Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

04 LS 430 vs 04 s class

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-07, 11:32 AM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 LS 430 vs 04 s class

Time to sell the LS400 and upgrade. Reliability wise I know Lexus has the upper hand. But does the s class have that many problems? Looking to keep it only about 2/3 years. I'm looking into a S500. Given that I'm only looking to keep it short term what would you guys suggest? It would be a great help if any S class owners can chime in and tell me their experiences.
Old 12-10-07, 11:35 AM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Oh and also, I've heard the LS430 is very boring to drive. Is this true? I've yet to test drive one.
Old 12-10-07, 11:46 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LeXuSrAcIn
Oh and also, I've heard the LS430 is very boring to drive. Is this true? I've yet to test drive one.
Well it depends what you mean by "boring". What LS430 has to offer is an extreme buffer between road and driver, by design. The ride is extremely cushioned, steering feel muted, very smooth shifting, low road noise and low engine noise. As I mentioned before on this forum, it's almost as if the LS drives itself.

I don't consider it a "boring" car personally because the above features are what I got my LS for. I got it to be a car that couldn't be easier to drive during commutes, and it also offers more than enough power (esp. low-end torque) to allow bursts of speed when necessary.

I can certainly understand how others could perceive it to be "boring" if they're looking for a vehicle that will satisfy other wants, such as performance or road feel, and I would not recommend the car for people who want that out of their vehicles. It's just not what the LS was made for.
Old 12-10-07, 12:56 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I've test drove many S500, S430s before purchasing my 04 LS430 UL. After visiting the Mercedes forum and reading about all the issue the S class are having and the cost of each visits avg $1k, I went with a Lexus. I've own a Mercedes SL and I can confirm each repair visit was indeed around $1k if not more. If you do decide on the Mercedes, make sure its still under warranty. That is why you see so many Mercedes and BMW's out there that are 3 to 4 years old, once the warranty expires, it time to dump it.

I am going to agree that the LS is a bit "boring". In a sense that it doesn't really stands out an say "Yo, look at me", and I don't mind that one bit. I got it for the comfort and power of an ugly daily commute (though its only a 15 mile drive, it can take up to an hour to get home due to heavy traffic). To spice the look up a bit, you can add wheels, lowering, tinting, etc. For shear reliability and very little out of pocket expense, go for the Lexus.
Old 12-10-07, 07:51 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile LS430 or S430

Originally Posted by LeXuSrAcIn
I have owned both cars and still own my LS430. When you talk about boring if comparing to the S430,no contest the S430 wins by a mile in my opinion. I find that an honest opinion on this site is hard to find being most here including me love Lexus'.

I have to admit besides the technical problems I had with the S430 the excitement I felt when I drove it(S430) is not in question. That being said if for 2-3 years you want reliability there is no contest, the LS430 wins in a landslide.

I have diehard Mercedes Benz driving friends and they say despite the technical issues the would by a S-class over the LS of any year including recent years(2007) models. Its there opinion that the sporty drive of the Benz of any model(C,E,S-class) is what they want.

Thats what it boils down to preference, if you want a exciting ride get a S430. If you want reliability and sportiness get a SC430 or even a GS. The LS 430 is a car that I feel is you either get it or you dont. We on this forum (LS forum) get it. I say buy what you want to pay cash for or finance, because opinions in this case come from what we feel not what you feel, and what you feel is most important its you hard earned money. All the best on your choice.

L.G.N.M
Old 12-10-07, 08:00 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Also,I agree with Airtime and Gengar!

Originally Posted by airtime
I've test drove many S500, S430s before purchasing my 04 LS430 UL. After visiting the Mercedes forum and reading about all the issue the S class are having and the cost of each visits avg $1k, I went with a Lexus. I've own a Mercedes SL and I can confirm each repair visit was indeed around $1k if not more. If you do decide on the Mercedes, make sure its still under warranty. That is why you see so many Mercedes and BMW's out there that are 3 to 4 years old, once the warranty expires, it time to dump it.

I am going to agree that the LS is a bit "boring". In a sense that it doesn't really stands out an say "Yo, look at me", and I don't mind that one bit. I got it for the comfort and power of an ugly daily commute (though its only a 15 mile drive, it can take up to an hour to get home due to heavy traffic). To spice the look up a bit, you can add wheels, lowering, tinting, etc. For shear reliability and very little out of pocket expense, go for the Lexus.
You both make great points. The car(LS430) is a great car for less problems. I was at the dealership with my brand new 2001 S-class in a 9 month period 9 times. Made a switch to the ML500 and it had 7 technical issues. Ive had Benz owners tell me they would have kept the S-class anyway. I just felt that a luxury car shouldnt have that many issues. So I went back to Lexus after leaving for a year.

