LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

req. Buying advice: 01 LS430 Ultra 75k miles for $16k (Lexus dealer) w/issues (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-07, 12:44 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Deal or No Deal!

Originally Posted by b8b
You're right, I shouldn't do this one and am not. Thank you for your time-tested advice

How about this: 2001 LS430 Ultra black/black 110k miles, body in great shape, garage kept, undercarriage washed in car wash on occasion, some major services done at Lexus but mostly at a mechanic, newer tires and brakes, timing belt inspected as good but not changed.

It's in great condition but has spent it's life in a chicago suburb. It is a two owner, but both were ladies in their 40's-50's (they know eachother) - clean carfax, her story checks out, only thing wrong with it is the driver's side power-mirror won't fold in.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
This one sounds ok, if you can get them to do the timing belt its cool. If you dont mind paying for it then thats ok if its in your financial rannge. How much is this car. I myself have a 2001 LS430 with 85,000 miles going on 86,000 miles and Im not selling it but I have no issues with my car.

Did you find this car on ebay? Were have youbeen looking for your cars, with private sellers? If so you can find gret deals on the cars that way. Keep looking if you have until monday. When you find what you truly want you wont feel the need to ask what we at Club Lexus think, youll simply post pictures of your new car. When its right its right and the wy right feels is not explained in words but by our actions.

Trust me youll find what you want soon just a little patience will find the right car. The car in question doesnt sound bad though, no major problems and two older owners is always good in most cases. Service records are probably the most important issues with used cars. You can have a 45,000 mile car with a lack of services done on it that is alot worse of than a 100,000 mile car with all the services done on it.

You are going to find your car soon bro.

Love GOD not money!
Old 11-17-07, 01:02 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile deal or No Deal!

Originally Posted by b8b
You're right, I shouldn't do this one and am not. Thank you for your time-tested advice

How about this: 2001 LS430 Ultra black/black 110k miles, body in great shape, garage kept, undercarriage washed in car wash on occasion, some major services done at Lexus but mostly at a mechanic, newer tires and brakes, timing belt inspected as good but not changed.

It's in great condition but has spent it's life in a chicago suburb. It is a two owner, but both were ladies in their 40's-50's (they know eachother) - clean carfax, her story checks out, only thing wrong with it is the driver's side power-mirror won't fold in.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Also the power window is something minor in my opinion to fix as opposed to the air suspension. The only risk is no warranty but at over 100,000 miles if you do your services on time you will only have normal wear and tear. The 1st Lexus you asked the Club about already had a suspension issue at far less miles.

If I compare the 2 cars the 100,000 mile car has had less issues and the timing belt is in good condition.I suggest if you by this deal not to wait more than 4-6 months before changing the timing belt though. They are costly if you dont replace them before they brake.

Find a few cars and compare to find the best deal. Less miles doesnt mean better car if service isnt up to date. My 2001 drives like its still 2001. For the most part Toyota has made very reliable Luxury car from the ES to the LX truck. That being sad even the one with the suspension being bad isnt a bad deal, you just cant use that feature, its still functional.

You have to decide what is best for you if you like the 1st car deal, take it but know that youll have to repair the suspension. The good thing is the warranty your getting for 4 years. I didnt want to talk you out of that deal just wanted you to see if it is the best deal you can find! thats why patience is key just in cse you come across a better del than the 1 st one.

The thing is if you have the money to buy a car you never have to rush. The power to purchase is always within your hands until you exchange cash or check for title!

Good Fortune

Love GOD not money!
Old 11-17-07, 01:19 PM
b8b
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your advice, encouragement and time, Usermel.

Purchase price on this one is $15,700 but $300 for a plane ticket and $150 for gas/expenses for the drive home. KBB trade-in is $15,880 in good condition (I am only buying at or below KBB trade-in, unless NADA or Edmunds shows lower). She's not going to do the timing belt, personal seller, has someone coming to look at the car to buy tomorrow if I don't want to buy today. Had it listed on Craigslist.org for $16,900, she's very nice and was patient and honest with me.

