LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Questions about brake job

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-07, 01:47 PM
jgrooms
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about brake job

What services are recommended when doing a front and rear brake job for a 2001 LS 430?

Is it necessary to replace the caliper flange bolts when replacing the brake pads? Do the rotors always need to be turned? If not, what determines whether or not to turn them?

Thanks ~ John
Old 09-12-07, 03:44 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Proper brake job consist of brake flush, pads change, rotors turned(replaced if needed), caliper flg. Bolts replaced, and sensors checked.
There are no telling when you need a brake job done, it all depends on how you drive and of coures you know that already. I can tell you that my mother drove her car for 78000 miles and did not have any brake job done to her car...heck she was still using OEM tires when we traded the car in after 8 years of ownership.
Anyway, normally a pads change would be good enough, I personally don't like to have the rotors turned so I just replace them when they have a big lip or worn to spec. As for the flange bolts I would replace them every 2 pads change. Brake fluid flushed every year.
Again, these are what I would do with my own car and just for you to judge. Hope it helps...
Old 09-13-07, 10:35 AM
Frank T
Rookie

BB430

You have a little misinformation in your post. The LS Caliper Bolts need to be changed ANY time the Calipers are removed. They are torqued to a spec. that causes the bolts to stretch and should be used only once. The Calipers only need to be removed if you will be turning or changing the rotors, it is not necessary to remove the calipers to change the pads only.

My 03 LS has 53,000 miles on the original brakes, and is now about at the point where I will think about changing the PADS ONLY. My rotors are perfect so I see no need to have them turned at this point. The pads can be changed VERY EASILY without removing the rotors. I really don't understand what you mean by "inspect the sensors". If the brake warning has come on they need to be replaced, if not they can just be reused.

I run both summer and winter tires on my LS, so I change tires and rims twice a year. It takes me about 5 minutes more time to measure my pads while changing tires and lets me keep good track of brake wear. I pulled the sensors out of my pads at bout 42,000 miles (on the advice of a Lexus Tech) and zip tied them up out of the way. They sensors were just about to start to ware at that point and there was still 50% of the original pads left.

There are a LOT of LEXUS brakes the get changed WAY to early, because its a HUGE profit center for the Stealers. A complete set of Lexus Factory pads cost me considerably less than $100, and I know I can change them out in about 30 minutes during one of my tire rotations. The LS pads are the easiest change of any car I have ever owned.

FWIW the Lexus Tech that told me to pull the sensors told me that if it were his car that's what he'd do. He thought a LOT of Lexus Brakes got changed WAY to early.

As to Brake fluid, yes it's a good idea to change it, I just think once a year is overkill.
Old 09-14-07, 03:54 PM
jgrooms
Driver

Thank you bb430 & Frank T for your very informative replies. They have been most helpful.

~ John