LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Found a great rim fittment for LS w/large calipers!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-07, 12:37 PM
Aniki
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Found a great rim fittment for LS w/large calipers!

I'm sure many of you with 430s are faced with the same problem I have. My 2003 LS430 came with the larger front caliper commonly found on the luxury pkg. therefore a lot of the chooses for rims limited me to a very high off-set similar to a front wheel drive car. Finding a aftermarket wheel with a aggressive lip on pretty much a stock car w/stock suspension was pretty hard to fine.

Well, at long last I found a pretty good fitment that is available thanks to the guys at Tanabe USA.
I would recommend the Vienna ZWheel by SSR. You can buy them at www.more-japan.com

3-piece wheel, available in 20's & 22's. blk polish, silver polish, stone silver, black & super chrome.
Unique thing is that they have 2-fitments. NR= normal & HP= High profile (Big Caliper)
I'm currently running:
frt: 20x9 +22HP
rr: 20x10 +24NR
They fit PERFECTLY!!!!
(recommend you roll your fenders)

Tires I recommend are Falkens FK series.
very soft compound (good grip), available in low profiles even for 16 & 17" rims. And specifically designed for luxury style cars, the tires can take the load. The side walls are soft so it is easy to stretch the tires to achieve that VIP look.
Tire spec:
frt: 235/30/20
rr: 245/30/20

I would like to THANK Reggie, James & the guys at Tanabe USA & More Japan.
and to the guys @ Falken Tires.....
Old 12-18-07, 01:02 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn, you better watch the curb with that wheel , looks like there is NO tire protection at all. Which fender did you roll, front or back? On a perfect fitment you shouldn't have to roll, is there any other offset available? Looking good.
Old 12-18-07, 01:06 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks nice
Old 12-18-07, 01:36 PM
Aniki
Driver School Candidate

I only rolled the rear(just to be on the safe side & for fat chicks). didn't touch the front.

here is their off-set chart.
http://www.more-japan.com/VIE/zweel/20inch.php

remember: HP is what you need if your car has the big brakes in the front....
Old 12-18-07, 03:15 PM
anotherLS
Lexus Champion

i bet you could get away with the NR for the fronts with the offset you have might give like another 5mm or so with the lip size...weird they dont offer any low disk??

also Aniki are you on factory air??? i am interested in the new Tanabe coilovers, but Reggie hasn't gotten back to me on them yet
Old 12-18-07, 04:27 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks similar to my wheels. I have Ace Executives, 1-pc cast, @$300 per wheel, with fitments custom from the factory at no extra charge. Perfect fit right from the casting, but I had them shave 2mm off the rear hub to avoid having to roll or shave fenders. Mine are 20x9 38mm front and 20x10 40mm in the rear, 245/35 and 275/30. Also come in chrome or machined/black like yours. I'm sure yours are lighter weight though. Looks good!

Old 12-18-07, 04:43 PM
Aniki
Driver School Candidate

I'm using the ASC680 Data System by R-Spec. along with UFC harness.

Best product on the market if you ask me. It dose not compromise the ride that Lexus is so well known for. It should run you under $500.00.
I spoke with a engineer @ TMS (Toyota Motor Sales in Torrance) & he told me that the LS's active suspension system is one of the best on the market. each one if had to be replace will set you back about $1,600ea. it's integrated with car's ECU changing it's stiffness & height based on speed, pitch & yaw. Taking that out and putting something else aftermarket is like putting a putting a Fiero bodykit on a Enzo Ferrari. Only do it if you blew the OE suspension.

It's easy to put on but I would recommend having it installed by a place like Signal Auto in Torrance. or someplace that can READ Japanese! the unit is simple to put in, but setting it is the hard part. the instruction is all in Japanese?!?!

I remember Tanabe mentioning something about a coilover but I haven't heard anything new yet?! I'm trying to get them to make a exhaust for the UFC30 chassis.
Old 12-18-07, 04:49 PM
anotherLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aniki
I remember Tanabe mentioning something about a coilover but I haven't heard anything new yet?! I'm trying to get them to make a exhaust for the UFC30 chassis.
yah its called the Sustec Pro Five with optional TEAS like Teins EDFC....try to convince them make strut braces for our chassis also!
Old 12-20-07, 02:51 PM
Wheel Boy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ancdmd
Looks similar to my wheels. I have Ace Executives, 1-pc cast, @$300 per wheel, with fitments custom from the factory at no extra charge. Perfect fit right from the casting, but I had them shave 2mm off the rear hub to avoid having to roll or shave fenders. Mine are 20x9 38mm front and 20x10 40mm in the rear, 245/35 and 275/30. Also come in chrome or machined/black like yours. I'm sure yours are lighter weight though. Looks good!

