LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

what do you really think of the Mark Levinson sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-07, 01:22 PM
danefx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you really think of the Mark Levinson sound

I've been looking at 2003-2004 Ls430's for the last few weeks and to tell you the truth, I'm not very impressed with the sound of the Mark Levinson stereo. I first put it on and turned it up from the back seat controls of an Ultra Luxury model.

I thought the balance was way too front heavy. I couldn't hear the rear speakers much at all except for the annoying sub. The front speakers seemed too bright especially from the center. I tried to adjust the controls to get a better mix, but still felt the sound was flat, lacked any real fidelity, and the sub just didn't do it for me. I am use too bigger speakers that produce base, without the need for sub-woofers.

I must explain that as a child of the sixties, my musical taste dosen't run to the extra bass heavy music of today, but I do know what I like.

I have been driving Mercedes for the last fifteen years, and the Bose system in my S500 blew my socks off. I think it is the best stock system I've heard.

I really want to get into an LS430 (similar to my 140), to avoid the costly mantainence
Old 08-20-07, 07:12 AM
luca
Driver School Candidate

I agree the Bose blows the ML away. I have the Bose in an XK8 and it is the best sound system I have ever heard in a car even with the top down. Don't get me wrong the ML is fine it's just far from the best.

JIMHO
Old 08-20-07, 07:24 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by danefx
I've been looking at 2003-2004 Ls430's for the last few weeks and to tell you the truth, I'm not very impressed with the sound of the Mark Levinson stereo. I first put it on and turned it up from the back seat controls of an Ultra Luxury model.

There is a setting that lets you select the sound 'focus' for the sitting areas of the car... driver only, front seats, rear seats or all four. Sounds like you had it setup for front or driver only. (one caveat - I *think* this setting is there in the 2003; it is in my 2005 UL)

Sounds to me like the system was badly configured... most everyone complains that the bass in the ML is 'too light'.

Mid range speakers produce mid-range bass, but a separate subwoofer is really a best practice for sound systems and pretty much every higher end car stereo and aftermarket setup has one (or more). It doesn't have to be turned up loud to sound good.
Old 08-20-07, 07:53 AM
DanceEagle
Driver School Candidate

My Opinion: ML can make a great car Stereo. Unfortuanately it isn't in the LS 430. Just test the new LS 460 and be ready to be astounded. While I chose the LS 430 over the LS 460 for a variety of other reasons I do consider the ML in my 430 to be mediocre at best. While the 430 ML system can be adjusted in many ways it just isn't well designed for quality music. For spoken word it is good enough.
Old 08-20-07, 09:12 AM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone's got different tastes in music and how they are re-produced..I personally HATE the "BLOWS" in ANY environment BUT the ML on my LS430 with upgraded subs did a WORLD of difference and sounds just about perfect.

No EQ, No Electronic X-over adjustments, No Sound Deadening material added, just an upgraded subwoofer with additional amp.
Old 08-20-07, 12:20 PM
danefx
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for your replies. It's nice to know that I'm not totally crazy on this belief. I really want the car and not having a great system will not be a deal killer, so I guess I will look into another sub and amp like flippu suggests.

Dave I will ask about the focus setting also.

Also how easy is it to mod the ml system and still have it work through the nav screen and steering wheel controls?
Old 08-21-07, 12:33 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FLIPPU
Everyone's got different tastes in music and how they are re-produced..I personally HATE the "BLOWS" in ANY environment BUT the ML on my LS430 with upgraded subs did a WORLD of difference and sounds just about perfect.

No EQ, No Electronic X-over adjustments, No Sound Deadening material added, just an upgraded subwoofer with additional amp.
I agree completely. Bose = BLOWS in my book.

I've been wanting to do the simple sub upgrade like you mention. Could you post up what all components you used and any special install issues/tricks?

