LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My LS overheated today

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-07, 06:14 PM
awtrott
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My LS overheated today

My A/C suddenly stopped cooling but without knowing the true reason I continued to drive only to discover later that the car was overheating which causes the A/C to shut down to prevent damage. I pulled over and investigated and discovered that the fan weren't spinning up. I suspected the cooling fans speed resistor and manipulated it some but without really knowing for sure it began to work thus allowing me to get it home. It has since malfunctioned again and seems to be intermittent. I’m a DIY kind a guy and am trying to figure to true case. Any Ideas?

Last edited by awtrott; 10-01-07 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-01-07, 07:20 PM
Stelth91
Driver

down in Georgia it get pretty hot right? i think you are either low on coolant or a clog somewhere in your system. You have a fairly new LS so i don't think it is your water pump, but that might be something to look at. Another thing it might be is a clogged thermostat(which lets coolant in and out of the engine). either have a mechanic take a look at those items or look up online on how to check them. i can post later (either tonight or tomorrow) with more info on how to check them after i look online myself. (my school has a sweet program called alldatapro. Every car since like 1970 with every procedure you can ever think of with steps on how to do it) i'll check tomorrow and post back here
Old 10-02-07, 03:38 AM
awtrott
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stelth91
down in Georgia it get pretty hot right? i think you are either low on coolant or a clog somewhere in your system. You have a fairly new LS so i don't think it is your water pump, but that might be something to look at. Another thing it might be is a clogged thermostat(which lets coolant in and out of the engine). either have a mechanic take a look at those items or look up online on how to check them. i can post later (either tonight or tomorrow) with more info on how to check them after i look online myself. (my school has a sweet program called alldatapro. Every car since like 1970 with every procedure you can ever think of with steps on how to do it) i'll check tomorrow and post back here

Thanks for your response but the problem is the with the cooling fan not coming on when the car is in slow moving traffic, at idle or at traffic lights, and is intermittent, which makes it that much harder to diagnose. As stated before I suspect the cooling fan resistor but need to be sure before purchase because the stealership want almost $400.00 for this part. I’m wondering if anyone have experienced cooling fan failure and resolution. Thanks again and any info you can provide to this is appreciated.
Old 10-02-07, 04:34 AM
Stelth91
Driver

I guess you can check the fuse before you buy anything. You don't really need the exact stock resistor, just get any electrical resistor that is the same impedance and make a mount for it.