been well over a decade since I did any car work myself, but I'm aiming to do the brakes myself. From what I heard it's not very difficult - correct?
Old 03-02-07, 05:49 PM
wishihad1
Rookie

the sensors are only on the right side of your inner brake pads. when your brakes wear down, the sensors themselves begin to wear. once they wear through the light on the dash turns on. However you must then change the sensor, which costs more than a new set off pads. With regular service you should be able to guage your brake wear fairly accurately.
Old 03-03-07, 08:33 AM
Moogy
Pole Position

Unhappy

Originally Posted by wishihad1
the sensors are only on the right side of your inner brake pads. when your brakes wear down, the sensors themselves begin to wear. once they wear through the light on the dash turns on. However you must then change the sensor, which costs more than a new set off pads. With regular service you should be able to guage your brake wear fairly accurately.
When you're told by the system you need to replace the brakes, you must replace the sensor system, which is also extra $, so one needs to keep track of the brakes before the sensor goes off?

Wow, from a mechanical perspective that's the dumbest thing I've heard.

Hats off to Lexus for designing a crappy sensor system that is self-defeating...

They should have installed infrared sensors or something