Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although slightly off-topic, here is an article about Bose that opened my eyes:

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
Old 08-25-07, 08:38 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, the stock Bose system in my 99 Acura sounded like crap compared to the stock Pioneer in my 98 ES.

I'm happy with the ML in my 04 though, and STILL love the system in my 98.

Of course, as mentioned here, this is all pretty subjective stuff.
Old 08-25-07, 09:35 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 352 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888
Allow me to quote from Edmunds again...the ML system was rated tops in each consecutive test from 2002-2005...

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/...7/article.html

The Reference Surround Sound system in the LS 460 is said to be even better. But of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
For some, opinion isn't just an unfounded statement
Old 08-25-07, 11:20 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by danefx
I have been driving Mercedes for the last fifteen years, and the Bose system in my S500 blew my socks off. I think it is the best stock system I've heard.

I really want to get into an LS430 (similar to my 140), to avoid the costly mantainence
Hmmmm, totally opposite for me

The bose sucks in my s500 as compared to the ml in my gx. I love it in my gx.

The only thing that should matter are your ears
Old 08-27-07, 06:18 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Hmmmm, totally opposite for me

The bose sucks in my s500 as compared to the ml in my gx. I love it in my gx.

The only thing that should matter are your ears
Same here -- the Bose in my CLK 430 wasn't nearly as good as the ML in the LS but perhaps MB put a better system in the S class. However, as I recall, the two S-class cars that I test drove before buying the LS did not impress me too much with their sound systems either (nor their on-the-road feel).
Old 08-28-07, 08:13 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 352 Likes on 206 Posts

See if anyone can find technical specs on Bose hardware.
You can't.
They want you to buy their product based on what you feel. What you feel is inferior to scientifically backed engineering.
Find specs on Mark Levinson home theater systems, it'll blow you away; literally.
Old 08-28-07, 10:11 AM
bigcory
Lead Lap

I have a bose system in my grand prix. It is great other than the fact that there is no sub and volume control is limited.
Old 08-28-07, 11:29 AM
lotus
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Generally, I am O.K. with the ML sound. I totally feel the low end bass is just too light and the front focused sound is odd. I actually thought the SUB was broken in mine and had to climb in the trunk to confirm.

But centering the audio, leaving the ASL on, I have found a happy place. I would be interested in information on how well the low sound changes with a replacement sub woofer and/or using the high output leads from the sub to power another amp/sub would sound.
Old 08-28-07, 11:29 AM
skubasteev
Rookie

Originally Posted by bigcory
I have a bose system in my grand prix. It is great other than the fact that there is no sub and volume control is limited.
So...what you're really saying is that it's not great at all?

Sarcasm aside, as it's been said, stereo components are very subjective. If you like the way it sounds, who cares?
Old 08-28-07, 11:36 AM
skubasteev
Rookie

Originally Posted by lotus
I would be interested in information on how well the low sound changes with a replacement sub woofer and/or using the high output leads from the sub to power another amp/sub would sound.
You could switch to a sub with a higher sensitivity for more volume, lower frequency response for deeper bass, or a closer RMS power rating to that of the amp for better overall performance. Of course all of that pretty much depends on the specifics of the stock sub, and I'm not sure if that data is available.
Old 08-28-07, 12:58 PM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Technically you can switch to a different sub..but if you are TAPPING or using the output wires from the amp, the AMP does all the processing and you only get what the amp will give you which is probably 80Hz and below with a 12-18 db slope (just a guess).

Mike
Old 09-04-07, 09:03 AM
bluegsx
Rookie

I worked for my brother who owned a car stereo shop in the mid 1990's (now owns his own does computer networking business), went to the Installer's Institute in Daytona Fla and has several trophies for stereo competitions (quality and spl)...after being around so many high quality components most stereo's dont impress me. The ML in my 430 is very nice...maybe not for rap/bass music, but for rock, jazz, band, swing, blues...its great! After I repaird the stock sub (re-silicon the surround) it works fine and sounds fine. I have run a line to the trunk so i can disable/enable the stock sub and use another sub (JBL) in just a few seconds. I take out the JBL sub if I need more trunk space and just connect the stock sub back. It sounds amazing, very nice for adding a sub to a stock system, the highs are very nice and clear.

The JBL 10speaker system in my 05 4Runner is nice too...again, not for heavy rap/bass music at super loud volumes, but does hit nice bass at normal volumes.
Old 09-15-07, 09:49 PM
jcsmith79
Driver School Candidate

i have a o1 LS430 with the lexus premium sound system , would it be very hard to upgrade it to the ml or should i just wire in some extra speakers
Old 09-18-07, 03:48 PM
LexFan87
Driver School Candidate

Hey everyone, I agree with most of your opinions about the Mark Levinson system in the LS 430. I traded in my 03 GX 470 w/ mark levinson for a 06 LS 430 UL. The GX 470 had a much better sound system compared to the LS. Do you guys have any suggestions on what kind of subwoofer would be best to make the sound feel more rich and fill up the entire car. Because right now the sound seems like it's focused towards the front and very little bass is heard. Thx.
Old 09-19-07, 11:44 AM
lexusthai
Driver

The system in the E-Class, W211, has a lot more bass. If you listen to HOTEL CALIFORNIA, from HELL FREEZES OVER album... the sound system in the Mercedes would very much impress you. The bass, percussion, treble... mid frequencies, they're all there. MONEY FOR NOTHING from DIRE STRAITS as well.

For the ML in LS430, I find that bass is not so good. When I play classical music though, I notice that positions of speakers are well planned.

After a few weeks of owning a ML-equipped LS430, I seriously wanted to get a 12" subwoofer and a good amp., but don't want to drill the car and lose trunk space.

I looked at Crutchfield website to find DIY stuff, apparently Crutchfield haven't looked into any of 2001-2006 LS430! They assume that most LS430 owners are satisfied with their sound system...?

One really annoying thing though, sometimes i drive with my left knee rested on the driver's door panel. Placing my knee there 'blocks' the left door speaker. When I remove my knee from the panel, the sound from left and right comes in stereo!