Although the carfax was clean, she did say it had been in two minor "fender-benders" where the front bumper, headlight and hood was replaced in one and the bumper in the other (neither her fault) - she owns an insurance agency and she took it to a collision place they refer a lot of business to and feels they did an extra-special job for her and she says it looks good as new, and I really feel she is being quite honest.

I search on eBay, cars.com, autotrader, Google's new car search (alpha, hard to find, doesn't work too well sometimes), and crazedlist.org to search Craigslist.org nationwide - I have bought and sold my last two cars on Craigslist and did well with both (made a profit on each after driving until I wasn't into it).

My goal is simple: buy a reliable, nice car and be able to drive it for a year or more and sell it for what I have in it and do it again. Now that I can afford the LS, I think I want to stick with just these cars

Here's the pics
I don't like black interior as it feels less roomy to me and also tends to show wear more (imo) and I don't like black exterior as it requires more care, but I do like black best on cars, but more so when other people maintain it (haha).
Old 11-17-07, 01:27 PM
b8b
Rookie

hmmm... looking harder at the pictures, does it look like it is sagging at the back end? The lady who owns it said she never messed with the ride height control, just left it standard.
Old 11-17-07, 01:36 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Deal or No Deal!

Originally Posted by b8b

Purchase price on this one is $15,700 but $300 for a plane ticket and $150 for gas/expenses for the drive home. KBB trade-in is $15,880 in good condition (I am only buying at or below KBB trade-in, unless NADA or Edmunds shows lower). She's not going to do the timing belt, personal seller, has someone coming to look at the car to buy tomorrow if I don't want to buy today. Had it listed on Craigslist.org for $16,900, she's very nice and was patient and honest with me.

Although the carfax was clean, she did say it had been in two minor "fender-benders" where the front bumper, headlight and hood was replaced in one and the bumper in the other (neither her fault) - she owns an insurance agency and she took it to a collision place they refer a lot of business to and feels they did an extra-special job for her and she says it looks good as new, and I really feel she is being quite honest.

I search on eBay, cars.com, autotrader, Google's new car search (alpha, hard to find, doesn't work too well sometimes), and crazedlist.org to search Craigslist.org nationwide - I have bought and sold my last two cars on Craigslist and did well with both (made a profit on each after driving until I wasn't into it).

My goal is simple: buy a reliable, nice car and be able to drive it for a year or more and sell it for what I have in it and do it again. Now that I can afford the LS, I think I want to stick with just these cars

Here's the pics
I don't like black interior as it feels less roomy to me and also tends to show wear more (imo) and I don't like black exterior as it requires more care, but I do like black best on cars, but more so when other people maintain it (haha).
Wow, this car looks so great man, not a bad deal. You have to spend a bit to get there but it could be worth it. Again, no major problems with the car, I think the folding mirror is no issue because who really needs to fold there mirrors really. Before that feature I never thought about it myself. And she was honest, at least we think she was honest I"ll give her the benefit of the doubt.

Not a bad del at all and the black or so great when clean. A good buff and wax to smooth out any fine scratches and its like brand new. I have sheepskin seatcovers so interior is a none issue for me. The sheepskin is a great seat protector by the way. Wouldnt suggest you get it though. JUst by the Lexus cleaner and conditioner the dealer sells and you"ll be fine.

Good shopping bro!

Love GOD not money.
Old 11-17-07, 01:43 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Deal or No Deal!

Originally Posted by b8b

Here's the pics
Wow, this car looks so great man, not a bad deal. You have to spend a bit to get there but it could be worth it. Again, no major problems with the car, I think the folding mirror is no issue because who really needs to fold there mirrors really. Before that feature I never thought about it myself. And she was honest, at least we think she was honest I"ll give her the benefit of the doubt.

Not a bad del at all and the black or so great when clean. A good buff and wax to smooth out any fine scratches and its like brand new. I have sheepskin seatcovers so interior is a none issue for me. The sheepskin is a great seat protector by the way. Wouldnt suggest you get it though. JUst by the Lexus cleaner and conditioner the dealer sells and you"ll be fine.

