LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

clear taillight for 01-03

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-08, 02:21 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Do a photo comparison between the two cars with the backup light on. I wanna see how much bright have a LED would be.
Old 01-31-08, 05:19 PM
bluegsx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by airtime
Do a photo comparison between the two cars with the backup light on. I wanna see how much bright have a LED would be.
the reverse lights and blinker are NOT leds...the stock bulbs are used for them (except the blinker needed an amber colored 7440A)...as you can see from this pic of the back of the lights...the brake lights/tail lights, and side marker are red leds...the open holes are for the stock reverse light and blinker to plug in

the new lens is MUCH more clear than the old lens which makes the reverse lights appear brighter than stock....same bulb, new lens
Attached Thumbnails clear taillight for 01-03-leds-back.jpg  
Old 02-01-08, 09:54 AM
bluegsx
Rookie

it was raining last night so I couldnt get side by side shots...I'll try to do that this afternoon...

here's a shot from the 3rd floor window

these tails make a big difference in how the car looks...much cleaner, newer looking, expensive
Attached Thumbnails clear taillight for 01-03-leds13.jpg  
Old 02-01-08, 10:59 AM
anotherLS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks Doug for all the pics! looks great, plus i got a silver also....so you helped me out alot

oh yah one thing, do they supply the orange turn signal bulb 7440A?
Old 02-02-08, 12:30 AM
bippU!
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anotherLS
emu, orange sharpie will do the job!
color the clear 7440, walla!

i did this with my ichikoh hl on my xB. no need for special order from japan.
Old 02-02-08, 02:51 AM
anotherLS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hahahh thats ghetto bro! but i admit ive done that before! hahah
Old 02-02-08, 09:18 AM
bluegsx
Rookie

Originally Posted by anotherLS
thanks Doug for all the pics! looks great, plus i got a silver also....so you helped me out alot

no it didnt come with the orange turn signal bulb...but it was only a dollar or two at the nearest car store (AutoZone, AdvancedAuto, even Wal-Mart)
Old 02-02-08, 12:19 PM
bluegsx
Rookie

comparison pics...(notice the LS460 peeking out of the garage )
Attached Thumbnails clear taillight for 01-03-comp1.jpg  
Old 02-02-08, 12:22 PM
bluegsx
Rookie

another...
Attached Thumbnails clear taillight for 01-03-comp2.jpg  
Old 02-02-08, 12:27 PM
bluegsx
Rookie

closer...

hope these pics help you guys if you are trying to decide on getting these or not
Attached Thumbnails clear taillight for 01-03-comp3.jpg  
Old 02-04-08, 09:11 AM
DRWChicago
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bluegsx
closer...

hope these pics help you guys if you are trying to decide on getting these or not
Doug, you are the f*&$ing MAN! I also have a silver LS and these pics sold it for me.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 02-04-08, 09:38 AM
bluegsx
Rookie

Originally Posted by DRWChicago
Doug, you are the f*&$ing MAN! I also have a silver LS and these pics sold it for me.

Thanks a bunch!
no problem...trust me, between my 4Runner, Lexus, (and Supra I use to have), I know how tough some decisions can be so I always try to post the right kind of pics from all the angles...before and after
Old 02-06-08, 01:12 PM
ludes98
Driver School Candidate

Doug- Did you use the foam weatherstripping in the kit and did you add more of any kind? It rained this week and I now have water in them!!! I had my local body shop do my install and it has been less than smooth. Took them a week to get the lights to work properly but that seems impossible with your description of the install. Also in your pics (great) are they with the lights on when lit or is that with the brakes on? I'm also not sure they wired them right for the brakes.

I also noticed people talking about getting an amber bulb in the housing. Don't do that when you just got clears!! Get a stealth bulb (specially chrome coated amber bulb) so it is clear except when lit. You could opt for LED for the bulb also but that requires more parts to make it flash without fast flash or errors.

BTW for anyone interested. Racing_guys on eBay is Option Racing Group out of California. They can do the install if you are local. They also sell the same set for alot more at their website.
Old 02-06-08, 01:23 PM
bluegsx
Rookie

i did use the weatherstripping that came with the kit but you have to be careful where it is placed...a little off in any direction can leave you short on the opposite side...it has rained here twice (including allllll day today) and I have no water in them

the lights worked fine plug and play with what the kit supplied...if i unplug the little boxes, I get a "tail light out" warning...plug it back in and no warning the lights work just fine...what problem was your shop having trouble with? were they not lighting or braking?

I'll check out the stealth bulbs thanks for the suggestion
Old 02-06-08, 02:53 PM
99LS400BLK
Rookie

where do you buy the stealth bulbs?

Originally Posted by ludes98
Doug- Did you use the foam weatherstripping in the kit and did you add more of any kind? It rained this week and I now have water in them!!! I had my local body shop do my install and it has been less than smooth. Took them a week to get the lights to work properly but that seems impossible with your description of the install. Also in your pics (great) are they with the lights on when lit or is that with the brakes on? I'm also not sure they wired them right for the brakes.

I also noticed people talking about getting an amber bulb in the housing. Don't do that when you just got clears!! Get a stealth bulb (specially chrome coated amber bulb) so it is clear except when lit. You could opt for LED for the bulb also but that requires more parts to make it flash without fast flash or errors.

BTW for anyone interested. Racing_guys on eBay is Option Racing Group out of California. They can do the install if you are local. They also sell the same set for alot more at their website.

Quick Reply: clear taillight for 01-03