Rear sunshade loose, 2001 UL

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-07, 07:55 PM
TurboTodd
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Rear sunshade loose, 2001 UL

Well damn.

Don't open your rear window at 55mph with your rear window sunshade in the the up position. approx 12" of the fabric came loose from the frame. I hit the down button as soon as I saw it in the mirror, and pulled over to inspect it.

The fabric (for lack of a better term) is held in a groove by a plastic rod. I can't see a simple way to reinstall it in the up position. Nothing is damaged, but it just came loose.

Anyone have or know of an R&R for the rear sunshade? I searched two different forums, to no avail.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 03-11-07, 06:45 PM
TurboTodd
Driver

Anybody at least know how to take it apart, off the car?
Old 03-15-07, 08:16 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I dont know man....Ive looked at mine and it seems tricky on how that thing attaches. Does yours have two white plastic strongs hanging out of either end of the rod? Mine does and I dont know if thats normal or some way to re-attach the fabric.
Old 03-16-07, 09:25 PM
TurboTodd
Driver

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
I dont know man....Ive looked at mine and it seems tricky on how that thing attaches. Does yours have two white plastic strongs hanging out of either end of the rod? Mine does and I dont know if thats normal or some way to re-attach the fabric.
The white plastic piece holds the fabric in the groove.. basically wedges it in there. I need to figure out how to remove it from the car, and I'll be able to repair it. Just needs the white rod removed, the fabric replaced, and the white rod relaced through the frame.
Old 10-06-08, 06:59 PM
vamel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can anybody please tell us how to remove the rear power sunshade off the car ?

thanks
Old 10-07-08, 05:40 AM
LSLUXX
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear Sunshade

I had the same issue. After a lot of reasearch discovered what has already been said here: the reason the shade comes loose is because the white plastic is hanging on either of the sides. I decided to fix it rather than take it off. With one hand I held the shade upwards as much as I could and with the other I pushed the white plastic wedge inwards, starting with the area closest to the center. Slowly the white plastic makes its way in all the way attaching the shade. Took exactly 2 minutes!
Old 10-08-08, 01:39 PM
vamel
Driver School Candidate

I actually have a new one from junkyard and need to install it as the curtain is ripped on the original one.

So, could anybody give some directions on how to remove it...

Thanks.
Old 10-11-08, 05:50 AM
Haylands
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vamel
I actually have a new one from junkyard and need to install it as the curtain is ripped on the original one.

So, could anybody give some directions on how to remove it...

Thanks.
Hi

This is not a five minute job.... The manual says

1. Remove both rear door scuff plates
2. Remove both rear door weatherstrips
3. Remove rear seat side covers, both sides
4. Remove the roof side garnish, both sides
5. Remove the rear speaker grille
6. Remove the package tray trim panel
7. Remove the package tray trim panel assy No 2 (?)
8. Remove the center stop lamp
9 Disconnect the electrical plug
10. Remove the six bolts
11. Remove the sunshade.

There are several links showing how to remove the other bits needed for this but basically it is a very long job. I think you would need to buy the manual to do the job properly. It also says you have to be carefull so as to not damage the vehicle body or glass.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Pete
Old 10-12-08, 11:23 PM
vamel
Driver School Candidate

Hey Pete, thanks a lot for the reply.

Do you have any links or references to any direction sources with some photos and more detailed instructions by any chance ? And do you have any idea where I could buy that manual from ?

Again thanks for your help and the info
Old 10-14-08, 10:57 PM
singernak
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any ideas where i could buy just the White plastic strip? On my 2004 LS430 the sunshade came undone, and now will not re-attach. after reviewing this forum, i understand that i need the white plastic rod at the top of the sunshade that is used to hold the fabric in place.

Can i purchase this Plastic rod by itself? also is it hard to re-attach the fabric once i have that Plastic rod?

Thanks in Advance.

Chris
Old 10-14-08, 11:16 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts
Unhappy

Well, I went through the oem site through our vendor Carson.
I couldn't find it, maybe you guys should give them a call

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
Old 10-15-08, 02:43 PM
Haylands
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vamel
Hey Pete, thanks a lot for the reply.

Do you have any links or references to any direction sources with some photos and more detailed instructions by any chance ? And do you have any idea where I could buy that manual from ?

Again thanks for your help and the info
Hi

Sorry been away for a few days, the manual is on cd and there is someone in the UK selling them on ebay at the moment, they do ship to the US

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lexus-LS430-Wo...d=p3286.c0.m14

The screen shot looks just like mine and it covers all years and RHD and LHD, does take a while to find things though....

If you want me to load the relevant pages let me know.

Pete
Old 10-15-08, 02:55 PM
Haylands
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by singernak
Any ideas where i could buy just the White plastic strip? On my 2004 LS430 the sunshade came undone, and now will not re-attach. after reviewing this forum, i understand that i need the white plastic rod at the top of the sunshade that is used to hold the fabric in place.

Can i purchase this Plastic rod by itself? also is it hard to re-attach the fabric once i have that Plastic rod?

Thanks in Advance.

Chris
Chris

My plastic strip had come out when I bought the car, luckily it was in the boot, took me ages to work out what it was I just thought the screen didn't work.... anyway, it was easy to replace.

I put the screen up and just the frame comes up, I then got my fingers in where the screen is and you can just grab it and pull it up carefully, the top has a folded over piece that is stitched, you feed this through the top bar on the frame (it has a slot if you look hard) then you thread the plastic strip through the folded over piece on the blind and this stops the blind pulling back through the slot. The blind does have some resistance when you pull it to keep it taught when it goes up and down. There was nothing to hold the rod in place, but it has not moved now for well over a year.

The plastic rod is about 2-3mm across and is made of flexible white nylon, the closest thing I have seen to it is the rod inside an electric aerial to make it go up and down. I would imagine you could find something at a hardware store, it doesn't have to be spot on to work.

Good Luck

Pete
Old 10-15-08, 03:21 PM
vamel
Driver School Candidate

Pete, thanks again for your input... I would highly appreciate if you could provide me with that pages before I get the manual I ordered from the eBay (I used the link you provided )

I just wanna know what exactly I need to do before I proceed with the replacement of the sun shade unit, don't wanna brake anything, you know
Old 10-15-08, 03:45 PM
Haylands
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vamel
Pete, thanks again for your input... I would highly appreciate if you could provide me with that pages before I get the manual I ordered from the eBay (I used the link you provided )

I just wanna know what exactly I need to do before I proceed with the replacement of the sun shade unit, don't wanna brake anything, you know
Hi

I thought I would be able to upload the pdf's for this but they have disabled that facility, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you

Pete

Quick Reply: Rear sunshade loose, 2001 UL