I don't want 2 sound rude but Your Wheels look nothing like his. You are comparing apples to oranges. You can not compare a 1 piece to a 3 piece. I don't know why you would down grade to those rims from the stock ones that came with it. You spent all that money on an amazing Lexus and you went out and put those rims on. Whats next some seat covers and altezza tail lights?

And another thing how do they have "fitments custom from the factory at no extra charge. Perfect fit right from the casting, but I had them shave 2mm off the rear hub to avoid having to roll or shave fenders.

Last edited by Wheel Boy; 12-20-07 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Forgot stuff
Old 12-20-07, 08:23 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Wheel Boy
I don't want 2 sound rude but Your Wheels look nothing like his. You are comparing apples to oranges. You can not compare a 1 piece to a 3 piece. I don't know why you would down grade to those rims from the stock ones that came with it. You spent all that money on an amazing Lexus and you went out and put those rims on. Whats next some seat covers and altezza tail lights?

And another thing how do they have "fitments custom from the factory at no extra charge. Perfect fit right from the casting, but I had them shave 2mm off the rear hub to avoid having to roll or shave fenders.
Actually you do sound rude. I said they look similar, as in they are simlar in their multispoke design. Of course I know a 1-pc wheel is different than a 3-pc wheel, so is the friggin' price, which is why I said mine cost only around $300 each. I'm not sure why you say its a downgrade, I have had nothing but positive feedback about them. Maybe you're not a fan of the way they look in the pics. I must say in person the finish is very good and definitely not cheap-looking, and I feel my camera did not capture the true finish of the wheels.

If I wanted to get seat covers and Altezza taillights, I'd have also put on some chintzy chrome rims from Pep Boys. What about the Wald Kit? Is that a downgrade too?!?!

By custom fitments, I meant that I could order the wheel with a different offset than shelf stock, which is not typical of 1-pc wheels. The offset of the rear wheel from the factory is 38mm, like the front, which would probably be just fine and not require fender rolling, but I wanted to be safe so I ordered a 40mm offset. They cleared the calipers, the offsets work, they are hubcentric, look great, and the car still rides just fine; considering what I paid, I can't ask for much more. I'll take the 3 grand I saved and invest it towards a new LS someday.
Old 12-20-07, 08:33 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aniki
3-piece wheel, available in 20's & 22's. blk polish, silver polish, stone silver, black & super chrome.
Unique thing is that they have 2-fitments. NR= normal & HP= High profile (Big Caliper)
I'm currently running:
frt: 20x9 +22HP
rr: 20x10 +24NR
They fit PERFECTLY!!!!
(recommend you roll your fenders)
Wheel Boy, where's your comment for Aniki for saying his wheels fit PERFECTLY when he's the one rolling the fenders?

Seems to me that if I pay all this money for such a great car, the last thing I want to do is ROLL THE DAMN FENDERS. In my book thats a "downgrade!"

But if Aniki wants to do that, that's fine, his car and his wheels still look great.
Old 12-20-07, 10:35 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I like the finish of the wheels and the way they compliment your car. Very nice!
Old 12-21-07, 11:43 AM
Wheel Boy
Rookie

Originally Posted by ancdmd
Wheel Boy, where's your comment for Aniki for saying his wheels fit PERFECTLY when he's the one rolling the fenders?

Seems to me that if I pay all this money for such a great car, the last thing I want to do is ROLL THE DAMN FENDERS. In my book thats a "downgrade!"

But if Aniki wants to do that, that's fine, his car and his wheels still look great.
I'm not a big fan of Rolled fenders but, Aniki's car looks good. He must have taken it to a shop that knew what they were doing. I've never heard of anyone shaving the rear hub. Is that even safe?
Old 12-21-07, 12:01 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

excellent look for that car. glad you're not scared to do a little rolling, that's the only way to get a true perfect fitment!
Old 12-21-07, 12:54 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

In most cases as the car drops, it "butterfly" into the wheel well so may times you won't need to roll the fender. I've seen some major mistake when you don't have the correct tool to roll it. Kids often time just hammer the hell out of it instead of getting a true radius roller.

Quick Reply: Found a great rim fittment for LS w/large calipers!