04 ls430 purchase advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-07, 06:02 AM
BeBeBloo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 ls430 purchase advise

Hi all,

I currently have an 00 LS400 plat. edition and want to add an LS430. I found a nice 04 LS430 in good condition and having around 30000miles but i'm worried of some stuff hence I need you're advise. This car has "tire pressure" error due to one tire having 25psi and the rest at 28psi. after filling up all tires to 29psi (is 29psi enough?), error didn't go away so I reinitialized the tire monitor by pressing the tire set button beneath the steering wheel and the error went away but after a couple miles of driving, the error came back again. when I checked the tire pressure, it's fine. Also, I checked the height from ground to tip of the wheel well arch on each side and the rears have about 0.4cm discrepancy being that the right is higher than the left by 0.4cm. fronts are about the same with little difference only. should I be worried of this and go look for another vehicle? Is this possibly caused by a suspension defect of some sort? Could both my dilemas be interconnected some sort? Thanks in advance and have a great weekend.

Pat
Old 11-25-07, 06:18 AM
Raph TT
Pole Position

I would suggest a independant used car Buyers Check-up.. (if they do stuff like that in the states?) if the Seller is honest,he shouldnt have a problem with letting you do that..

0.4cm? hmm its not that much is a spring sagging?(only 30 000 miles?) are the tires on the car identical?

Im asking because some tire pressure indicators measure Tire pressure, others rely on the Cars ABS speed sensors to see if the dynamic circumfrence of the tires are the same at any given speed (a flat tire would have a different circumfrence)

Im not sure what system lexus uses.

I say,have a dealer check it out.
Old 11-25-07, 06:28 AM
BeBeBloo
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. At 30,000miles, sagging springs possibly but pretty doubtful due to the mileage but you never know when things just go wrong. I was thinking it has to do with the gas tank being empty but the filler is on the left side. I will try fill up the tank full tomorrow to see if what difference it makes. I haven't raised the vehicle so I don't know where exactly the tank is sitting. The tires are all michelins and they are still in ok condition with average thread left, sizes are all the same too with factory chrome rims. in terms of alignment, I don't see uneven or abnormal treadwear from each wheel. anyways, i'll take you're advice and have a dealer run a check on it or and independent shop take a look and see what they have to say about it. Thanks again.

Pat
Old 11-25-07, 08:21 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just pressing the button doesn't "initialize" the system, it just clears the error message. You must hold the button in. You must get the "Pressure Initial" message on the display. That fixed the recuring error on my '04 LS.

It's in the Owners Manual (2004LS, Pg 98):

"After replacing tires or wheels, adjust all 4 tires to specified pressure and initialize the tire pressure warning system. To initialize the system, turn the ignition switch to "ON" and push the tire pressure warning system reset switch for longer than 3 seconds with the vehicle stopped. The following message appears

" ! Pressure Initial "

Don't just do a quick press of the button to get rid of the warning, in other words. The system must be initialized.
Old 11-25-07, 08:21 AM
ivan67
Driver School Candidate

Does the car have the standard suspension or the air suspension? If it is the air suspension then the height differential is easily adjustable.
Old 11-25-07, 02:16 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Also the tires pressure need to be at least 32 psi if it is 17" rims and 35 psi for 18" rims
Originally Posted by ayonnebay
Just pressing the button doesn't "initialize" the system, it just clears the error message. You must hold the button in. You must get the "Pressure Initial" message on the display. That fixed the recuring error on my '04 LS.

It's in the Owners Manual (2004LS, Pg 98):

"After replacing tires or wheels, adjust all 4 tires to specified pressure and initialize the tire pressure warning system. To initialize the system, turn the ignition switch to "ON" and push the tire pressure warning system reset switch for longer than 3 seconds with the vehicle stopped. The following message appears

" ! Pressure Initial "

Don't just do a quick press of the button to get rid of the warning, in other words. The system must be initialized.
Old 11-25-07, 03:09 PM
BeBeBloo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for alll your replies. The vehicle is still here with me so I will pump up the tires to 32psi or 33psi and do the reinitialization process as mentioned above and will get back to you after this is done. The said vehicle does not have air suspension as I don't have the "norm - sport" button beside the power button. By the vin, is there a way to check online what suspension I got on this car? I heard there was also a "Euro tuned suspension" for this model, it would be nice to know what I would be getting. Thanks very much.

Pat

Last edited by BeBeBloo; 11-25-07 at 03:13 PM.