LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Navigation Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-07, 04:06 PM
vollandt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Problem

I just purchased a 2002 ls430 with 60k miles on it yesterday. It has ML & NAV. There is also an after market dvd player, bluetooth, and alarm installed.

Everything worked fine initially. I just started having a problem with my navigation. The symptoms:

a) no initial nav warning screen

b) Hitting Map, Destination or Menu turns the screen blank. I still get the normal beep when these buttons are hit though.

c) the option, audio and climate buttons all work fine and display the correct content on the lcd.

I reset the system by disconnecting the battery for about a minute. No luck.

I looked through all the threads with “Navigation Problem” in the title and I didn’t see a post like this.

Any suggestions before I take it to the dealer?
Old 09-15-07, 05:04 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Kind of shooting in the dark, but...

Originally Posted by vollandt
I just purchased a 2002 ls430 with 60k miles on it yesterday. It has ML & NAV. There is also an after market dvd player, bluetooth, and alarm installed.

Everything worked fine initially. I just started having a problem with my navigation. The symptoms:

a) no initial nav warning screen

b) Hitting Map, Destination or Menu turns the screen blank. I still get the normal beep when these buttons are hit though.

c) the option, audio and climate buttons all work fine and display the correct content on the lcd.

I reset the system by disconnecting the battery for about a minute. No luck.

I looked through all the threads with “Navigation Problem” in the title and I didn’t see a post like this.

Any suggestions before I take it to the dealer?
If the DVD is wired into the Nav screen, sounds like when the NAV function is selected the DVD is hot. I would imagine there is a switch or switching device to go from NAV to DVD. This must also be aftermarket like the DVD. You also may have a blown fuse going to switching device and that is why the NAV feed will not display. I'm shooting in the dark here having not seen how the system works. However if the DVD player worked through the NAV screen before, that is where I would start. The dealer will not be thrilled to see this hack added, and you might do better at a stereo shop that would add something like what you have.

My $.05 worth.

Randy B
Old 09-15-07, 06:56 PM
vollandt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio shop in nyc to remove my add on toys?

Thanks Randy. Thay shot in the dark may have shed some light.

That makes total sense. I can’t remember the exact sequence of events, but the Nav stopped working around the same time I turned on the DVD for the first time.

I’d like to just have all of the add on toys removed (Bluetooth, alarm and dvd).
Does anyone know a good radio shop in nyc that can handle something like this?