LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Replacing ML subs

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-07, 06:05 PM
Stelth91
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing ML subs

I have some older(not too old) Bose sub boxes. I haven't looked at them yet because they are up at our lake house and this idea just came to me. Since I think the ML sub is under powered, I could replace the sub with the 2 in the Bose boxes. If the Boxes have two each, then i could put the other two in the trunk in a small sub box i could build. I am guessing the subs are 8-10 inch, and i would mount them behind the rear seats under the rear window, where i am pretty sure the ML sub is(Haven't really researched this yet). Would i need another amp or would the current ML amp be sufficient? and would this be a good idea for sub increase?
Old 10-02-07, 04:13 AM
awtrott
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stelth91
I have some older(not too old) Bose sub boxes. I haven't looked at them yet because they are up at our lake house and this idea just came to me. Since I think the ML sub is under powered, I could replace the sub with the 2 in the Bose boxes. If the Boxes have two each, then i could put the other two in the trunk in a small sub box i could build. I am guessing the subs are 8-10 inch, and i would mount them behind the rear seats under the rear window, where i am pretty sure the ML sub is(Haven't really researched this yet). Would i need another amp or would the current ML amp be sufficient? and would this be a good idea for sub increase?
There are several variances to consider when matching speaker to amplifiers and enclosures to ensure proper acoustic and bass response. My guess is that the OEM amp will be insufficient because it generally requires more power to get the full effect of the bass when in a closed trunk (keep in mind that the current sub is ported into the cabin). If you have good knowledge of acoustics then you may be able to find a sub that compliments the measurements of the trunk to get a bit more bass but my guess is Lexus have already calculated the best possible match. Also keep in mind that if you add a amp you will need one with a high impedance input since you will be tapping into the speaker wires which in this case is coming from the low output from the OEM amp that will require a good amount of power to reproduce in the added amp and will cause distortion that shortens the life of the attached speakers as you push more power to the speakers the get the sound out of the trunk. Given that it’s a bass speaker you won’t hear the distortion but the damage is still being done and will become obvisous over time.
Old 10-02-07, 04:32 AM
Stelth91
Driver

No, i mean like, mount them where the sub is now, but cut another hole for two. I could even take out the stock amp and get a 1000 watt Sony or something. I don't need to even use the stock wires, I've run wires through a car before, it's not too hard.
Old 10-02-07, 07:45 AM
awtrott
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stelth91
No, i mean like, mount them where the sub is now, but cut another hole for two. I could even take out the stock amp and get a 1000 watt Sony or something. I don't need to even use the stock wires, I've run wires through a car before, it's not too hard.
Ok. Cutting additional holes might not be an option because the deck has reinforcement groves and slots in place to maintain deck strength. When/if you cut into it you will weaken it especially with the added weight from the new speakers. This will cause lots of rattling from street bumps and worst from bass vibration. I addition you may find that your bass response gets worst depending on the type of speakers. Sorry to be so pessimistic but I would hate to see you cut into your car and end-up with undesired result with no recourse for reversing your action. I would encourage you to try a separate cabinet as oppose to cutting into your deck, of course sighting the issues I stated in my first response, but is the better of the options.