LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Third party extended warranties

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-07, 06:38 PM
Datacom9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by njmurvin
I have noticed that once a 2004 LS430 gets over 50k miles, the price drops significantly - at least that appears to be true in SoCal. I have to believe that, in part, this is because the Lexus extended warranty purchase is no longer an option (option expires at 4yr/50k). So, is there a decent third party warranty program that will offer coverage for cars over 50k miles? I believe these cars are barely broken in at 50k. However, buying any used car can be risky and a warranty can mitigate that risk.
I bought an '02 Lexus Cert. Pre-owned LS 430 with 45K Miles on it. I think the coverage is basically the same as a factory warranty but for 3 years/100K miles.

I've had a bad experience with an extended warranty (Volvo), so I'm jaded for life. However, Lexus's CPO warranty seemed like a good decision. No complaints, 3000 miles later.

All in all, I guess I paid ~2,000 for the Lexus warranty, in the price of the car (30K). I think Blue Book was ~33,000 or so

Hope this helps you decide, if you haven't decided already!
Old 05-18-07, 07:11 PM
Moogy
Pole Position

I've done quite a bit of research and at this point, I don't see the benefit in purchasing an extended warranty for my LS430, especially after talking with a Lexus Service Manager with so much experience.

The LS430 is simply one of the finest cars built, and yes it appears the prices do drop after 50,000 miles, but the problems that come out of a car that is taken care of well seem to be little to none...
Old 06-17-07, 07:57 AM
Carl_NH
Driver School Candidate

We just purchased an 04UL with 17K and CPO coverage 3yr 100K however since we average 20K/Yr decided to extend to 5 Yrs 125K so we basically have 2 extra years and 25K Mi over CPO. Paid $1800 (dealer wanted $2K)

Rationale was insurance and peace of mind for a longer term. Also there is a rebate from Lexus if you dont use it based on miles left when you sell or trade. Another factor is resale - a CPO covered car in my mind would be worth more to a prospective buyer since any "issues" could be or would have been addressed by Lexus.
Old 06-17-07, 08:04 AM
dandg
Driver

Hi Carl,
from NH too and looking for a 04 LS430 with low miles.Mind if I ask where your ended up buying?We bought our RX330 from Watertown Ma but that was a new one and they gave us a good deal,their used ones are way high.Not to sure about the new owners on Manchester dealership I do know they are not cheap with service.
thanks
Old 06-17-07, 08:05 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, the following is from the Lexus extended warranty site: (Most noteworthy is the first one, regarding third-party warranties)

"Some interesting things to note regarding independent warranty companies:

1. The ten leading independent providers ten years ago are all out of business today. As a result, many customers who had valid claims at the time were not paid.

2. Independent warranty companies must turn a profit. The factory-backed plans we offer exist to keep our customers satisfied with the Lexus product and the exceptional service offered at its dealers.

3. Independent warranty companies' plan coverage may appear to look like ours. However, the problem is, they may require the use of non-factory inferior parts and make it extremely difficult to collect benefits. "
Old 06-17-07, 08:27 AM
Carl_NH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dandg
Hi Carl,
from NH too and looking for a 04 LS430 with low miles.Mind if I ask where your ended up buying?We bought our RX330 from Watertown Ma but that was a new one and they gave us a good deal,their used ones are way high.Not to sure about the new owners on Manchester dealership I do know they are not cheap with service.
thanks
Hi Dandg,

I travel so looked in FL Orlando and Melbourne Lexus dealer over several months since they seem to have a lot of low mi snow bird cars - price wise they were competitive 04UL $42K 28K Mi. We looked at Ira and Watertown - kept looking until we found this one @ Lexus of Watertown - at the end of May - they are always motivated to sell at the end of the month and accepted my offer. They had the window sticker @ $49K which probably redirected many people - look at their internet price - it is much lower. This was a car sold and serviced @ Watertown they provided the CARFAX to but I also did autocheck (experian) as background too.

On top of $39 was the Platinum CPO 5yr/125K for $1800 - They also delivered car to NH - overall an easy transaction. For initial service & to resolve some little issues (trunk struts, balance etc) I will go back to Watertown then probably use IRA for CPO warranty due to location and the local Toyota dealer for normal service since we have a Tundra as well.
Old 06-17-07, 09:16 AM
dandg
Driver

Hi Carl_nh,
and thank you for the reply.I have been looking in Fla,online,for that snowbird type as well.Two things I did find,many dealers don't even bother to answer emails from out of state (like JM for instance),which is dumb.The other was most are understandably light color leather,I am looking for black.

They,Watertown, where very competitive with the new RX330 but we had to go back and forth over the phone between IRA and them.I will have to reexamine a lower offer with the used guy (Alex I think)Thats great they delivered it.We had the 30day plate from NH and went down to pick it up but where told that Mass does not honor those plates.yet another reason why I am happy to be in the "Live Free or Die" state

I have found IRA that now owns Manchester to be very high priced for service ($175.00 oil change)and either use the TM dealer like you or have a friend who owns a shop do it.
thanks again for the info and enjoy you LS I can't wait to find mine!