LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Which mobile video unit for the Navigation screen should I install on a 2003 LS430?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-07, 04:46 PM
canbrass
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which mobile video unit for the Navigation screen should I install on a 2003 LS430?

Hey all,

I've been doing some research about which mobile video unit I should install in my LS430. Here's what I've got so far:

Vaistech SL2Vi: Great item for only $350, but only allows for video iPod integration only. I want to use a DVD player with TV tuner that utilizes standard composite video with L/R audio. Vaistech says that they may come out with a unit in the future that would a video input.

Lockpick: From what I can tell, it looks like it doesn't work on the 03 and older LS430s. If anyone has any different information, please let me know.

Avelectronics Multi Audio/Video switcher: It fits in the trunk, is plug & play, and has 4 video/audio inputs. Sounds great, but the price is $550. This one is the most expensive unit I've found.

Avelectronics Navigation Video/Camera switcher. For only $250, this is the unit I'm leaning the most toward. The only drawback is that from the picture of it on the web site, it looks like there is only one channel of audio input. I don't know if that would make a difference over the ML sound system.

Nav-TV RGBLEX+: This one is $350, is plug & play and has 2 video inputs, but there is no audio out to the ML stereo. It is through FM modulation. May not be too bad of an idea, but I don't know the pros or cons of an audio setup like this.

Let me know what you guys think. Please post what you like or dislike about the video setup you have in your current car. Thanks

-Canbrass
Old 11-28-07, 09:03 PM
spender
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great list - thanks for compiling.
Old 11-29-07, 06:41 AM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Trust me when I say, spend the money and do it right the first time. From what you have just listed, you should get the Avelectronics Multi Audio/Video switcher. It does everything you want it to. For the other Avelectronics switcher, it only has a mono audio output and wont sould great if watching a moive. For Nav-TV one, the sound quality would be lost over an FM channel. You could also recieve a lot of feedback and static from a setup like this.