Good shopping bro!

Love GOD not money.
Old 11-17-07, 01:54 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Deal or No Deal!

Originally Posted by b8b
hmmm... looking harder at the pictures, does it look like it is sagging at the back end? The lady who owns it said she never messed with the ride height control, just left it standard.
Looks fine, better if you see it in person. Thats probably the way the picture makes it look. These cars are pretty solid even after repairs. Maybe if you see it with a bigger picture from all angles you can better tell. I guess your search for the car you want continues if your not comfortable remember, dont do it.

Love GOD not money
Old 11-17-07, 01:57 PM
b8b
Rookie

Thank you once again, Usermel.

I am feeling fairly comfortable; my only concern is the air suspension in general, reading on the forums here makes me think that issues are simply inevitable. I wish they made the LS with the Ultra package but without air suspension. Sigh. I guess I don't *need* the UL package anyway, just thought it would be nice. I can't seem to find any in this price range even without it, though.
Old 11-17-07, 02:28 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Deal or No Deal!

Originally Posted by b8b
Thank you once again, Usermel.

I am feeling fairly comfortable; my only concern is the air suspension in general, reading on the forums here makes me think that issues are simply inevitable. I wish they made the LS with the Ultra package but without air suspension. Sigh. I guess I don't *need* the UL package anyway, just thought it would be nice. I can't seem to find any in this price range even without it, though.

I hear ya, the ultra is the best/tops out there to own. I have marklev/nav package and its all I need. Notice I said need. This is another part of the purchasing process thats important. I got what I needed and saved 5 grand in the process. Now if you truly want tht ultra you have to buy an ultra bro. You"ll regret it if you buy anything other than that. Me, Im a business man, in my sleep and when Im awake. So my chioces are based on the best business choice.

This explains my purchased being based on need first then want. You on the other hand should buy based on want first. You seem like your purchase is more abut you really wanting an ultra and theres nothing wrong with that. Have I ever bought a car based on want? Yes, I got my 1st three cars because I wanted them. As time and age went on it became based on need. Thats me, your happiness is most important and thats what matters most.

So if the ultra is what you want pay more because when buying what we want we feel less unhappy when buying certain items. Dont give up on you wanting the ultra. If you dont want the ultra anymore cool, but if you do get it and pay more for what you want.

Love GOD not money
Old 11-17-07, 05:16 PM
b8b
Rookie

I bought it! woohoo!
I'm picking it up Monday.

Thanks again for your advice!!
Old 11-17-07, 05:39 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Oh!

Originally Posted by b8b
I bought it! woohoo!
I'm picking it up Monday.

Thanks again for your advice!!
There are places/companies you can still buy a warranty from for cheaper also. Do a google search on car warranties and see if you can find a warranty for your new purchase yourself. May find a great warranty on your own.

CONGRATS ON THE NEW CAR!

Love GOD not money!
Old 11-17-07, 07:10 PM
b8b
Rookie

Thanks for the tip. I've purchased extended warranties for all but two of the last 6 cars I recall owning, and they all paid for themselves. However, I haven't found any good "exclusionary" (the better ones) that will cover cars over 60k miles, and certainly not over 100k, but I'll keep looking.
Old 11-17-07, 07:37 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Ok! GO!

Originally Posted by b8b
Thanks for the tip. I've purchased extended warranties for all but two of the last 6 cars I recall owning, and they all paid for themselves. However, I haven't found any good "exclusionary" (the better ones) that will cover cars over 60k miles, and certainly not over 100k, but I'll keep looking.
All the best, hope the car works out bro. They are fun cars to own. I think my next LS will be an ultra also. I was thinking of a new LS460 but I have gained affection for the LS430. I had that same love for the 2nd generation LS400. Now I like the LS430 and even though I dig the LS460/600 I still think for the buck/$ the LS430 2001-2006 is a great buy.

I might get a 2003-2005 model year ultra luxury. I'm going Certified Pre-Owned.

All the best on the new ride, hope it works out.