LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2005 LS430 Front Console Cupholders vs Ashtray question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-09, 05:37 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have my JL remote bass **** installed in my ash tray, but it is still basically a never been used ash tray with a bass **** in one corner... my #1 complaint about my 05 ls UL is the placement of the not so functional cup holders... i am constantly loosing drinks so much that i am scared to put anything in it that isn't a sippy cup or that doesn't have a lid on it. plus i have a hard time placing my arm on the arm rest with a coffee or water bottle in the cup holder... DAMN YOU TOYOTA!!!

BTW: why the hell do i have to choose between an arm rest or a drink holder if i'm sitting in the back seat too... errrgggg!!!
Old 04-17-09, 05:38 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought it was nifty... the little 12v/120W plug cover is spring loaded, so it springs right back once you pull your plug out. neat !!!!
Old 04-17-09, 05:46 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Not a trend setter...

Originally Posted by sojah
... basically a never been used ash tray with a bass **** in one corner... DAMN YOU TOYOTA!!!

BTW: why the hell do i have to choose between an arm rest or a drink holder if i'm sitting in the back seat too... errrgggg!!!
Exactly the reason I got rid of the ashtray. Too small for anything really, and since I'm not a smoker, having that lighter really bothered me. Just sitting there doing nothing. Finally commited to the $200 and got the tray instead. Pretty easy to install too.

Toyota is really behind the times with dressing up the interior. When most manufacturers had aleady gone away from ashtrays and lighters, we not only got them on the console, but on the doors too. Plus, the CASSETTE TAPE PLAYER !!!! I'm sure the 5% that still has tapes are happy. (I'm part of that 5%, but only at home). DARN YOU TOYOTA !!!!

As for the back, I've never sat back there so I don't care about the arm rest... ha ha. I do see your point, why not a pop-out holder too back there. Oh well...
Old 04-17-09, 05:50 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my old 95 nissan gloria (in japan) (which became the m35 in the u.s) had the same style rear arm rest with the open up storage and it even had a pop out cup holder to allow someone to use the arm rest and have a beverage of choice in a holder. definitely behind the times in some aspects. its like they try to keep it old school to a certain extent.
Old 04-17-09, 08:58 AM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
For anyone interested, part number was: 58810-50020-E0 (last two characters for wood color). E0 is for the medium "burnt" brown.
Nice...I like it much better than the ashtray. I gotta change that out too. is the part number above a Lexus part number?
Old 04-17-09, 09:46 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Part Number

Originally Posted by jman-LS430
Nice...I like it much better than the ashtray. I gotta change that out too. is the part number above a Lexus part number?
Yes, that is the Lexus part number and last two letter/numbers denoted the wood. The number I quoted was for mine which is the black interior with the darker brown wood trim with the burnt edges. I have a CL with the semi-analine interior.

I got through Irontoad, via price quote and just provide VIN and they can give you the actual number and price. Mine was $213 or something like that, for part and shipping.

If the price is not too bad, why not change something out to be more useable. Plus, it's a very easy swap out. Held on by four screws.
Old 04-17-09, 10:21 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey, I am interested! That looks good!

Thanks a lot for sharing!

Last edited by BNR34; 04-17-09 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-17-09, 11:41 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Share share share...

Originally Posted by BNR34
Hey, I am interested! That looks good!

Thanks a lot for sharing!
No problem, that's what we're all here to do, share out thoughts, experiences, and ideas. When I had the ashtray, I was always thinking how I could use the space for something better... now that I have the storage, I'm trying to see what's good to put in there.

Coins are out, since it's "too deep" and far away to put a bunch of coins and dig around. Plus, we have a dedicated coin tray. Not big enough to put by Dirty Harry special .45 (just kidding). It'll probably end up with pens and my girls hair clips and junk. Put some candy in there too.

But do note, BE CAREFUL when pulling that middle trim off. I broke the corner clips that's furthest to the rear on passenger side. Doesn't seem to affect anything as it still feels tight because there are felt tape all around, but I double-sided 3M taped it anyway. If you could get some sort of "hooked" tool to get under and pull up, it would be better. My mistake was I got the front out, then just continued to pull back and that side just snapped off.
Old 04-19-09, 07:27 AM
spender
Driver

I put one of these things in, and for me, it was one of the best upgrades I have done to my LS430. I'm not a smoker, so had no use for an ashtray; now this console holds everything that is too important to leave rolling around in the car - wallet, sunglasses, iphone, etc. I love it! A lot bigger than it looks in the pictures.
Old 04-19-09, 07:29 AM
spender
Driver

Plus, the CASSETTE TAPE PLAYER !!!! I'm sure the 5% that still has tapes are happy. (I'm part of that 5%, but only at home). DARN YOU TOYOTA !!!!
I think that cassette holder was left in there to please the "old folks" that would be the typical ones buying LS430s; my Dad loves that it has a tape player - even though I've never even used it once.
Old 04-19-09, 07:22 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default 80's CDs

Originally Posted by spender
I think that cassette holder was left in there to please the "old folks" that would be the typical ones buying LS430s; my Dad loves that it has a tape player - even though I've never even used it once.
We throw in some Metallica and old 80's tapes in there once in a while. It just so strange to hear the tape flip sides and that "rollling" sound that it makes. Hey, old folks gotta re-live the good ole dayz....
Old 04-22-09, 12:03 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

I got through Irontoad, via price quote and just provide VIN and they can give you the actual number and price. Mine was $213 or something like that, for part and shipping.
irontoad price quote came back $336 not including shipping. Anyone find this cheaper anywhere else (several people on this thread were interested so want to see if there were any better options)? My local dealer came back to me with $299 before tax.

Jeff(BNR34), have you looked into this?
Old 04-22-09, 12:21 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, see my PM
Old 04-22-09, 03:36 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

We throw in some Metallica and old 80's tapes in there once in a while. It just so strange to hear the tape flip sides and that "rollling" sound that it makes. Hey, old folks gotta re-live the good ole dayz....
nice upgrade to that ashtray unit there Alex

I'm going to do a cheapo DIY retrofit in the door handle to hold my phone/other crap

just got done this weekend transferring some tapes onto CDs
Metallica: One and Enter the Sandman
Old 04-22-09, 08:03 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default For real ????

irontoad price quote came back $336 not including shipping. Anyone find this cheaper anywhere else (several people on this thread were interested so want to see if there were any better options)? My local dealer came back to me with $299 before tax.

WHAT THE ?!?!?! now that is inflation.

I got mine for $194.28 + $16.98 = $211.26. You sure you quoted for the "bin" and not the ashtry/lighter unit right? The lighter unit is more expensive. What was part number? 58810-50020-xx right?

Quick Reply: 2005 LS430 Front Console Cupholders vs Ashtray question