LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Huge Brake Calipers And Purchaseing Rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-07, 06:54 AM
KINGLS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge Brake Calipers And Purchaseing Rims

Ive been trying to purchase new 18 by 8 rims for about a week now and the company that im buying them from said that because the brake calipers are so big they have to c if they would fit or not because the rim is brand new. I ordered them about a week ago and have been checking up daily with the company normal excuse after excuse but has anyone else had this problem with purchaseing rims and if so where did u go to get the so that i can just put some wheels on my car and stop screwing around...
Old 05-25-07, 07:03 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,364 Posts

Get in touch with our CL wheel vendors, D2 Autosport is very familiar with our cars and offsets / clearance needed for big calipers like on LS430 plus they're local to you in the NY area

Check out group buys in our vendor forum (see their signature for contact info)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=277239
Old 05-25-07, 07:04 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealing with large brake calipers can be problematic when it comes to rim fitment. Their excuse about reserching if the new rims will clear the brake caliper is valid. However, I can't speak about their time frame. If they have an LS430 to test fit it is obviously very quick. If they don't have such a vehicle, then they will have to locate one and do the test fit. Depending on the rims contruction and design, the rims may just not fit and you will have to choose something else.

Without going into too much detail, you will hear many talk about disk face. Low disk, High disk and such. To clearn large brake calipers you generally need a high disk face. Offset has little to nothing to do with clearing larger brake calipers. The design of the rims face also plays a role.
Old 05-25-07, 07:18 AM
KINGLS430
Pole Position

They were waiting for the guys to get back from the lexus dealership they had 19 orders for the same rim as soon as they came out and ive kept in contact with 2 of the other customers they are telling them the same thing should i cancel my order and just pick a new rim?
Old 05-25-07, 07:20 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KINGLS430
They were waiting for the guys to get back from the lexus dealership they had 19 orders for the same rim as soon as they came out and ive kept in contact with 2 of the other customers they are telling them the same thing should i cancel my order and just pick a new rim?
That is up to you if you want to cancel. Sometimes things are worth waiting for if you really like these rims. Otherwise, if you had other choices that you can go with and be happy with by all means cancel. It is kind of a gamble either way though. You can cancel and then find out the rims do fit, or you can wait and find out the rims don't fit.
Old 05-25-07, 07:25 AM
KINGLS430
Pole Position

well what do u guys think i can't decide weather to go with the 20 or the 18 here u guys take a look and comment i think their gonna look mean http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse....ShowLarge=True
Old 05-25-07, 11:33 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Looks are personal preference.
Me personally, I don't like rims that are too flowery looking.
I would go with something more classy, especially for your LS.

HAve you contacted D2 Autosport like Dave recommended?
They are experts with Lexus and awesome wheels with excellent pricings.
Old 05-25-07, 01:18 PM
KINGLS430
Pole Position

The wheel supplier called me and said that it will fit with some kind of 4mm spacer. So i got the Baccarat 18 by 7.5 with 245-45-R18 Michilen Piliots only problem is 1 week to make the damn spacer and 2 weeks to ship ill upload pics when they get here in the mean time im probably to get the back windows tinted and get evreything ready so it's ready fro when they get here.
Old 05-25-07, 07:20 PM
OBXTucker
Driver

Stay away from spacers unless absolutely necessary. I had to go that route with my MRR wheels and wasn't happy with the end result. Also, unless perfectly balanced over the studs, you'll get vibrations. Not to mention the fact that in the back of your mind you'll be thinking, "I bought custom wheels that didn't fit properly and had to buy spacers to make them work...." (trust me, I know from experience).
Old 05-25-07, 08:10 PM
KINGLS430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by OBXTucker
Stay away from spacers unless absolutely necessary. I had to go that route with my MRR wheels and wasn't happy with the end result. Also, unless perfectly balanced over the studs, you'll get vibrations. Not to mention the fact that in the back of your mind you'll be thinking, "I bought custom wheels that didn't fit properly and had to buy spacers to make them work...." (trust me, I know from experience).
Why were you not happy with the end result and where were the vibrations comming from?
Old 05-26-07, 03:03 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

If the spacers are hub centric to your car's hub and the rims center bore, you should have no problems. One thing to remember though is the length of the studs. Often, when adding spacers your stock studs are no longer long enough to support the lug nut in the safe zone on the stud. This could lead to a broken stud. One general rule of thumb is at least 6 full turns of the lug nut. In the wheel and tire section another member just mentioned an offical rule of having the lug nut screw on the lug by at least it diameter. In the case of most Japanese cars and the Lexus that uses a 12mm stud with 1.5 tread pitch, that means the lugnut should be able to screw on at least 12mm. If you can't attain these mimimums (The 12mm or the 6 full turns) than you need longer studs.

Anyway, back to the spacers. As I mentioned, if they are hub centric you should have no problems as I ran spacers on my NSX with no problem and that has a very sensitive suspension. You can feel everything so if there were any vibration you would feel it. The down side like OBXTucker mentioned is if you use universal (Non hub centric) spacers you might get some vibration, and you have that though in the back of your mind that your new rims didn't fit properly without a spacer. If you can get past those thoughts then a spacer is fine.

It sounds like the company if making a hub centric spacer for you though if they are telling you it will take a week to make. That means it is a custom spacer and there is really no reason to make a custom spacer in generic form, so I'll bet it will be hub centric.
Old 05-26-07, 03:57 AM
KINGLS430
Pole Position

Ok so i checked with the guy who is dealing with the rim company for me the spacers are hub centric so thats no problem there but what were u saying about getting longer bolts? the company said they are sending me smaller locking lugnuts he said that they will definetly complete 6 full rotations
Old 05-26-07, 04:07 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KINGLS430
Ok so i checked with the guy who is dealing with the rim company for me the spacers are hub centric so thats no problem there but what were u saying about getting longer bolts? the company said they are sending me smaller locking lugnuts he said that they will definetly complete 6 full rotations
You should be fine than on the studs. The new locking lug nuts just sounds like those anti theft ones. Either way, you need a different type of lug nut when using after market rims on a Lexus. There are 3 types of lug nuts. One with a flate mating surface like the Lexus OEM lug nuts. One with a conical taperd shape seat and one with a rounded shape seat The later two are generally used for after market rims with the concical one seemingly the most popular from the rims I've used. Anyway, you can't use the stock lugs anyway so the new rims should come with lug nuts compatible to the rim.
Old 05-26-07, 10:51 AM
KINGLS430
Pole Position

Yes the new rims are comming with like i said some type of smaller lug i won't know untill tuesday when i call to confirm my order i will get the specifics about the lugs but the spacers are 4mm hub centric spacers and the rims and tires are the same as the stock 18 inch sport wheels that come on the 06 UL 18 by 7.5 with 245/45/R18 so im expecting them to fill the gap well im not going to lower the car because of the area i live in so im looking for the wheels and tired to fill the gap very nicely. I was going to go with 20's but the tech thats doing the work to my car said that the active radar would have to be recalibrated with the 20 inch wheels and that was like 600 dollars extra ide rathe save that for some gas plus i heard u can't go over 90 mph and sometimes i do well over 90 mph
Old 05-27-07, 09:00 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OBXTucker
Which MRR wheels did you have, and what size were they?

Quick Reply: Huge Brake Calipers And Purchaseing Rims