LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

req. Buying advice: 01 LS430 Ultra 75k miles for $16k (Lexus dealer) w/issues (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-07, 08:35 AM
b8b
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default req. Buying advice: 01 LS430 Ultra 75k miles for $16k (Lexus dealer) w/issues (pics)

I respectfully and gratefully request your advice before I buy this Lexus:

It is a 2001 LS430 Ultra Luxury package with 75k miles for $16,000 from a Lexus dealer. It has lots of scratches and a seriously deep one on the drivers door (see pics). After the Lexus dealer performed a 280-point dealer inspection, here are the issues they found:
1. right-rear shock (air ride) is "going out" and will "likely fail within a year" but "you can't tell by looking or by the ride"
2. windshield has a crack in it - if you look in the pictures (I know, they're not good, that is what they sent me, they are 900 miles away or I would have taken them myself) it looks like the crack won't get worse and isn't illegal in most states, doesn't bother me for now.
3. battery is dying

They offered to fix the windshield and the battery, but the suspension is my problem. It's a one-owner and the 60k AND 75k mile service was performed at this dealership, all service was done there as well and I have a whole list of service records.

So what do you think, is this a good deal even with the body damage and suspension issue? Your advice is greatly appreciated, I have always loved Lexus and am only now choosing to afford one for myself (I bought a nice house for the family first ). Thanks in advance!

B.

pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/icurme/2001LexusLS430
Old 11-16-07, 08:51 AM
ivan67
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I think that this is a very good leal. I just bought a 2003 ls430 ultra last week from a broker in Florida and had been watching the prices very closely through ebay. If you are getting this from a lexus dealer with service records I would take it.
Old 11-16-07, 10:12 AM
b8b
Rookie

Thanks for your response, Ivan67.

You would still recommend this even though it has some damage and the suspension has issues? I'm trying to get a reliable car (always loved Lexus!) and not have to spend a lot on repairs so I can do upgrades instead
Old 11-16-07, 11:46 AM
ivan67
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by b8b
Thanks for your response, Ivan67.

You would still recommend this even though it has some damage and the suspension has issues? I'm trying to get a reliable car (always loved Lexus!) and not have to spend a lot on repairs so I can do upgrades instead
I would. I'm sure you have looked at this already but the Kelly Blue Book trade in value for the car is quite a bit higher than 16K See link below
http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Pric...uizConditions=

A few repairs are already built in to the price. The lowest 2001 ls430 I have seen sold on ebay was around 15,800 . I just paid $20,300 for a 2003 Ultra with 69,000 miles on it. I had to replace the rear subwoofer for $89 and I just spent $180 on a spare key since I only got one with the car. Considering that the car you are buying had the expensive ($1200) 60k service done on it, I don't think that you will find a cheaper car out there, especially for an ultra which can be hard to find. Good luck with everything
Old 11-16-07, 11:56 AM
b8b
Rookie

Ivan, thanks again for your post. The link you provided was for a 2003 with 72k miles. Mine is a 2001 with 75k. I have already looked on KBB, NADA and Edmunds, of course... the value is there, but not with the considerable body damage. I am still trying to decide, and I have only a few hours before I need to buy plane tickets to go get it (had a nightmare of a time getting an MDX delivered to the midwest from FL over summer, only ever going to pick up my cars, if possible).
Old 11-16-07, 01:36 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Deal or No Deal!

I wouldnt do it. It is your choice though. I see why you have asked your fellow members for advice, your not sure. I think being unsure is a sign not to do it! There are other car deals out there and if you buy this car and regret it later none of us will be responsible for the fixing of any problems, you will. I would if it were me, pay a little more($20,000) for less problems for the same car.

Air suspension is not small issue and I imagine its very costly. My motto is because of bad decisions in the past, you pay for what you get! If its in your budget to spend a little more for the piece of mind. If your thinking of the possibility of future problems your piece of mind has been destroyed!

Anyway whatever you decide I hope it works out and you have NO problems with this car when you or if you buy it. If you decide to look around a bit more I hope you find a car that gives you piece of mind when you purchase it.

Love GOD not money!
Old 11-16-07, 02:17 PM
ivan67
Driver School Candidate

Have you been checking on ebay? This one ends today and looks awfully clean for the money. Not an ultra but it's a year newer with less miles. Good luck with everything

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-LS...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-16-07, 02:22 PM
b8b
Rookie

Yeah, I bid on it. I've searched completed auctions as well, just to check ebay market prices. This one is much cleaner and a beautiful color combo and does have less miles, but is lacking the ultra lux package and nav. Tough.

I got a call from the dealer, they will sell it for $15,600 and fix the windshield and sell me an extended 2yr./24k mile warranty for an additional $1,245 (cost? they said MSRP was over $2400)... but the warranty doesn't cover the struts, and that is what they said the problem is.

Here's the inspection report, very difficult to read though. sigh.

Last edited by b8b; 11-16-07 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-16-07, 02:36 PM
b8b
Rookie

Originally Posted by ivan67
I just paid $20,300 for a 2003 Ultra with 69,000 miles on it.
I would buy a deal like that today if I could find one... I suppose I could stretch a few more thousand for a much newer car. Arg. I'm torn.
Old 11-16-07, 02:39 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Deal or No Deal!

Originally Posted by b8b
Yeah, I bid on it. I've searched completed auctions as well, just to check ebay market prices. This one is much cleaner and a beautiful color combo and does have less miles, but is lacking the ultra lux package and nav. Tough.

