LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

clear taillight for 01-03

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-08, 03:13 PM
ludes98
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got some for my Denali through Amazon marketplace. I have new ones on order for the LS from www.stealthauto.com
Old 02-06-08, 03:27 PM
mikepae
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ludes98
Took them a week to get the lights to work properly but that seems impossible with your description of the install. Also in your pics (great) are they with the lights on when lit or is that with the brakes on? I'm also not sure they wired them right for the brakes.
Try switching the polarity of the the plugs. They are not like regular bulbs...I noticed that led taillights do not work if the bulbs plugs are inserted into the harness the wrong way.
Old 02-06-08, 03:46 PM
99LS400BLK
Rookie

has anyone else tried the stealth bulbs? they are about $40 on that site.....but there are some on ebay for about $12 shipped.... would it be wiser to buy the stealth ones or does it even matter?
Old 02-06-08, 04:25 PM
mikepae
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 99LS400BLK
has anyone else tried the stealth bulbs? they are about $40 on that site.....but there are some on ebay for about $12 shipped.... would it be wiser to buy the stealth ones or does it even matter?
dun matter dude. just make sure they aren't clear. so.. im guessing you got them then?
Old 02-06-08, 04:50 PM
99LS400BLK
Rookie

nope....still waiting unfortunately. just lookin at the bulbs ahead of time.

Originally Posted by mikepae
dun matter dude. just make sure they aren't clear. so.. im guessing you got them then?
Old 02-07-08, 07:59 AM
bluegsx
Rookie

Try switching the polarity of the the plugs. They are not like regular bulbs...I noticed that led taillights do not work if the bulbs plugs are inserted into the harness the wrong way.
this is very true...the led tails will only work when plugged in the right way
Old 02-07-08, 08:13 AM
ludes98
Driver School Candidate

The lights are installed (except for the leak...) properly. It just took them days to get it right which scares me for a body shop! Anyways I took pics this morning of mine with lights on and with the brakes on. I will try to post them later. They light up nice and the fit and finish is very good.
Old 02-07-08, 08:30 AM
bluegsx
Rookie

Originally Posted by ludes98
The lights are installed (except for the leak...) properly. It just took them days to get it right which scares me for a body shop! Anyways I took pics this morning of mine with lights on and with the brakes on. I will try to post them later. They light up nice and the fit and finish is very good.
would love to see the pics

i agree, these are very nicely made, fit and finish...I guess you still cant compare them with stock toyota parts, but for the price difference, these kick major a$$ and look GREAT!

did yours leak around the edges or through the rear (where the weatherstripping is)? you can always run around the edges with a tube of black or clear silicon
Old 02-07-08, 09:13 AM
ludes98
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure where the water came in but it was in the upper portion of the light so who knows.

Here's mine with lights on:

and with the brakes applied:

They don't look very bright in the shots, but they are bright. Very bright at night, though not as bright as the Escalade's next to it. Maybe I'll get a shot tonight of that comparasion.
Old 02-07-08, 09:38 AM
bluegsx
Rookie

wow that looks great on white and to everyone else, yes the LEDs are brighter in person (and especially at night)

if there is moisture in the upper part of the lens, maybe a line of silicon between the little rubber liner and the plastic of the lens would seal it off

its rained here, hard...and I have no moisture in mine...maybe i will in the future, maybe I got a lucky pair, who knows...these still look SO great for the price...sealing them if needed is just a minor pain, but fixable
Old 02-07-08, 12:00 PM
suprandsc
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine should be coming this Saturday(according to fedex tracking) and I will take some pics and post them as well.

My car is black btw.

JP
Old 02-09-08, 02:28 PM
suprandsc
Lead Lap

I just received my tails today and installed right away. When I was done installing the driver side, I turned on the lights to check. Only 3 LED's on the top section above the turn sigs work. So I plugged the passenger side into the driver side, and all LED's worked. Sigh...........

I've sent them an email, and hopefully I can get another replacement set asap.

Will keep you guys updated.

JP
Old 02-09-08, 05:33 PM
mikepae
Pole Position

Originally Posted by suprandsc
I just received my tails today and installed right away. When I was done installing the driver side, I turned on the lights to check. Only 3 LED's on the top section above the turn sigs work. So I plugged the passenger side into the driver side, and all LED's worked. Sigh...........

I've sent them an email, and hopefully I can get another replacement set asap.

Will keep you guys updated.

JP
You have them inserted upside down. Heres what you do: unplug the ones that don't work, flip 180 degrees and plug them in. They only work when they are plugged in the correct way.
Old 02-09-08, 06:01 PM
suprandsc
Lead Lap

You have them inserted upside down. Heres what you do: unplug the ones that don't work, flip 180 degrees and plug them in. They only work when they are plugged in the correct way.
They do light up. but only 3 LED's light up for the top half LED's.
Old 02-09-08, 06:06 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

hey guys, these are sold out on ebay.

Quick Reply: clear taillight for 01-03