L.G.N.M
Old 12-11-07, 07:38 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Most of the people I know say that MB is a very sensitive and problematic car. Its not the motor or tranny, but mostly other things, like suspension parts, air ride, and little electrical gremlins.
Friend of mine worked in a Limo company driving a S500, regular version. And had to take the car to the shop often. things like windows not opening, lights not working.

Those are all little bugs that you have to think about. Parts are very expensive, and service too, unless you go to a private mechanic.
Each shock, strut is $1000, then there is a pump that costs and arm and a leg too.

If you want a reliable, trouble free luxury car, LS 430 is the car.
S500 is much more fun, drives like a German car and looks a bit better, if you get the Sport AMG version, which is the only one worth buying anyway if you ask me.
I had a W140 94 S500 before I got the LS400 and I loved that car a lot. It drove like a tank and handled great too. It will be the car i compare other cars to for a long time. But like any MB it had stupid problems that cost a lot of money to fix.

Bottom line, if you have money to spare and dont beat on your car often, get a MB.
If you need to save money, or never want to see a mechanic and have a comfortable car, get the Lexus.

And remember, DO NOT BUY MB WITHOUT WARRANTY.
Old 12-11-07, 01:11 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

LS is very boring indeed, I have hard time trying to saying awake driving the car... LS is extremely comfortable. The MB seats I find less comfortable, and the S-Class seems like a much bigger car. The benz does handle better for sure. I would acutally prefer 04 745i, over the S and the LS (it was a little out of my price range, not to mention the problems associated with BMW)... Just MHO...
Old 12-11-07, 02:13 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
Most of the people I know say that MB is a very sensitive and problematic car. Its not the motor or tranny, but mostly other things, like suspension parts, air ride, and little electrical gremlins.

Those are all little bugs that you have to think about. Parts are very expensive, and service too, unless you go to a private mechanic.
Each shock, strut is $1000, then there is a pump that costs and arm and a leg too.

If you want a reliable, trouble free luxury car, LS 430 is the car.
S500 is much more fun, drives like a German car and looks a bit better, if you get the Sport AMG version, which is the only one worth buying anyway if you ask me.

Bottom line, if you have money to spare and dont beat on your car often, get a MB.
If you need to save money, or never want to see a mechanic and have a comfortable car, get the Lexus.

And remember, DO NOT BUY MB WITHOUT WARRANTY.
I agree with ALL of the above.
A regular S class is as "boring" as an LS anyways. Try to find the one with an AMG package.

Remember that just b/c these used S class is dirt cheap doesn't the parts and service have to be either.

Just a couple weekends ago, I had to replace an accelerator pedal. Parts was n't bad-$140 with tax ($200 at the dealer) and took about 10 minutes to do. Stupid dealer told me it was the transmission and there's no way it could be the accelerator pedal

Best if you can find a local mb shop if you don't want to pay the $$$$ at the dealership.
Old 12-11-07, 05:06 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the feedback guys. Keep it coming. As far as the 7 series, we had a 95 one ( 95-01 model type) and it had too many minor problems. Due to that we dont want a newer 745. I would love to get a S55 but it is out of range for a newer one. I'm still debating over LS or S. The LS does have the reliability but to me not an exhilirating drive like the S class. I havent driven the LS430 but I'm comparing to a LS 400.
Old 12-11-07, 09:44 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

A used W220 S55k with like 20-30k miles won't go for much these days (more than a used LS430 of course, but less than the MSRP of the LS430 when new). Don't know if you want to go used, though.
Old 12-12-07, 01:10 AM
SUPRAboy80
Pole Position

Default This LS is NOT boring...

I would recommend selling some of those "in the driveway" cars and getting one of these!!!! This thing makes me HOT!!!!You guys can't tell me this car isn't the bomb!!!!

Last edited by SUPRAboy80; 12-12-07 at 01:13 AM.
Old 12-12-07, 06:01 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

those wheels remind me of TRD wheels i had on my gs... man those wheels are really HOT!!!!
Old 12-12-07, 07:18 PM
RFFG
Lexus Test Driver

LS > S Class...

It's 2 different cars, and I vote LS...not because this is a Lexus forum, but the reliability speaks for itself...
Old 12-13-07, 01:19 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Personally, reliability is the ultimate luxury.

Convenience and hassle free is the best kind of luxury.

I won't own an European car unless I am wealthy enough to have a personal assistant that can take care of all the issues European cars has.

Quick Reply: 04 LS 430 vs 04 s class