LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

suspension on 2004 ultra

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-07, 10:20 PM
tomsls
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension on 2004 ultra

I have an 2004 Ultra and I can not tell the difference between driving on sport suspension or regular nor have I noticed a difference on high or normal height suspension. I keep flipping the switches back and forth but honestly can not tell a difference. Why was all this a $12k option when new when a normal driver can't tell a difference. I am just looking for the quietest and softest ride. It still seems a bit rough to me driving over the expansion gaps and bumps on our crappy So Cal roads. My tires are 17 inch Bridgestone Turanza'a which from what from I read are some pretty good tires. Do the after market suspension controllers make the ride better or just pimp my ride by making it ride lower with a same or even worse ride.
Old 02-24-07, 02:15 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

First of all, 12k was for the entire package, not just air suspension, just happens that AS was available on that package in addition to the other exclusive goodies.

Now, there is a huge difference between the two settings, and i find them to be extremely obvious. Sport mode usually lowers the car on the highway, and you can feel heavier steering feel, and the road more then usual. HI mode raises the car slightly, and you can see/feel the car raising.

So I guess your either not paying attention, or you were under the impression that it was going to turn the LS into a Lotus Elise or something.

Also, aftermarket controller give you the ability to lower the car more then specified by the factory, where the ride will only degrade, especially if your not happy with it already. But may I ask what your comparing the ride too? I feel like I'm floating on clouds when i drive the LS.
Old 02-25-07, 12:21 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 356 Likes on 207 Posts

I don't think the sport button lowers your car, but I can confirm it makes the car handle radically different.

Perhaps your threshold of detection is off. I can tell whenever my sisters X5's tire pressures are off even a few PSI.

The joys of being young
Old 02-25-07, 02:04 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vraa
I don't think the sport button lowers your car, but I can confirm it makes the car handle radically different.
Believe me... at highway speeds, it does. I had nothing to do but play with the suspension the whole way down to miami, and back a couple of weeka go.
Old 02-25-07, 07:28 AM
Nelson
Driver School Candidate

To experience the difference in sport mode find a stretch of road with a series of S turns. Drive it once with sport off and then again with sport mode on. If you can't tell a distinct difference then perhaps your air suspension is not working.
Old 02-25-07, 07:42 AM
TurboTodd
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

2001 LS UL here, first day out played with the suspension. Noticed the car rise and settle with the height setting button. With the sport setting, I noticed increased expansion joint noise and road feel, and the greatest difference was seen on cloverleafs. On normal, the car would pitch and wallow a bit. With sport mode, the car didn't pitch as much entering the corner, and the steering was more precise.

Find a cloverleaf and you'll find the difference.
Old 02-26-07, 11:53 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

'04 LS here. You might want to measure the low setting when parked, start driving around, hit the high button and proceed to go a few blocks then remeasure. I find that the car raises more efficiently when in motion. In either case you will notice a huge difference. With the high setting I can stuff my closed fist in the well!
Old 02-28-07, 06:00 AM
vcheng
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tomsls
I have an 2004 Ultra and I can not tell the difference between driving on sport suspension or regular nor have I noticed a difference on high or normal height suspension. I keep flipping the switches back and forth but honestly can not tell a difference. Why was all this a $12k option when new when a normal driver can't tell a difference. I am just looking for the quietest and softest ride. It still seems a bit rough to me driving over the expansion gaps and bumps on our crappy So Cal roads. My tires are 17 inch Bridgestone Turanza'a which from what from I read are some pretty good tires. Do the after market suspension controllers make the ride better or just pimp my ride by making it ride lower with a same or even worse ride.
Have the car hook up to a Lexus Diagnostic scanner and check the readouts for the height control sensors. If one or more are out or erratic, the suspension control can display the symptoms you are experiencing.

If these check out, then go for a ride with the tech and the scanner in the car, and have him/her check the readouts as you change settings.

You should have your answer by then. If everything checks out, have your butt dynamometer recalibrated (just kidding!)

Last edited by vcheng; 02-28-07 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-21-07, 09:05 PM
tomsls
Driver School Candidate

Default Almost like new

I new my butt dynamomet was working right. I just took my car to the dealer for it's 40k service I they discovered that both rear shocks were leaking. Replaced under warranty. The ride is now much better and stable. I still have a shimmy going over all the little potholes on the San diego highways but at least now I can tell the difference between sport and normal suspension.
They also replaced by back-up camera under warranty as well. I was only getting a picture half of the time. Now I can see the toys as I back over them