LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2004 LS430: Should I Let it Go?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-07, 06:22 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
I...Money is a factor (for LS owners, that's why they care so much about reliability IHMO), otherwise they will buy S65 "BEAST".
Not for the locals I know with LS. MOST have owned S-class MBs, Audis, or Jaguars, etc. in the past and like the LS BETTER. Reliability is one issue, but not from the standpoint of money, but from the standpoint of PITA. They don't have the time or patience to put up with the other crap breaking down repeatedly. I can name several current LS owners who have told me that same story. These are people who own million+ dollar homes (here locally) as 2nd or 3rd homes, so they can afford pretty much whatever car they want. There are certainly some with MBs still (and we get to watch them hauled away on flatbeds once in a while ), but I'm amazed at how many own LS430s simply because they prefer the car. Keep in mind that most of these guys are too old to care about posing -- they're at a point of substance over style.
Old 09-14-07, 12:40 PM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I read somewhere that Lexus was finding it's new 460 was competing most against it's own used 430s. The LS line is so well made, it breaks the mold. the US car market has become used to the idea that cars should be changed every three years. THe car companies have made sure of this by creating garbage products that fall apart after 4 years or so.

THe LS since its inception has gone back in time in a way. BAck to the days when cars were well made and the avereage owner kept them for a decade.

Plus a 430 is so good, it would take a revolutionary product to make everyone want to trade them in for something new. How much better can it get? Not much really.

For me the only thing that might mnake me want to buy a new LS would be a natural gas or straight vegetable oil engine that I could fill up at home, which would make ownership that much more convenient and eliminate the need to go to a gas station.
Old 09-14-07, 01:32 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 421 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Not for the locals I know with LS. MOST have owned S-class MBs, Audis, or Jaguars, etc. in the past and like the LS BETTER. Reliability is one issue, but not from the standpoint of money, but from the standpoint of PITA. They don't have the time or patience to put up with the other crap breaking down repeatedly. I can name several current LS owners who have told me that same story. These are people who own million+ dollar homes (here locally) as 2nd or 3rd homes, so they can afford pretty much whatever car they want. There are certainly some with MBs still (and we get to watch them hauled away on flatbeds once in a while ), but I'm amazed at how many own LS430s simply because they prefer the car. Keep in mind that most of these guys are too old to care about posing -- they're at a point of substance over style.
Well, I am not quite in that category, but I used to drive Mercedes and would/could if it was a better product. It is not. The LS is the closest thing to the old 300D Mercedes....ran forever. The PITA (or lack thereof, with the LS) factor is exactly what it's all about.
Old 09-14-07, 10:15 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Care to elaborate?
The LS and GS are in total different classes. The LS (UL specifically) has leather EVERYTHING, just short of having leather tires. Its much more quieter, smoother, tranny shifts smoother, and a bit bigger on the inside.

Its like the difference between driving a corolla, and a Camry. The GS is a great car, and serves my purposes well, however, the LS is just amazing.

The great thing I like about the LS aside from the wonderful projectors is its ability to out handle the GS, as well as outproform it comfort wise thanks to the air suspension. The GS feels very rough and roads, YET it floats on the highway... its like it cant make up its mind sometimes. The LS is very comfortable, yet throw it in sport mode, and the steering stiffens, and the entire car becomes curve friendly. I can go on and on about the features in the LS like better ML system, suede headliner, keyless start, bigger glove box, 6speed, better fuel economy, etc.

This does not make the GS any less of a car, its just the LS is THAT nice of a car. The GS intern has beautiful lines (rear roof curving into the trunk lines) smaller, easier to park, and maneuver. Most Importantly, doesnt attract as much attention.
Old 09-16-07, 07:54 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

OK, so in the real world I found out that the dealers (two of them, both owned by the same owner here in Pittsburgh) are offering me $27,000 for my pristine 2004 LS430 with ML that has been one owner garage kept, handwashed and, well, pristine. KBB shows about $5000 to $6000 more for trade-in value. The dealer showed me an auction report showing similar vehicles going for $27K, and "KBB is just wrong and has not updated their numbers".