I got a call from the dealer, they will sell it for $15,800 and fix the windshield and sell me an extended 2yr./24k mile warranty for an additional $1,245 (cost? they said MSRP was over $2400)... but the warranty doesn't cover the struts, and that is what they said the problem is.
Sounds fishy, first rule of business is ti sell for a profit. Their are no deals in reality. I see your still not comfortable with this deal. If your not dont do it. The reason he's giving you the extended warranty is clear. He knws it will be hard to move the car with those problems. Check this out, what would he have given you on trade in for the same car!

If the warranty was free I would take it then. You assume the risk with the suspension being lready an issue. If he gives you the car for $15,800 and gives you the 2 year warranty bumper to bumper, do the deal. If not, its to risky, seems very fishy what he's proposing to you bro, be careful!

Again its your choice but I here a bit of pre-buyers remorse before you even sign the deal. Yu inner istinct is telling you no thats why your hesitant. Don't do it unless your 100% sure. If you decide to buy that lemon beware.

Love GOD not money!
Old 11-16-07, 02:53 PM
b8b
Rookie

Thanks for your empathy, Usermel... I just need a car ASAP and there's no better deal to be had right now and I REALLY need an amazing deal if I am to afford/justify this purchase. Thanks for your advice.
Old 11-16-07, 03:12 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Deal or No Deal!

Originally Posted by b8b
Thanks for your empathy, Usermel... I just need a car ASAP and there's no better deal to be had right now and I REALLY need an amazing deal if I am to afford/justify this purchase. Thanks for your advice.
I could hear that bro in your text. Thats how they got me years ago, I really needed a car and felt un sure about the deal. I did it anyway and need I say anymore, it was a disaster. So much wrong with the car that it was a crime. I was fortunate that the warranty still applied, thats why I suggest doing the deal with the warranty included with the car at the $15,800.

We as consumers forget our bargaining power times. Hold strong a bit if you can. Add in the warranty and you are at about $17,045, thats close to $20,000 for a better ride and no rel issues trust me bro Ive owned the S430 the ML500 and so many Lexus' I cant count them. Your better of taking the weekend and searching on line a bit more like Ivan is somewhat suggesting by finding you other dels that are out there.

This is what ClubLexus is about not just viewing nice cars and talking about what weve purchased. Its about helping fellow members who cared enough about Lexus' and cared enough to join the club. Your the steward over the money that you spend, spend it with wisdom. This deal isnt fair to you bro.

You assume all the risk, so paying for the warranty leves the dealer scott free of any responsibility. Again had you traded in a car in that condition scratches and failed air suspension they wouldnt be as kind to you as your being to them.

If you decide to buy though I understand because you sound like you really need a car. Remember patience is the sign of true wisdom, a better deal rather it be this car or another is up to you!

Love GOD not money
Old 11-16-07, 10:10 PM
b8b
Rookie

ok, deal is finalized:
$15,800 and I get a new windshield and tail lights fixed.
$2550 for a 4 year / 48,000 mile GMAC extended warranty with $0 deductible

I am leaning towards doing it because I think I can at least get my money out of it and it means I can pay cash and finally have a Lexus. They also have a 2004 certified with 47k miles and nav (no ultra lux) for $26k but that's $10k more and I would have to finance. Hmmmm. Any other advice for me? It really means a lot to me. Thanks!
Old 11-17-07, 12:28 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Deal or No Deal!

Originally Posted by b8b
ok, deal is finalized:
$15,800 and I get a new windshield and tail lights fixed.
$2550 for a 4 year / 48,000 mile GMAC extended warranty with $0 deductible

I am leaning towards doing it because I think I can at least get my money out of it and it means I can pay cash and finally have a Lexus. They also have a 2004 certified with 47k miles and nav (no ultra lux) for $26k but that's $10k more and I would have to finance. Hmmmm. Any other advice for me? It really means a lot to me. Thanks!
Sounds like your cool with the deal on the table. I still feel they should have gave you the 2 year warranty for free, I guess they raised the deal to a 4 year warranty or did you negotiate that yourself. I guess the most important thing is your total comfort with the deal, thats most important again your the on e who will be paying for the car.

Me myself I'd go certified pre-owned if I could. That fact of the matter is its your choice, and I respect that. Its just something about that air suspension not being fixed that doesnt fell right. Also, I understand you not wanting to have to finance but, if you can look round this Saturday one more day, is that possible or must you have the car right now.

I have never suggested anyone buy anything, a car,tv,bike etc. that is already needing repair. When your talking a luxury car surely I dont suggest that. In this case I think youve pretty much made you choice and if you feel good about it other peoples (like me) opinions shouldnt matter its your money and you need nobodies input at the end of the day on how you spend it.

Anyway if you dont have to have it right,right now. Look around a bit and do some searches around for the car you desire . If your time for looking has ended go for the car you think works now. Me myself, ive learned after 34 years of life through trial and error that patience gets you more in all aspects of life. Cars are large important purchases, not investment wise being they depreciate. Nonetheless, they are among the top priced items we by in our lifetimes.

Again whatever your choice I surely hope the best for the car if you buy it. I hope there are no issues even with the warranty my man.

Best of fortune

Love GOD not money
Old 11-17-07, 12:24 PM
b8b
Rookie

You're right, I shouldn't do this one and am not. Thank you for your time-tested advice

How about this: 2001 LS430 Ultra black/black 110k miles, body in great shape, garage kept, undercarriage washed in car wash on occasion, some major services done at Lexus but mostly at a mechanic, newer tires and brakes, timing belt inspected as good but not changed.

It's in great condition but has spent it's life in a chicago suburb. It is a two owner, but both were ladies in their 40's-50's (they know eachother) - clean carfax, her story checks out, only thing wrong with it is the driver's side power-mirror won't fold in.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: req. Buying advice: 01 LS430 Ultra 75k miles for $16k (Lexus dealer) w/issues (pics)