LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Update on LS430 Tire Shake

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-07, 10:18 AM
Moogy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Update on LS430 Tire Shake

Well, I left my 2004 LS430U with my local Lexus dealer for 3 days, and they confirmed they could feel the tire shake "when the car was cold" but that they could not find any problems with the vehicle whatsoever.

They recommended that I contact Michelin, which I just did.

The Michelin guy said that all of their tires are "Nylon Ply" which can cause vibration when cold in some cars, but it will disappear when the tires warm up.

Now, with my LS430, as soon as I get on the freeway when the car has been cold, the share is often visible in my steering wheel. However after 5 minutes or so on the freeway, the shake does pretty much disappear (but I can still feel "something").

Anyway, I wanted to find out if anyone else had a 2004 LS430 with Michelin's on their car to determine if others have this issue.

3 road force balances later it's still driving me nuts!

Michelin said that they will replace the tires within the next 2 weeks if I wish...
Old 06-06-07, 02:07 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run 19" PS2's and never notice this... 245/40/19 and 275/35/19, 35psi with all tires. They are about 3 weeks old and the car is driven daily 40-60 miles in mix city/highway traffic.
Old 06-06-07, 02:18 PM
Moogy
Pole Position

Yah I'm becoming very frusturated about this whole ordeal. My car is not stable, and nobody can tell me why. The local Lexus dealership "confirmed" they could feel it "from a cold start" and they said it must be the tires; yet the car seems a bit "shakey" to me even after the tires warm up.

Is there anyone here in the Phoenix area with a LS430 (04 or later) who would want to hook up and take my car for a spin?
Old 06-06-07, 02:53 PM
rwheelz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume you have tried a hunter road-force balance? Where they apply pressure to the wheel when they balance it. Also, make sure they have the proper wheel weights on, many shops just stick a strip in the center. There should be one on the edge as well.
Old 06-06-07, 04:21 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if you would be able to find another set of wheels and tires to swap for a short test drive, just to confirm it's the car and thus eliminate the wheels/tires suspecius.
Old 06-06-07, 05:45 PM
6spd
Driver School Candidate

could it possibly be your wheel bearings?
Old 06-06-07, 05:53 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bb430
I wonder if you would be able to find another set of wheels and tires to swap for a short test drive, just to confirm it's the car and thus eliminate the wheels/tires suspecius.
This sounds like a really good options. As with the roadforce test.
Maybe the dealer would be willing to swap out a set of rims with a different LS on their lot to do the test.
Old 06-06-07, 06:09 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I had Michelin's on my 2002 LS 430 and it rode fine. No shake at all...

I would take Michelin up on their offer. Also, ask the dealer to swap out a set of wheels from another LS if they're willing...

Craig

2007 LS 460
Old 06-09-07, 01:59 PM
Moogy
Pole Position

Well, Lexus claims there's nothing more they can do and Michelin is going to send new tires, but my gut tells me it's not the tires. I'll talk with the service manager and see if he's willing to swap out the wheels for testing, but this whole thing is just strange.

Mechanic said he checked EVERYTHING (shocks, struts, bearings, etc.)and found no problems at all...
Old 06-11-07, 07:55 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've literally had 20 or more sets of Michelin tires on my vehicles over the years and I've NEVER ONCE had a single tire that didn't run out perfectly once they warmed up. I mean PERFECTLY. (Some of the ultra high performance tires would flat spot a little bit when they sat for an extended period, but that disappeared after 5 miles or less of driving). I do not believe it is inheant in the tires.

Of course I've now jinxed my good results and my Michelins will probably turn to crap on me.
Old 06-11-07, 09:21 AM
Moogy
Pole Position

I am in complete agreement with you, but what other options do I have?

What else could it be?
Old 06-11-07, 09:48 AM
pacinitaly
Driver

Wink

moogy,

did you do a carfax or did you buy new?
the car may have been smacked
Old 06-11-07, 10:07 AM
Moogy
Pole Position

Carfax is clean, yet the VIN sticker is missing from the front passenger panel; however everyone who has examined the car found no problems at all, nor any signs of an "accident".

However, even if an unregistered "smack" took place there's no sign of it, nor do I know how it could "harm" the car to cause this sort of vibration - especially when it gets "better" as the car warms up...
Old 06-11-07, 01:41 PM
mywong23
Driver

Did the car have the vibration problem before you changed tires?

for your new tires: request the Tech to position the tire on the wheel, with the heavy "side" of the tire opposite the valve stem. Double check inflation pressure.
Continue with the Hunter 9700 balancer and re-checking the balance job using the Road force Option.

may the Force be with you....

Last edited by mywong23; 06-11-07 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-11-07, 07:46 PM
Moogy
Pole Position

Yes, on the previous tires; but it's progressively gotten worse since I received the vehicle.

I EMailed the guy I purchased the car from (a broker) who is supposedly friends with a guy at a dealership who took it in on trade-in yet he is not getting back to me when I ask for contact information on the previous owners so I can contact them and find out what happened...

Grrr...

Quick Reply: Update on LS430 Tire Shake