Well after thinking about it overnight, I am wondering about the auction report. Assuming it was legit (it appeared to be, but you never know for sure), doesn't that report represent a skewed sample of the crappy cars that the new car dealers don't want to be bothered with?

Do you guys think $27K is right and/or am I being toyed with beyond the normal dealer shenanigans?
Old 09-16-07, 09:17 AM
Moogy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I said before, you trade-in with a dealer you lose. Why not put it up on AutoTrader/Craigslist for a week or two and see what happens?

Also, look your very car up on AT and CL to see what other private parties are asking for theirs.

I've found that Patience is the key to getting a new car. Patience in selling your current vehicle and patience in buying the replacement.

Be patient with your time and wise with your money and you'll save thousands in your upgrade.

Of course that brings up the big question - is it worth it to you to wait for 2-4 weeks to privately sell your car and find the perfect deal on your new one in order to save $5,000-$8,000?
Old 09-16-07, 06:21 PM
ragabnh
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Most of the Lexus cars in the Auctions including the High line auctions such as Manhiem are average condition at best mostly coming of lease, I attended plenty of auctions and most of their cars belong to dealers getting rid of them after sitting unsold on the lot. It seems yours is a clean car, I would ask for KBB trade in price
Old 09-17-07, 05:23 AM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

and remember to keep in mind that if he showed you ebay, it's infested with car dealers and their shills.
Old 09-17-07, 02:30 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by badbronco8
Unfortunately everyone wants the NEW thing. The LS430 was and still is my dream car. I wouldn't trade it for a 460 because I know if Lexus redesigns it tomorrow and makes an LS570 then everyone will want that one and the 460 will not be so hot anymore. I say this because I feel some people are victims of marketing(not all some just really prefer the new design) and if you really analyze the interior features of the new LS, my 02' UL has nothing to envy from that new car except maybe shiatsu massage and a tray. I can install both those features for far less that the 55k extra I would have to spend to get a new 460l EXECUTIVE. Dont get me wrong, I love the 460 and when my cars service life is up I will buy a used 460 and drive it as long as I plan to drive this 430.

MY .02

Ed
Exactly how I feel, I could not have said it better...
Old 09-19-07, 11:49 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

does your car have any paint work??? do you guys have a CARMAX dealership nearby? CARMAX typically gives you KBB trade-in if your car doesn't have any paint work... Good luck.
Old 09-19-07, 11:52 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you should demand 34k if they are not offering any discount on the new LS460, because they will make a boat load on the new car... (I use to work for lexus back in the day, so I know)
Old 09-19-07, 01:09 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

No paintwork ever.

I can demand all I want. They have a monopoly. For now I am sitting tight and can perhaps sell the car myself.
Old 09-19-07, 01:57 PM
Moogy
Pole Position

Yah, why people settle for "trade in" is beyond me. Is convenience really worth $3,000-$5,000?

Sell it yourself!
Old 09-20-07, 12:47 AM
bluegsx
Rookie

get both *hehe* just kidding...we have 2 LS430's and one new LS460 and i'd have to agree that the 460 is amazing all the way around, inside and out

in the ls430, parked next to the ls460 makes me feel inferior, old and out dated...sorry, but it does

ls460 dash, nav screen, controls...all nice improvements in my opinion...not to take anything away from the ls430, still holds its own

i'm not badmouthing the ls430 (we have two of them), but the ls460 is heaven...however, i'm a person who likes "new"...so mechanical/comfort could be the same for all i care...i like the new, more aggressive looks

btw, the ML stereo in the LS460 is a huge HUGE improvement over the previous ML system
Old 09-21-07, 08:07 PM
mstrange
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Post some pics

Originally Posted by daryll40
No paintwork ever.

I can demand all I want. They have a monopoly. For now I am sitting tight and can perhaps sell the car myself.
Why not post some pictures on here - maybe someone will buy it from you from Club Lexus? Just a thought.

Mike