LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Just bought 2004.....Smart key issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-07, 08:10 PM
Zizzer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Just bought 2004.....Smart key issues

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I just bought a 2004 LS430 with the Sport/Nav package 2 days ago and am having some problems with the smart key function....

First, I figured out that the smart key function was turned off, so I used the button under the dash to enable it. The smart key light on the dash now blinks the little green light to show its scanning/checking for the presence of the key.

However, none of the smart key functions seem to work....none of the lights come on when I approach the car, I cannot get the door to unlock by approaching it and grabbing the handle as descibed in the book, I cannot start the car by pushing the center button in the ignition switch and then turning the ignition over without the key being inserted.

I have no idea why none of this is working, any ideas??

Also, the trunk release button on the remotes do not work either, I checked the key lock for the trunk inside the cabin (by the trunk and fuel door release) and it is unlocked, but the buttons still seem to do nothing. I have to manually unlock the trunk outside with the key, or unlock the vehicle and use the release button.

Thanks for any input,

Mike

And of course, here is a pic of my new baby

Last edited by Zizzer; 03-10-07 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Added picture
Old 03-09-07, 08:13 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Welcome Mike.

Are you trying these things with multiple keys? Just want to make sure you aren't only trying the valet key which would be normal operation for some of the items you listed.

Does the remote have a little white car with open trunk under the chrome strip towards the bottom? If not, that's the valet key.

Just trying to eliminate the obvious.
Old 03-09-07, 09:24 PM
Zizzer
Driver School Candidate

Question

I'm embarrassed to say so, but I was indeed trying to use the valet key....

So now with a regular keyfob the interior lights up and the door unlocks; as well I can start the car without using the key. however, the trunk still does not open with the button on any of the keyfobs, any ideas?

Also, a minor quibble but...the puddle lights do not illuminate when I approach the car, how may I enable this feature. The mirrors fold in when I shut the car off, does the disable the puddle lights, or is it unrelated?

Thanks!
Old 03-10-07, 01:26 PM
ffitzgerald
Driver School Candidate

The 2004 LS 430 Smart Key is very hard on fob batteries. Mine lasts about a year in daily use before needing replacement. When it is going out some of the functions don't operate or I get a Key not detected message. Check your battery. ($13.00 US at the dealer)
Old 03-10-07, 02:19 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Zizzer
I'm embarrassed to say so, but I was indeed trying to use the valet key....

So now with a regular keyfob the interior lights up and the door unlocks; as well I can start the car without using the key. however, the trunk still does not open with the button on any of the keyfobs, any ideas?

Also, a minor quibble but...the puddle lights do not illuminate when I approach the car, how may I enable this feature. The mirrors fold in when I shut the car off, does the disable the puddle lights, or is it unrelated?

Thanks!

No worries, I did the same thing with my 2005 Ultra at the dealership when I was testing it out. The salesperson didn't know the difference either.

With the regular key, the puddle lights on mine DO light up when you approach the car with the mirrors folded. I'd check the batteries as recommended above.

Congrats on your new car, looks great!
Old 03-10-07, 03:15 PM
Zizzer
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Cool, thanks for the help guys. I am going to try replacing the batteries in the key fobs as I imagine they probably have not been changed since the car was new. Hopefully that will get it all back up and running, I'll let you know.

Thanks again!
Old 03-10-07, 09:02 PM
Zizzer
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Perfect!!

Everything seems to be A-Okay now! Changing the battery fixed the trunk-pop problem, and the only reason the puddle lights weren't coming on is because apparently it was not dark enough outside to warrant them. But now I have tried them at about 10PM here and all is good in the world, lol.

Thanks guys!