I think the LS430 ML is pretty decent by factory system standards, but certainly not great by any means. And it depends a LOT on what type of music/whatever you're listening to. Here's a strange thing I've noticed -- or at least it surprises me because it seems to work differently on my LS than on any other of the several cars I've owned/driven that had Auto Sound Level: The ASL seems to improve sound quality significantly. I suppose it must change the equilization somehow (as opposed to simply adjusting the volume). I'd never switched it on until a month or so ago. I switched it on and the sound instantly got more musical and warm. My wife and 3 year old were in the back seat and she didn't know that I switched it on, yet she asked, "What did you just do to the sound? It just suddenly got sooo much better." Surprised me.

BTW, the ML in the LS460 is AWESOME.
Old 08-21-07, 12:45 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I really love my ML system. I noticed my ML in my GS has a lot more Bass, but sound clarity is 10X better in the LS. I hear things in th LS I've never heard in my GS.

I do agree that its lacking a bit of bass though.
Old 08-23-07, 06:16 AM
spender
Driver

I love my ML sound system in my Lexus, but it definitely isn't great if you want to listen to Rap and House or whatever the kids are listening to.

Sorry, but while Bose may make a good mass market stereo, it's not real audiophile...
Old 08-23-07, 06:33 AM
skubasteev
Rookie

I will concur that BOSE makes some pretty poor stereo components. Many years ago they might have been great, but now their success is based mostly on a name that was once associated with good stereos.

I don't have any first hand experience with the ML on the LS (my dad does have it in his GS), however for the price of the option you could easily put together a beautiful aftermarket system that sounds twice as good. I'll take adjustable crossover points and customizable equalizers over a flashy name any day.
Old 08-23-07, 01:57 PM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the Bose in my S500 was far superior to the ML in my 05 Ultra,,
no comparison,,
Old 08-24-07, 06:00 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

I've got Mark Levinson in the LS430.
Had Nakamichi in the LS400.

I like to consider myself an audiophile and I like to consider my sources are ideal for testing.

I don't know about the rest of the versions, but the LS430UL has a sound system so accurate it'll make throw you into a tizzy.

I'm going to be making another thread regarding specific albums people should test.
Old 08-25-07, 05:33 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The ML in my 03 430 is not even as good as the Bose in my 93 Nissan Maxima - now that was a nice sounding system. I agree with the OP.
Old 08-25-07, 05:38 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Allow me to quote from Edmunds again...the ML system was rated tops in each consecutive test from 2002-2005...

Top 10 Sound Systems Over $30,000:

1. Lexus LS 430
This sound system, which was introduced in 2001, could be the best on the market. In fact, if we could give it an 11, a la Spinal Tap, we would — it's that good. It comes with 11 speakers, 240 watts of clean RMS power and sound quality second to none. Audiophiles will note that Mark Levinson uses the true RMS rating, which legitimizes this system's quality, as opposed to the peak power rating that other makers use. Not exactly a household name, Mark Levinson is a high-end home stereo manufacturer owned by Harman International (the same company that brings you Harman Kardon, JBL and Infinity). Several years ago, the company dispatched its engineers to Japan to work with the Lexus folks on a truly integrated sound system. The results are simply stunning.
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/...7/article.html

The Reference Surround Sound system in the LS 460 is said to be even better. But of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Old 08-25-07, 07:32 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

It is my personal belief that sound systems are very subjective. With that being said, I absolutely love the stock ML system in my 2004 UL. I agree with Mike that it could use a little more bass but I'm not looking to get some young kids interested in what's packed in my trunk so I can find my car either jacked or opened with a brick. I've always believed that you have to have separates to clearly replicate the sound that was produced either in the studio or recorded live. I don't know of a single producer who has a pair of Bose speakers above his sound board. Pick up any high end magazine advertising speaker systems that cost more than a brand new LS460L. You'll find at least half a dozen size speakers. So I'll cast my vote in the Mark Levinson ballot box. I'm more than pleased with my car. I can still hear my old salesperson saying, no highs, no lows, just Bose!

Quick Reply: what do you really think of the Mark Levinson sound