LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Tire/Wheel Shake... All in my head?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-07, 12:54 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Moogy, I've had lots of problems with vibrations on my GS... I finally went to a place with a hunter 9700 Balancing machine, and all my problems are gone. Paid $60 for mounting and balancing at the local Toyota dealer. Lexus charges double, and are twice the distance away.

You can go to hunters website, and find the stores around you that carry this expensive balancing machien.
Old 05-26-07, 03:42 PM
Moogy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not original owner, but clear carfax. I've had the body gone over time and time again and there's no signs at all of an accident (frame crumple zones, etc.) The only oddity is the missing VIN sticker from the front right panel, but IF it was repainted it's the best paint job I've ever seen and there's no telltale signs.

Regardless, I need to figure out what the issue is because it's driving me nuts...
Old 05-26-07, 08:32 PM
jgrooms
Driver

By chance are your tires Goodyear Assurance Comfortred? On Tire Rack several reviews from LS 430 owners complain of a vibration.

Read the reviews here:
http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...=All&miles=All

Make sure to read the reviews for the LS 430 towards the bottom of the page. Other Lexus models don't seem to have the problem.
Old 05-26-07, 10:07 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Moogy, don't give up on this car just yet buddy. I did have a GS 300 that I could never fully get rid of the 62mph shake though, and it was the reason I sold the car. I had just about everything under the sun done to it to fix it; steering wheel pretensior adjusted, new tires, new wheels, upteen alignments, daizen bushings, etc. However, I think the GS doesn't have a full frame; it's more like a unibody whereas the LS does have a full frame.
Have you tried different wheels? Heck, have you tried rotating the wheels? You have a full size spare in the trunk too; you could try swapping it out with either of the front wheels.

My 04 LS is silky smooth at all speeds; never any play or shake in the wheel at any speeds. Plus, I now have 88k on the odometer!

Good luck buddy; I'm sure it'll end up being something silly.
Shawn
Old 05-27-07, 12:32 AM
Moogy
Pole Position

Yup I've switched tires, rotated them, road force balanced, etc.

Now I think it's time to look at the suspension, etc. I'm calling the local Lexus mechanic on Tuesday and we're going to discuss what it could be and I'll probably give him the car for a few days...

I'll let everyone know the results.

Thanks for the support!