LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Horse Power? (engine upgrade)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-07 | 09:06 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Its funny that most people wouldnt do anything to an LS430, where as I would even modify a 460 ! woot
Old 10-12-08 | 08:08 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

The S&S headers should be a direct bolt in with the stock exhaust.

The GS430, SC430 and LS430 all have the same exhaust manifolds. The S&S definitely fits the first two so should fit the LS430 as well.

Strong improvement in power, torque and feel.

The current thicker pipe design has had no cracking issues to date.

I found this thread while searching to see if anyone had done so yet. I am a bit surprised that nobody PM'd me on these questions.
Old 10-13-08 | 08:52 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jbrady
The S&S headers should be a direct bolt in with the stock exhaust.

The GS430, SC430 and LS430 all have the same exhaust manifolds. The S&S definitely fits the first two so should fit the LS430 as well.

Strong improvement in power, torque and feel.

The current thicker pipe design has had no cracking issues to date.

I found this thread while searching to see if anyone had done so yet. I am a bit surprised that nobody PM'd me on these questions.
Thanks for responding. Can you post some links to before and after dyno charts? Just looking at the convoluted stock exhaust system, I wouldn't be surprised to find that a good exhaust rework would yield some relatively decent power increases. Relatively being the key word, as it'd never be close to what forced induction could accomplish, but as bolt-on power-enhancing modifications on N/A engines go, it might bring decent results....
Old 10-13-08 | 11:39 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Thanks for responding. Can you post some links to before and after dyno charts? Just looking at the convoluted stock exhaust system, I wouldn't be surprised to find that a good exhaust rework would yield some relatively decent power increases. Relatively being the key word, as it'd never be close to what forced induction could accomplish, but as bolt-on power-enhancing modifications on N/A engines go, it might bring decent results....
Keep in mind that one of the BEST reasons for running the headers is how it makes the car react and feel while driving. Yes it is nice to gain power but if you do at the expense of driving FEEL what have you gained? All reports to date on these headers is positive on FEEL and response. The original design used 16 gauge steel and developed cracks after thousands of miles use. S&S upgraded to thicker 14 gauge steel and change the welding slightly and to date have no reports of any cracking since this improvement.

FYI, The stock 430 manifolds are TERRIBLE.

I posted the following on the Fujita F5 Air Intake thread:

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
What can a Headers, exhaust and intake yeild in one of these cars?
Pearlpower did a similar combo on his SC430 (same engine as LS430)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=66

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Before header installation with Blitz exhaust, SRT intake/ecu:

Best: (247hp, 256tq) Rear wheel=(309hp, 320TQ)Crank

AFTER header installation dyno with SRT intake/ECU, and Blitz exhaust

Best: (261hp, 278TQ) Rear Wheel=(326 hp,348TQ) Crank

The torque can be felt everywhere and the power band is very nice and progressive..

Worth it =YES!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by Pearlpower
I must say that driving the car is now really a pleasure as the increased power is very evident and intoxicating. The power is everywhere and I can actually feel the small of my back pressed in the seat. Never got close to that stock. This is going to be a very quick car once the gears,LSD, and TC are in.
Old 10-13-08 | 11:44 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

I have to say the stock exhaust itself after the manifolds works pretty darn good. Twin 2" pipes with the Y formed in a decent merge collector. Center diameter of 2.36" and then duals out the back. I would suggest NO more than 2.25" with 2.125" probably better. Actually, I recommend JUST doing headers and see for yourself before changing parts that really don't need changing at these power levels and for the application.

If you MUST change parts make sure you know WHY. Check backpressure at various points. If it is just sound and look that is desired replacing the final mufflers with something like Dynomax ultras is a good start.
Old 10-13-08 | 02:31 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks a lot for the information, well he said he made 247 with intake and ecu upgrade from SRT......im very confused at that number...my car made 241 to the wheels with no mods and a dirty air filter!! Seems like the best route to go will be to get a charger or a small turbo setup to really wake up these cars!!
Old 10-13-08 | 02:34 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twojayzee
Its funny that most people wouldnt do anything to an LS430, where as I would even modify a 460 ! woot
Well thats what make us different from others, Modify even a KIA RIO!!!LOL
Old 10-13-08 | 08:00 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
Thanks a lot for the information, well he said he made 247 with intake and ecu upgrade from SRT......im very confused at that number...my car made 241 to the wheels with no mods and a dirty air filter!! Seems like the best route to go will be to get a charger or a small turbo setup to really wake up these cars!!
Different car, dyno, tire/wheel combo, etc. Don't get hung up on the before number as much as the gain AND the fun to drive factor.

Certainly forced induction could be very interesting but VERY expensive and with the untunable nature of the factory ECU very unpredictable results.
Old 10-14-08 | 02:29 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jbrady
Different car, dyno, tire/wheel combo, etc. Don't get hung up on the before number as much as the gain AND the fun to drive factor.

Certainly forced induction could be very interesting but VERY expensive and with the untunable nature of the factory ECU very unpredictable results.
im not saying that i will be modding my car anytime soon.....maybe one day in the near future lilke 3 years from now if i still have the car! until then i will have to do with the supra and the evo!!
Old 10-14-08 | 09:38 PM
lowandslow
Driver School Candidate

http://www.ststurbo.com/home

Check them out if you want to boost an LS without spending $12k. I met a guy who had one of their kits on a 2005 GMC Sierra truck, and it sounds beautiful on a V8.... Helped his gas mileage a little bit and of course gave him somewhere around an extra 50-70 hp safely...

IMHO, I don't see anything wrong with modifying "most" cars, especially no issue with modifying an expensive luxury car... If i was the only one who believed that, then companies like brabus, lorinser, amg, RUF, techart, MTM, Abt, WALD, TOM's, Fabulous, Etc. wouldn't exist.

Heck, on your tube you can find a video of a VIP style 05 Celsior with a built 2JZTE dropped into it.

Some people absolutely believe in keeping a car as "stock" as possible, and some are all about "show" and some "go." At the end of the day, we are all on these forums because we look to share our individual experiences with our cars with the community and to both take from and give to the community at the same time.

My intentions aren't to call anyone out or offend anyone, but once again, it's just my personal opinion.
Old 10-16-08 | 10:53 PM
lowandslow
Driver School Candidate

Any one checked out STS yet?

Was just wondering what some thoughts were...
Old 10-17-08 | 08:37 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lowandslow
Any one checked out STS yet?

Was just wondering what some thoughts were...
STS has been around a while. They dont offer anything specific to the LS but its a simple design. I did something similar on a honda about 17 years ago.
Im still curious how much power the 5spd auto tranny will take before it takes a dump.
Old 10-17-08 | 10:12 PM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

has there been any ls430 that has been turboed before?
Old 10-17-08 | 10:24 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

^^ most likely there has been.. if only every LS430 enthusiast was on CL
Old 10-20-08 | 07:50 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Here are some pictures of the S&S headers with stock catalysts bolted on

Here compared next to the HORRIBLE stock 430 exhaust manifolds.

Quick Reply: Horse Power? (engine upgrade)